CAI + Tuner question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
CAI + Tuner question

First off I want to say that I am car illiterate when it comes to this kind of stuff. I am looking at purchasing a CAI but while looking for them I see CAI + tuner kits. What difference does the tuner provide than just purchasing the CAI itself? I see that some CAI say they get your 5+ HP but I see CAI + tuner kits claiming to get 30+ hp. Can someone please explain and maybe suggest a good kit to go with?

Thank You,
Bill
Bill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The tuner makes a big difference and can tune your mods to make more of an impact and bang for your buck, if you're going cai any will work pretty fine they all have the same job and tuner am's sf3 is what I recommend with tunes for life. Then get you some gears and you'll have a totally different car! Hope this helps
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
The tuner makes a big difference and can tune your mods to make more of an impact and bang for your buck, if you're going cai any will work pretty fine they all have the same job and tuner am's sf3 is what I recommend with tunes for life. Then get you some gears and you'll have a totally different car! Hope this helps
Thank you, the only performance mods I have is an exhaust. Its flowmaster just not sure which kind, because it came on the car when I purchased it. So I would only have the exhaust and the CAI. Would the tuner be worth it for my car? Its a 2000 GT automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36 View Post

Thank you, the only performance mods I have is an exhaust. Its flowmaster just not sure which kind, because it came on the car when I purchased it. So I would only have the exhaust and the CAI. Would the tuner be worth it for my car? Its a 2000 GT automatic.
Yes, just yes
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yesssssss

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Gears/tuner are the two best bolt on mods.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so it seems like everyone is saying yes to the CAI + Tuner. Now any recommendations? I appreciate all of your help. This forum is the only place I can ever get real answers from people.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Id do the gears/tuner combo instead but bbk makes a cheap cai, I wouldn't pay a ton for a name that does the same as every other.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, I know different year and engine but same principle. Just did a CAI/axlebacks/gears (2.73 to 3.73)/tuner upgrade on my "11 3.7/auto. Unfortunately I never timed it before the mods so I have no data to compare, but I can definitely say that it made a crazy difference. Out on a country road in the sticks I stomped on it from a stop and massive hard shift into second turning it sideways. Scared the crap out of me, not expecting that. Tried it again and was just totally amazed at the difference this made.

All in all about $1,200 invested, worth every cent. The tune seems to find every bit of extra hp it can arrange along with giving the tranny a firm upshift capability. Haven't yet tried the race and performance tunes.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I think the gears change might be to much for me right now. I am still interested in doing a CAI and a tuner. Can you use tuners on 2 different cars? My dad has a 98 GT and I have an 00 GT I see some tuners say they work on our years just not sure if you can use it on 2 vehicles or not.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
I think the gears change might be to much for me right now. I am still interested in doing a CAI and a tuner. Can you use tuners on 2 different cars? My dad has a 98 GT and I have an 00 GT I see some tuners say they work on our years just not sure if you can use it on 2 vehicles or not.
You can only mate the tuner to one vehicle at a time. If you purchase a tuner from American muscle you will also get free tunes for life, which means if you decided to add more bolt on modifications to you car you can contact Bama and they will create a tune file for you.

If you were to return your car to the stock tune, you can then use the tuner on your dads I believe, but would no longer have the free tunes for life. He would only be able to use the 3 tunes the tuner comes with from factory.
SonicBlueRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueRider View Post
You can only mate the tuner to one vehicle at a time. If you purchase a tuner from American muscle you will also get free tunes for life, which means if you decided to add more bolt on modifications to you car you can contact Bama and they will create a tune file for you.

If you were to return your car to the stock tune, you can then use the tuner on your dads I believe, but would no longer have the free tunes for life. He would only be able to use the 3 tunes the tuner comes with from factory.
Ah crap, ok thanks. We were trying to save money and only purchase one!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If that was possible SCT wouldn't be in business. lol

Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Gears/tuner are the two best bolt on mods.
+1 gears will make it feel like a completely different car, sadly I can't install any rn bc of my long drives everyday
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

3.73s wont kill it

Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
3.73s wont kill it
410s ftw
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I averaged 23.79 mpg with 3.73's mixed city/highway mainly city on street tune.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT
I averaged 23.79 mpg with 3.73's mixed city/highway mainly city on street tune.
Holy **** I'm making less than that with stock gears
Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My bolt on / 373 geared GT got up to 25 mpg

I miss that mpg
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Same I miss my 2v gas mileage. That's a con of a 4v
Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

+1 for 4.10s!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Is that why u have to return the car to stock before u can upload the tune to ur tuner?

Can't the OP use this form:
http://bama.americanmuscle.com/custom.php
Fill it out twice under the main account.
Only with the other cars info the second time.
Load both tunes on the tuner.
Load one tune disconnect
Load the other car disconnect
Maybe this will work lol
Have fun modding btw!
It's addicting! Haha
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Is that why u have to return the car to stock before u can upload the tune to ur tuner?

Can't the OP use this form:
http://bama.americanmuscle.com/custom.php
Fill it out twice under the main account.
Only with the other cars info the second time.
Load both tunes on the tuner.
Load one tune disconnect
Load the other car disconnect
Maybe this will work lol
Have fun modding btw!
It's addicting! Haha
In order to use the tuner with a second vehicle, the first vehicle must be returned to stock tune I'm pretty sure so both can't be tuned at the same time
Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So everyone seems to be telling me to change my gears, but honestly I do not think I can right now. I personally do not know how to do it. If I choose to just go with CAI + Tuner does anyone have any recommended CAI's?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
...does anyone have any recommended CAI's?
They are all basically the same performance wise, some are just cooler looking than others. Your choice...
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
First off I want to say that I am car illiterate when it comes to this kind of stuff. I am looking at purchasing a CAI but while looking for them I see CAI + tuner kits. What difference does the tuner provide than just purchasing the CAI itself? I see that some CAI say they get your 5+ HP but I see CAI + tuner kits claiming to get 30+ hp. Can someone please explain and maybe suggest a good kit to go with?

Thank You,
Bill
You definitely want to do a CAI and Tuner Combo kit. Like you listed above, you'll see about 5+RWHP from just a CAI on your New Edge Mustang. However, if you pair it together with a Bama custom tune you'll see 20+ RWHP and 20+ RWTQ.

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

These guys have also made some great recommendations for you. Gears are one of the most beneficial mods you can do in any Mustang. A set of 3.73's or 4.10's will turn your car into a completely different animal!

I hope this helps. Hit up the Bama team if you have any questions or need some assistance! You can reach them at the contact information in my signature.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
You definitely want to do a CAI and Tuner Combo kit. Like you listed above, you'll see about 5+RWHP from just a CAI on your New Edge Mustang. However, if you pair it together with a Bama custom tune you'll see 20+ RWHP and 20+ RWTQ.

For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

These guys have also made some great recommendations for you. Gears are one of the most beneficial mods you can do in any Mustang. A set of 3.73's or 4.10's will turn your car into a completely different animal!

I hope this helps. Hit up the Bama team if you have any questions or need some assistance! You can reach them at the contact information in my signature.

-Dan
Wow thanks for the help. Again thanks everyone for all of your answers! I do appreciate you taking your time to respond to my thread.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

No problem, if you do decide to get a cai get the cheapest so you can save some money.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
No problem, if you do decide to get a cai get the cheapest so you can save some money.
+1 buy a cheap ebay one for 30$ and buy a K&N filter..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
+1 buy a cheap ebay one for 30$ and buy a K&N filter..
So its the actual filter that helps with performance not necessarily the tube? if that's the best thing to call it lol sorry for all of the questions I just want to make sure I completely understand this!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I payed 180 for my bbk cai, kinda regret it with all these things being said: (
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The intake itself provides such little hp, if any, that it doesn't really matter what brand you choose. Just don't go with a generic filter because it will probably let in more particles through than say a bbk or k&n filter. Not sure how good the sr intake filter is from american muscle, but its probably one of the cheaper kits out there that is likely to have good fitment. Maybe you could use that till its time to change the filter and just get a k&n afterwards.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The intake itself provides such little hp, if any, that it doesn't really matter what brand you choose. Just don't go with a generic filter because it will probably let in more particles through than say a bbk or k&n filter. Not sure how good the sr intake filter is from american muscle, but its probably one of the cheaper kits out there that is likely to have good fitment. Maybe you could use that till its time to change the filter and just get a k&n afterwards.
That's not a bad idea, I could always try that one. Plus its on sale right now. Let's say I don't try that would these 2 items work?

New Cold Air Intake Oiled Ford Mustang 2003 2002 2001 2000 99 98 97 96 1999 1998 | eBay

New K N Air Filter Ford Mustang 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 99 98 97 96 RF 1036 | eBay

It seems complicated to me so I might just stick with that SR from AM but not sure at the moment.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's not a bad idea, I could always try that one. Plus its on sale right now. Let's say I don't try that would these 2 items work?

New Cold Air Intake Oiled Ford Mustang 2003 2002 2001 2000 99 98 97 96 1999 1998 | eBay

New K N Air Filter Ford Mustang 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 99 98 97 96 RF 1036 | eBay

It seems complicated to me so I might just stick with that SR from AM but not sure at the moment.
Yea, that's what sixpac was saying earlier in the thread. Should work fine
Old 09-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, that's what sixpac was saying earlier in the thread. Should work fine
Ok cool, I just wasn't sure how the replacement cone would just fit since it wasn't made for that specific one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cai