TICK TICK TICK - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
TICK TICK TICK

small ticking coming from engine, sounds like its coming from the passenger side near the rear of the engine... I bought new boots and plugs.. im thinking maybe a boot is cracked and it has a slight misfire... any ideas of what else it could be.. do injectors cause a tick.. its not overly loud but with the hood open you can listen for it
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Maybe a boot and yes, injectors can tick.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Road Trip!

have you changed the injectors before... I may do that next .. I haven't done it before but I think it would be fairy easy on these mustangs. pull the fuel rail off and just plug and play drop it back in... or am I being to cocky haha anything I should be aware of if I take the project on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't even consider removing working injectors, even for professional cleaning, until 200k + miles...
Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Road Trip!

car has about 160,000 kms on it.. the ticking is bothering me and the car does not accelerate like it used to, starting to become a dog .. changed the pcv valve and cleaned the maf today plugs and boots tmrw then im outa ideas
Old 09-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Is that kilometers?
If so you should be fine.
If it has that many miles, meh, it may need the injectors cleaned...
Probably the spark plugs are the big culprit though.
Clean the throttle body if you haven't done so and dont forget the air and fuel filters.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Road Trip!

yah kilometers ... yah hopefully changing the plugs tmrw will get the car running the way I want it to ... just got a new air filter... and im about due for an oil change so I might hit up superlube tmrw as well and get a full service done.. oil,transmission fluid,rad flush, diff and oil and fuel filters.... haven't done that before so I assume its going to be pretty pricey
Old 09-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Sometimes an exhaust leak can sound like ticking, it would get louder under load if it was.
Check ur oil level? If ur low thar could do it.
If none of the above, add lucas oil.
Could also be a slight bent rod which could explain the apparent loss of power.
Does the engine run smooth?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
yah kilometers ... yah hopefully changing the plugs tmrw will get the car running the way I want it to ... just got a new air filter... and im about due for an oil change so I might hit up superlube tmrw as well and get a full service done.. oil,transmission fluid,rad flush, diff and oil and fuel filters.... haven't done that before so I assume its going to be pretty pricey
If you do go to "Super Lube", bring ALL of your own filters. I recommend Motorcraft. Do not let them put any of their "Dollar store" filters on your car.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
Road Trip!

runs reasonably smooth, doesn't sound terrible... not an exhaust leak... def coming from the engine.. its a tick... oil is good.... might just be me but im sure it used to have more get up and go.. still can smoke the tires and get side ways around corners but seems doggish ... doing plugs tmrw hope they look like **** and are old so Im not wasting my time and money hhhaa .... lucas eh... I heard adding additives is terrible and should be advoided... do you believe its worth it

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I checked there website and it says they use motocraft or luber finer filters... I could just say use motocraft I guess
Old 09-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
runs reasonably smooth, doesn't sound terrible... not an exhaust leak... def coming from the engine.. its a tick... oil is good.... might just be me but im sure it used to have more get up and go.. still can smoke the tires and get side ways around corners but seems doggish ... doing plugs tmrw hope they look like **** and are old so Im not wasting my time and money hhhaa .... lucas eh... I heard adding additives is terrible and should be advoided... do you believe its worth it

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

I checked there website and it says they use motocraft or luber finer filters... I could just say use motocraft I guess
Awesome! Good luck!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

There are skeptics of everything. Fact is ive seen a car that had slick 50 in it run for hours without any oil at all. I had an old ramcharger that smoked so much it would fill a two lane road with blinding smoke. 2-3 bottle of lucas oild later it doesnt smoke at all. I have a bronco that has noisy valve train, i put one bottle in and its quiet. Its basically just thicker oil with oil stabilizer in it to prevent oil breakdown. Theres nothing harmful about it. You cant buy a mechanic in a can, but if its not bad enough to need a mechanic - buy the can.
Is the tick coming from the top or bottom of the engine?
U probably are imagining the power loss, i do that too when i feel there is something wrong with my car.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
Road Trip!

im guessing its coming from one of the cylinders , the boot or plug sounds maybe like a misfire, top of engine kinda middle lol like where the cops are
Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ive also heard of a ring thats at the top of the cylinder that comes undone or a piece of it and causes a tic. I think thats a little louder than the average tick though.
Anyway, i think you should have it checked out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT