Oil - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I don't like to go that far in between changes but the oils these days can do it, just make sure you are using a higher end filter like a WIX (Napa) unit. I like to do it every 3-5k miles on mine. And in all honesty I will go to a higher end oil when I build my Teksid but it will be M1, not RP or Amsoil or anything. M1 is on the same level as those two and you can often get deals on it in the gallon or 5qt jugs or catch a sale at Wal Mart or wherever. Hit up bobistheoilguy for more info on erl than you can shake a stick at.
Been using motor craft but swapping to wix xp this next change
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
You'll feel a weight difference that is quite substantial with the WIX filter. That's because its all metal (gasp!) construction on the inside vs stuff like the garbage Fram ones that are literally cardboard, plastic and glue one the inside.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #38
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
+1 I run synthetic moblie 1 and change it every two months or 2500k miles whatever comes first..
If you change your oil that often, and at such low mileage, then you should consider using a semi synthetic such as Motercraft or comparable, and save about 15 bucks at each oil change. You are not gaining any wear protection at all by using full synthetic and changing it every two months or 2500 miles. The purpose of full synthetic is to extend the length of the oil change interval, or for extreem usage, such as pulling a trailer, or race type conditions.

I use full synthetic or semi synthetic; whichever is on sale when it's time to change the oil. I go with what Ford has told me in my owners manual; using Motorcraft semi-synthetic, I can go as far as 8 to 10K in the Mustang (the newer engines have a deaper oil pan to help with the longer oil change intervals. I have 53K on my current Mustang; I have 223K on my 2005 F150. Each gets full or semi synthetic with a Motorcraft filter, and gets their oil changed between 7500 and 10K intervals (10K with full synthetic). I've had each since new, and the truck is running like the day it was bought. The Mustang runs like the scalded pony it is intended to do.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You'll feel a weight difference that is quite substantial with the WIX filter. That's because its all metal (gasp!) construction on the inside vs stuff like the garbage Fram ones that are literally cardboard, plastic and glue one the inside.
That and it's a little longer
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT