Need mechanical advice please!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Region: Delaware
Need mechanical advice please!!!

Hey guys I need some help. I have an 02 mustang gt and I'm wondering if I can get some advice on what you guys think is wrong with it. The check engine light is on, the codes are 0316 (misfire first 1000 revs) 0301 ( misfire cylinder #1) and 1131 (bank 1 lean) and it's def misfiring but when I wind out like 1st or 2nd gear it starts sputtering pretty bad and i hear a kinda light tapping/clicking noise then after 30seconds or so it goes away and starts running the way it was. The car runs good besides the misfire, no running hot nothing like that, anyway my question does it sound like a bent/burnt valve, valve spring,seat or something completely diff? Thanks
Chadillac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
i would check something far easier first. Swap cyl #1 cop with one of the other 7 to see if the misfire stays or follows the cop. Also inspect the plugs for wear/tear and that they're properly seated/torqued. May need to idle relearn then rescan for codes.
As for the tapping noise, i dunno... but more powerful wizards will soon descend upon your thread
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Those three codes mean something together if it was me I'd have it diagnosed by a shop u trust or a good wrench on here. I've been through the multiple code thing on a GTA an O2 sensor, EGR and if I remember right rich fuel equal bad cats. I spent a chunk of time and money replacing the O2 sensor and EGR (under the TPI plenum) with no results took it to a reputable shop the tech disconnected my exhaust before the cats after reading the codes and test drove it screamin up the street! Lesson for me don't just start replacing high dollar sensors if multiple codes are present!
Mystic96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm guessing over 100k on it? When was the last time you did a tune up? If you recently got the car that should have been the very fist thing. Fluids/plugs/COPs and at least check the O2s with a torch and a multimeter if not replace them.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #5

Region: Delaware
Def some good advice guys thanks. I did just get the car, it has 113k on it but I can see it has aftermarket coils on it and it has a straight h pipe so I gotta put the cats back on today. I'll do that and change the plugs,coils, fluids and hope for the best.
Chadillac34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Aftermarket COPs = failsauce. $45 a pop at Rockauto is the best price you'll find for them. Sucks because you have to do all 8 but consider it an investment in the car not running like ***/blowing the motor for awhile. 113k is not a big deal for a well maintained modular. Cannot say the same for the rest of the car without seeing it lol. Also might be a good time to do the O2s while you are at it. I've had good luck with Densos I've gotten from Rockauto as well in the past.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT