THROTTLE CABLE MOD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
THROTTLE CABLE MOD

Hey the thread I was reading is closed and I did the mod so I wanted to ask someone with experience... I did the gas pedal mod where you put the spacer in... however when I push down on the gas pedal the top section where the spacer is turns side ways.. still takes up the slacked cable of course but I was curious if that's normal.. does yours stay straight or bend the throttle cable when the pedal is pushed down.. scared it will snap at the top... please respond
like the spacer ends up side ways when the pedal is pushed down it doesn't stay straight with the cable, worried that the bending will snap the cable.. ahh hope someone understands and to get a responce
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yes, if you mash the gas super hard with the pedal mod done you can potentially snap the cable.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Road Trip!

do you have the mod done.. I was wondering if you managed to keep the cable straight or if it bends side ways when you accelerate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

No i have not done the mod yet... I want to though, just never really got around to it.

HID end all thread
Old 09-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Road Trip!

oh thanks for the reply but im looking for someone who has experience doing this... please anyone
Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I did the mod to mine and it was standing up, so I undid it because I was wondering if it would snap. I don't know if it would or not, but I took it off anyway. You could probably engineer a way to keep it flat.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Road Trip!

ahh so yours bent also when you push down the pedal... I see a lot of pics online of how it should look with the zip tie method or spacer method installed but none of the people pushing down the pedal afterwards... just wondering if that bend in the cable will later result in it breaking or the wires splintering
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine doesn't bend at all..what did you use as a spacer? BTW I've had this on all my stangs. Years of use no snapping.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
No i have not done the mod yet... I want to though, just never really got around to it.
What's the benefit
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Road Trip!

I tried two diff ways... first way was a nylon spacer I cut then used two metal clamps to tighten down and when you push on the pedal it turned side ways... still worked perfectly but went side ways... and rite now I just have 4 zip ties on it haha found it on another site.. same thing tho, push down and it turns... I was kind of starting to think it was normal... I know this is a lot to ask but could you post a pic with your pedal pushed all the way down and what your spacer is doing. I don't see how to keep it straight ....

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

oh man its well worth it... it brings your pedal up about an inch and a half so as soon as you start to push on it you go... what took you half throttle to get to before is now achieved with just barely touching the gas pedal
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

What's the benefit
You know how the gas pedal sits more inward than the brake, it pretty much makes it level with the brake, so slightly better throttle response because you took out the slack, and it will be easier to heel-toe shift.

HID end all thread
Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I had to do this to my Mach when I got it, the last owner had a supercharger and I think the cable was a little to long for stock set up (this helped me buy the car cheap as the idiots at the ford dealership didn't know why it was running bad...it was only getting around half throttle) Yes it bends and I can feel it when it hits that point when I'm driving but its not bad. 3 month and no snap... knock on wood...
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Road Trip!

I did the gas pedal mod, but I used this..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1565985348.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	128606

They're wire tap connectors I got at RadioShack n I just pulled the little metal part on. It slides onto the cable n snaps shut.

If I step on it they'll unsnap tho so I'm gonna put one one n crazy glue it shut lol. It wasn't an inch long tho I don't think. But it was perfect enough that I could floor it n not worry about it snapping.

There's no "physical" way I could tell, but u can just kinda tell when u know ur car I guess. But yeah perfect length
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Name:	image-2295663234.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	128607
Old 09-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
from the looks of that thing it is just way to short to be of any use...plus it's pinching the cable...

here's how i have mine...1" nylon spacer...doesn't bend when pressed...super easy to install and i have had it for over a year on this car alone. it was also used on my GT.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Where did u find those?? I can't find em ANYWHERE!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where did u find those?? I can't find em ANYWHERE!
Ace Hardware for 15 cents...then i bought a clamp. used a hacksaw to cut it so it'd slide over the cable.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #18
Road Trip!

hey 1slosix I did the same thing but when I push down the accelerator and the slack in the cable at the top where the spacer is it tends to just go side ways... I don't see how it could stay straight unless that spacer was somehow attached to the pedal like a long tube the wire has to go threw... because once there is space between the pedal and spacer its weight turns it... thanks for the pic. is there anyways u could push down on the pedal and take a pic to show... like with the space between the spacer and pedal.... mine stays straight when its just sitting there as well but use your one hand and push down the pedal u will see what I mean... thanks alot
Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Look this is mine works perfect n it doesn't "pinch" the cable at all. It slides on to the cable n an extra little flap snaps on n holds the little piece on there. I put some krazy glue so it wouldn't unsnap itself open n voila. No zip ties n metal things lol.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Look this is mine works perfect n it doesn't "pinch" the cable at all. It slides on to the cable n an extra little flap snaps on n holds the little piece on there. I put some krazy glue so it wouldn't unsnap itself open n voila. No zip ties n metal things lol.

Name:	image-1921339749.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	128870
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Road Trip!

thanks for everyone responding but I think your all missing my question hah... once ur spacer is on, stay under ur dash and push down on the pedal to wot by hand, and does your spacer stay in line with the cable or does it bend to the side?...I ask the question trying to figure out if the bend is enough to over time weatr the cable out at the bend and break apart... I think my zip ties would break before the cable but still it could make a crease and make it brittle
Old 09-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

As I've said I've had the spacer for years on multiple mustangs no issue.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Here is my spacer fully pressed on. No bend

Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've just got zip ties lol. Been on for about a year now. Not sure what yall are talking about with the throttle cable snapping buuuut if it does just get a new one then theres no need for this mode anyway
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Actually there is a need for this mod... makes heel toe driving so much easier. The slack isn't from being an old cable...the slack is just how ford designed it.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You guys inspired me to go out and try it. I had some quarter inch hose that's not really hard, so it will probably wear out instantly, also 3 zip ties holding the hose closed. I have a 94 gt and I had about an inch and a quarter of slack to pull up. Anyway I tested my petal and to achieve the full throttle stop click I had to mash the petal deep in to my carpet. I also like the even petal hight better heel to toe as mentioned. With the cheap plastic hose and zip ties mine seems to curl a tiny bit upwards, I really don't see this as being a problem because my hose will collapse before the cable can harm itself. The only thin I can see going wrong is if you use all your slack and mash the petal to the carpet. Because there's no bump stop for the cable, once the throttle body is full open and you keep pressing the cable will inevitably snap. Long as you know the threshold you can mash it BUT NOT TO THE FLOOR. Otherwise this is a genius mod that takes no time and no money. Also if you feel incapable of remembering not to mash it to the carpet than construct a stopper behind the petal so at full throttle, behind the petal has a stopper. But in regard the original question no I don't think the mod will break the cable from it curling in any direction, my cable has a black plastic seat in te metal hole witch the cable runs through, this plastic guide won't allow any cutting/chafeing to harm the cable.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Awesome pics guys. My 97 cobra needed the cable mod bad. Traded that puppy in before I got around to it.

I wonder what the diameter of u spacer is 1slosix? Is it just PVC?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Awesome pics guys. My 97 cobra needed the cable mod bad. Traded that puppy in before I got around to it.

I wonder what the diameter of u spacer is 1slosix? Is it just PVC?
it's nylon. i walked into an ace hardware and said i need a 1" nylon spacer. the guy walks into an isle and brings me one. it was 15 cents...i used a hack saw to cut it length wise so it'd slide over my cable...then used a metal clamp to close it tight.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Home Depot carries them too.
Calandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I used a 1/4 x 1" lag shield on mine and it works great. They are a 2 piece metal lag and I used two small zip ties to hold them together. Stays upright when I mash the throttle.
99stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Well after reading this thread you guys inspired me to go out and do this myself. I've been having issues with may foot catching the gas pedal when threshold braking and transitioning back to the gas pedal at the road course. I'm going back in a couple weeks so i'm looking forward to seeing if this fixes my problem. The mod itself was fairly easy to do up until I tried tightening the band clamps up. I'm not sure if my issue was being left handed or what but I just couldn't get a good angle to get my ratchet on the clamp bolt. It took me about a half hour total for install.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Just so you know I am left handed as well and yes it was a pain, but I got it. Lol
99stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
Hey the thread I was reading is closed and I did the mod so I wanted to ask someone with experience... I did the gas pedal mod where you put the spacer in... however when I push down on the gas pedal the top section where the spacer is turns side ways.. still takes up the slacked cable of course but I was curious if that's normal.. does yours stay straight or bend the throttle cable when the pedal is pushed down.. scared it will snap at the top... please respond
like the spacer ends up side ways when the pedal is pushed down it doesn't stay straight with the cable, worried that the bending will snap the cable.. ahh hope someone understands and to get a responce
Post a pic of it getting sideways
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Butch, do you see under the user names of a couple of people in this thread, Mustangman being one, where it says"Road trip!"?

Yeah, those guys aren't all on some glorious cruise, travelling the interstates together...

That is this website's way of politely saying... BANNED!!!!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Hey Butch, do you see under the user names of a couple of people in this thread, Mustangman being one, where it says"Road trip!"?

Yeah, those guys aren't all on some glorious cruise, travelling the interstates together...

That is this website's way of politely saying... BANNED!!!!
Jajaja aahhhhh I see. Thought it was funny that some had the same
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT