Intake Manifold and CAms for 2000 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Region: Mexico
Intake Manifold and CAms for 2000 gt

Hey there,

I am new in this forum, I currently own a auto 2000 GT with 58,684 miles in the ODO.

I am from Puerto Vallarta, MExico so hopefully that won't be an issue to help

I bought my car with:

MAc Pro Chamber
Magnaflow Cat back
Probably some gears but haven't checked it out.

Mods I have put in:

CAI (currently in Short ram since in this time of the year floods are very common)
75mm TB
Trick Flow Plenum
BBK Pulleys (piggyback)
Bama r 93oct Tune

I am looking into buying some Intake manifolds, Headers and CAMS in which i new your advise:

Budget is tight and I am not planning on FI, this bolts ons for power and then going to Suspension.

I am planing on buying this headers:

TF9603 Mustang 2V 1-5/8" L/T Headers 2-1/2" Collectors Ceramic Coated 1996-2004 | CJ Pony Parts

Intake Manifold:

Edelbrock Victor Jr. EFI Mustang Intake Manifold (99-04 GT) 28385
with new fuel rail

and cams:

im between this:

CMS 2v Stage 2 N/A Cams - Cushman Motorsports

or

Comp Cams Stage 2 Xtreme Energy XE268H Mustang Camshafts (96-04 GT) 102200

probably going to buy them with the new retainers and valve spring on AM they sell to adjustable cams are this really necessary?

Also my plan is just have more juice in my car than normal mustangs, or other cars; this is my daily car and I go to drag strip once a month, i currently beat a lot of cars and also a lot of cars woop my a** so i think with this i will have some good car to race with once in a while.

My concern here are the cams, i don't quite understand in cams i need a stall converter , what is this and how would it affect my driving, will it be uncomfortable or really bad on gas mileage?

I already did a couple of question on some other forums but i want to have the most knowledge before spending the big bucks.

how much RWHP you car will be delivering with this.

some pics of the car.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mac and magnaflow.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	129310   Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 Mustang GT Front.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	129311  

exceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
They really aren't worth the money, they'll be mainly for sound and you probably won't even break 50 added hp with them. It's easier for the 4v's to do bolt ons or plan on doing forced induction as thats the best way to power up our modulars. Welcome also.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
You intake manifold is bound to crack, so just upgrade it when it does
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hola!

The first thing I would do is check to see what you have for gears. I'd go 4.10's if you don't have them already. Dont worry about your intake, the stock one is plenty good for power unless you get crazy cams and it moves your power band up over 6000 rpms. Cams are gonna make your car sound great, and you will notice an increase in power ( amount will pend on the cams you go with) and the Comp 268's you mentioned would compliment it nicely. If your doing springs too i'd consider a 270 (I think that's the next one up) But I would also look into a 3000-3200 stall converter as well. Check out how to do a J-mod, or get a shift kit too. With gears, stall, shift kit, and cams (plus your current mods), you'll be a high 12-low 13 sec car for sure (pending how good a driver you are)

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
You intake manifold is bound to crack, so just upgrade it when it does
Yeah make sure when it does you get a stock intake (Dorman brand maybe) with aluminium crossover.

With longtubes you'll need a new midpipe, or you'll have to cut yours down. Go with shorties, they are a ton easier to put on and your not gonna notice a big difference amyways without going with an F.I. setup.

Since you said money is short, I wouldn't focus on the cams right now, but maybe you should focus on the suspension. A great suspension will make your car hook much better than stock, and you will be quicker in the 1/4, and around corners. Look into some LCA's from MM or Steeda.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Roguestang;1799856]Hola!

The first thing I would do is check to see what you have for gears. I'd go 4.10's if you don't have them already. Dont worry about your intake, the stock one is plenty good for power unless you get crazy cams and it moves your power band up over 6000 rpms. Cams are gonna make your car sound great, and you will notice an increase in power ( amount will pend on the cams you go with) and the Comp 268's you mentioned would compliment it nicely. If your doing springs too i'd consider a 270 (I think that's the next one up) But I would also look into a 3000-3200 stall converter as well. Check out how to do a J-mod, or get a shift kit too. With gears, stall, shift kit, and cams (plus your current mods), you'll be a high 12-low 13 sec car for sure (pending how good a driver you are)

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Yeah make sure when it does you get a stock intake (Dorman brand maybe) with aluminium crossover.

Ok so i will leave intake manifold on hold for now, in cams if I go for the 268 then i don't need to change valve spring and retainers? or should i get full with retainer, springs and adjustable.

Never thought on the stall converter but damn they are expensive, I hate to start lower the 2,000 revs because of wheel spin though so i will give a hard though on this one.

What exactly is the J mod?

Labor hand here is cheap so they told me no problem on cutting and welding to fit LT, about 30bucks for both side cutted and welded, I like more the sound of LT then shorties hehe.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Hola!

With longtubes you'll need a new midpipe, or you'll have to cut yours down. Go with shorties, they are a ton easier to put on and your not gonna notice a big difference amyways without going with an F.I. setup.

Since you said money is short, I wouldn't focus on the cams right now, but maybe you should focus on the suspension. A great suspension will make your car hook much better than stock, and you will be quicker in the 1/4, and around corners. Look into some LCA's from MM or Steeda.
+1 here. Roguestang just dropped some nice knowledge here and considering ur original thoughts its sound advice. Once you knock some of these bolt ons out cams will def be nice. U won't be the fastest guy on the block probably but u will def hang. Also look into drag radials too these will help your gears.
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #7

should i go with 268 or 270 cams, stage I or II, i will stay NA
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Do not buy a Dorman manifold!!!!!!!!!!!!!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Do not buy a Dorman manifold!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got a Dorman on mine. 2 of my buddy's haave them on their PI swaps, as well as a few other guys I know who have 99' and 00' GT's. They've been on for 5+ years with no problems. Why do you say that?

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Because they suck...
I have no worries because... Well, you know....
But someone on here just sent one back because of fitment issues and there have been other stories.
BEWARE OF DORMAN!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm ok. They use the OEM Ford molds. I've ran nitrous in mine, two of the guys are blown and no issues. Guess we all got lucky then.......lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

They can't all be bad.
Dorman wouldn't be selling any manifolds if they were.
Probably the 11 year old Chinese kids that are making them, are getting tired near the end of their 16 hour shift, and knocking out a bad one now and then...

I may have read that, again, some of them, may not flow as well as the factory manifold.
This isn't an issue for my car, so, I'm not 100% sure on that.

The thread where it was sent back, was because of the plastic being deformed and the bolt holes not lining up, I believe...
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
They can't all be bad.
Dorman wouldn't be selling any manifolds if they were.
Probably the 11 year old Chinese kids that are making them, are getting tired near the end of their 16 hour shift, and knocking out a bad one now and then...

I may have read that, again, some of them, may not flow as well as the factory manifold.
This isn't an issue for my car, so, I'm not 100% sure on that.

The thread where it was sent back, was because of the plastic being deformed and the bolt holes not lining up, I believe...
Lol i chuckled at the first part of that....

I'm sure that's true!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Always Ford products
Nothing less
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Hi, welcome !!!!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT