a overheating GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #1

Region: Kentucky
a overheating GT

My 01' GT decided that it wanted to overheat today, and I don't understand how it's doing this unless it could possibly be the water pump. I replaced the thermostat and sending unit couple of days ago. I also noticed that the fan quit working. I am dumb founded... has this happened to any of you?
seth.childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth.childers View Post
My 01' GT decided that it wanted to overheat today, and I don't understand how it's doing this unless it could possibly be the water pump. I replaced the thermostat and sending unit couple of days ago. I also noticed that the fan quit working. I am dumb founded... has this happened to any of you?
Could be a couple things ..

You installed the thermostat wrong
Your head gaskets are no good
You have a air pocket in your system
You didn't connect the sending unit correctly
Fans aren't kicking on when they need to
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
IMO its not a coincidence that this his happening right after you did the tstat.

Did you check the tstat in boiling water before you installed it? Are you SURE you installed it correctly and not backwards? Are you sure the sending unit is good and properly connected? Did you burp the system when you were done? Did you check for anything crudded up that you might have jostled when you did the install?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
IMO its not a coincidence that this his happening right after you did the tstat.

Did you check the tstat in boiling water before you installed it? Are you SURE you installed it correctly and not backwards? Are you sure the sending unit is good and properly connected? Did you burp the system when you were done? Did you check for anything crudded up that you might have jostled when you did the install?
I did test the thermostat in boiling water, and it was alright. I'm positive that I installed everything correctly, but I'll check again. The only thing I didn't do was burp the cooling system.. I'll try that and see how that goes.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I did test the thermostat in boiling water, and it was alright. I'm positive that I installed everything correctly, but I'll check again. The only thing I didn't do was burp the cooling system.. I'll try that and see how that goes.
Easy way to do is just open your radiator resv cap and start engine and just let car warm up , until all the air comes out of your cooling system
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

What is it with ppl not burping their coolant systems after doing maintenance on it? Have fun lifting a head when your car overheats because you couldn't be bothered to take the time to do it right...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #7

I burped the system this morning, and checked everything out making sure I didn't install anything wrong. I drove down the street to see if I fixed the problem... well, it started overheating again. I noticed that my fan wasn't working still, so I unhooked the sending unit and it came back on. So I tried again and drove down the street.. hoping that would help, but it didn't.. it still overheats! I believe I will take it to Ford on Monday if I can't figure it out.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I burped the system this morning, and checked everything out making sure I didn't install anything wrong. I drove down the street to see if I fixed the problem... well, it started overheating again. I noticed that my fan wasn't working still, so I unhooked the sending unit and it came back on. So I tried again and drove down the street.. hoping that would help, but it didn't.. it still overheats! I believe I will take it to Ford on Monday if I can't figure it out.
Check your oil dipstick and make sure it doesn't have water or coolant on it
Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'd recommend you pull the tstat back out and make sure its opening at the correct temp in a pot of boiling water and a digital food thermometer. Also make sure its not installed backwards which happens to the best of us.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT