Battery problem... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Battery problem...

Hey guys. I recently bought a 98 GT. The cheap Wal-Mart Neverstart battery was dead and corroded, so I got a new battery and new cable hook ups (even got the little felt doughnut rings that help with corrosion). This was two weeks ago. Cleaned the cables with wire brush and everything was dandy. I noticed today more corrosion on the ground terminal, and when I took it off to clean there was more than I thought. Anybody know what could cause this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-805107604.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	129193  
Grrrr.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
They will do that. Clean it off and put some grease over it

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Moisture and crud get in there and it can happen. The battery box on these isn't exactly in the greatest location. Being at the front of the car its one of the first areas where junk goes. There's a reason a lot of cars have them mounted on the firewall meow. Just keep it clean. You could also relocate it to the trunk like lots of us do. I have to get on that with mine soon actually... soon as I drop the tank to do the pump.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Cool cool. Thanks for the help guys. I'll go get terminal grease for now. Maybe relocate down the road.
Grrrr.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Any grease will work. Well not like cooking grease lol.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The best fix is to buy an optima yellow top!!!!
Voila no more terminal corrosion : )
Redlsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Stick a penny slightly under one of those caps, just enough that it stays. All the corrosion will go to the penny and stay off the terminals, I know it sounds cheesy but we do it on all our cars and it works great
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlsea View Post
The best fix is to buy an optima yellow top!!!!
Voila no more terminal corrosion : )
Expensive but good solution. IIRC its an Optima 610 Yellow Top that fits under the stock hood with a universal hold-down $10 kit from Autozone. Had one one my Cobra for years and it never failed to come back from no charge (car sat too much...). NEVER buy a Red Top, I have no idea why ppl do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
Stick a penny slightly under one of those caps, just enough that it stays. All the corrosion will go to the penny and stay off the terminals, I know it sounds cheesy but we do it on all our cars and it works great
Not cheesy at all, works like a champ. Also 1 cent vs $200 and you don't need a hold down kit. Yellow tops are great if your car sits for extended periods outside or under a car port and you don't have access to an outlet for a battery tender. Although if that's the case you should pull the battery and bring it inside and put it on a tender honestly...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have a red top optima

Been awesome
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Couldn't agree more on the red top optima. When I had my fox I put one in, had to replace it twice in a year and the 3rd time I just demanded a refund. Ive heard good things about the yellow top but ive been reluctant to buy another optima
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I have a red top optima

Been awesome
They're awesome until you have a charging issue or the car sits for an extended time for some reason and the battery dies completely. Reds aren't deep cycle like the Yellows are.

Honestly unless you have a high compression motor that needs a beefy starter/battery Optimas are COMPLETELY overkill anyway. The Napa special in mine fires right up every time all the time. Same deal with all the Mustangs I've had. I only had a Yellow in my Cobra after I did the HCI and the old starter got swapped out with a high torque for the initial starts. That regular battery with the high torque and near 11:1 was not a happy camper, Yellow top spun that ***** over like a champ.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT