A couple questions about my GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
A couple questions about my GT

Okay just to start off I have a couple questions about my gt. I have a 2003 GT and it runs great just for a few things I have to pick. It's stock engine tuned up with a SCT tuner X3 and a MAC CAI. Exhaust is catted X pipe magna flow. I have nitto 555 255/45/17 cobra R rims/tires fitted but thinking about upping the rear soon. Has 130k Miles and auto trans on it. Before I bought it, It was a steal at 2k from a friend parting with it and moving away. I got it at 118k and put 12k in the last year just from doing a bit of DD but hardly use it now. My pick at it is that when i'm going about 30mph to 41mph and guessing 3rd gear, the trans feels like it's jerking when it's about to shift gear and afer that it's normal doesn't do it at all only the 30-41mph range. Would that mean my trans is messed up? Any info or help is appreciated. I think that would be my only problem at the moment.

As for the good part, I listed what I have so far as in mods that the car has. I'm thinking about modding it up even more to the point where I want it to have 400RWHP+. Obviously I would need a super/pro charger to do so I have that figured but what other mods could I do to acheive that goal? As in gears or intake, CAI and such. I'm a bit of a newbie mustang owner so I need help from you experts on modding hence this being my first V8. Any or all help is appreciated! Thanks!

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
stealthrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If it's auto sometimes it jumps when shifting might not a your problem. You could do full bolt ons heads cam and if that's not enough then you could go nitrous or FI. unfortunately we can't get to 400 without nitrous or FI.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The jerking...is just the firmness of the shift, the tuner adjusted that. It's a lot of miles to just strap a blower on. I'd go forged and rebuild before you add the bomb. Or wait and buy a coyote when the price comes down.
02GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies. It's undertandable it has a good bit of miles. So far I know it looks like the trans been changed once before but given the fact I could change the engine and trans if something major like giving or blowing up would to happen, i'm not worried about that part. I just want to try to take my stang up and beyond with mods only built up for it's hp and speed of course. I've read different threads talking about a bunch of other stuff as in heads, gears, throttle body/plenum and much more. I'll try to ignore the shifting now that it seems a bit more realistic to what you guys are saying, now I would just need ideas on what I could get and install myself given the factor I have my own lift and make things more easier than it would normally be. At some point of time, I'd like to build my own engine but i'm leaving that to another couple years when I find a perfect body to make it complete. For now, I'd like to just get this beast fired up as close as I can to 400. This week i'm going to give it a complete tune up and try to find a rear creak which is one of the bushings so good luck me lol. I'll post a pic or two just so you guys know what i'm working with.

Thanks!

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Also I didn't see the coyote, it's an idea. Maybe once this engine is done I might look into that type of engine. 6.2k isn't that bad..

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Coyote engine in it, itll be one of the baddest new edges ever
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3371358367.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	548.4 KB
ID:	130144

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-856861401.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	130146

It's a thought for the coyote but for now i'll lay off and wait. Here's my beast so far.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I can't to a computer right now. So I'm not gonna throw out any numbers. So here's a list of whats needed. Don't quote me on this I'm just guessing. This is for the coyote

1. Crate engine
2. Wiring
3. Trans
4. Mounting the motor
5. New exhaust

That's just the big things. It's not gonna just cost you 6.2k you still gotta get all the stuff to make it work and then labor unless you do it yourself.

It's not a cheap easy swap necessarily, if it was to would see every new edge stang with a coyote swap.

Honestly I would live to build a 2v up, forged and FI. Don't settle or make quick decisions you need to research, ask, and learn before you make a decision on what you want to do.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a fun job to do lol, I will consider all of that and more next year if this engine isn't running the way I want it to be. I'd do the labor myself given I have the tools and equip. to do so. For now, I'll stick with my engine and work it up. Seems like A LOT of work no joke but i'll manage my own labor and help off my dad.

You can throw me options and i'll keep researching it and reading stuff. My goal is to get my car pushing close to 400 as possible without having to spend a lump sum of 10k to do an swap. What type of parts would you suggest?

Thanks!

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its cheaper to build the 2V than to swap the Coyote and you'll wind up with a fully forged motor to boot unless you buy the Aluminator Coyote which is a good deal more $$.

Coyote swap will really come into its own when there are more 2011+ cars in the JY and you can get a wreck for $7-$10k. That way you swap everything, and part the rest to make some money back.

I would J-mod your valve body before you do anything. Look up how to do it on youtube. Get on the youtubes and type in "J-mod tccoa" and watch the 20 minute video. The J-mod firms up your shifts, makes gear selection faster and improves the life of the trans. Even with that many miles it can still benefit from it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its cheaper to build the 2V than to swap the Coyote and you'll wind up with a fully forged motor to boot unless you buy the Aluminator Coyote which is a good deal more $$.

Coyote swap will really come into its own when there are more 2011+ cars in the JY and you can get a wreck for $7-$10k. That way you swap everything, and part the rest to make some money back.

I would J-mod your valve body before you do anything. Look up how to do it on youtube. Get on the youtubes and type in "J-mod tccoa" and watch the 20 minute video. The J-mod firms up your shifts, makes gear selection faster and improves the life of the trans. Even with that many miles it can still benefit from it.
Gotcha. I'll have to look that up when I get home. I appreciate the help/tips! I have a couple junk yards I can call up on a upside just incase, not the usual junk yards but commercial ones. I'll want to build my own car up from scratch so that J mod makes one out of many to do on my car. I'm thinking cams, TB, MAF but i'm having trouble for what else or which ones to buy that people get more bang for their buck. Ideas?

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Another idea..find another 2v engine and build that, it'll be easier to do all the work if it's already pulled. Plus you can still drive your car as you're working on it. Much cheaper than coyote swap. Unfortunately, it's not all about motor, look into some suspension mods so when the time comes the power gets to the ground.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just enjoy your dang car, the time will come when you will upgrade.. For now just do simple things and enjoy it
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
Another idea..find another 2v engine and build that, it'll be easier to do all the work if it's already pulled. Plus you can still drive your car as you're working on it. Much cheaper than coyote swap. Unfortunately, it's not all about motor, look into some suspension mods so when the time comes the power gets to the ground.
I thought about that and it's a good idea. I don't drive my stang as much anymore only at most once a week so either way. I don't think it would really matter the mileage? I'm also looking into the suspension also as much as the engine dept. I managed to find a coyote at 15k for $5k I couldn't believe it but it's possible. I'll call about a 2v engine and possibly go for that idea. As for suspension time to brainstorm! I def need to replace the shocks and springs.

To answer your question slow4, I've enjoyed my mustang enough for a year already and always wanted one when I was little. I'm way overdue to mod it up.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

With 400rwhp going to need more than shocks and springs.
K-member
Subframes
Control arms
Sway bars may be a good idea
Possibly a torque arm, panhard bar setup
Good set of tires
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTvert View Post
With 400rwhp going to need more than shocks and springs.
K-member
Subframes
Control arms
Sway bars may be a good idea
Possibly a torque arm, panhard bar setup
Good set of tires
Okay then. My tires I have currently are both nitto 555 255's but I want to get bigger rear tires. I'll start researching on all that. American muscle the best place to look for all this?

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthrz View Post
Okay then. My tires I have currently are both nitto 555 255's but I want to get bigger rear tires. I'll start researching on all that. American muscle the best place to look for all this?
Yeah you should I run 275s up front lol
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:

How wide are your rims and how big do you wanna go?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

How wide are your rims and how big do you wanna go?
Yeah It haunted me to go any bigger after I got my tires last year but I think i'll stick with 255 front and a bigger rear not sure how big though maybe 275-295 range? I have cobra R rims and last time I measured it was 10 front, 10.5 rear. I made a thread a long time ago about it and someone said it was weird that those were the sizes. Will it hurt me any to get a bigger size?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

Yeah you should I run 275s up front lol
I would have to sell my old pair to the fact that they're still pretty new with my best guess 95% tread on them still or more. Ahh decisions.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I doubt the front is 10 lol
Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
I doubt the front is 10 lol
Lol.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah It haunted me to go any bigger after I got my tires last year but I think i'll stick with 255 front and a bigger rear not sure how big though maybe 275-295 range? I have cobra R rims and last time I measured it was 10 front, 10.5 rear. I made a thread a long time ago about it and someone said it was weird that those were the sizes. Will it hurt me any to get a bigger size?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

I would have to sell my old pair to the fact that they're still pretty new with my best guess 95% tread on them still or more. Ahh decisions.
Is that measuring from edge to edge cause 10" is an unusual width for the front, especially with 255s. For the 10.5 wheel you could go 315 ( assuming it's actually a 10.5n and not a 9") on a 9" wheel 275s fit great.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is that measuring from edge to edge cause 10" is an unusual width for the front, especially with 255s. For the 10.5 wheel you could go 315 ( assuming it's actually a 10.5n and not a 9") on a 9" wheel 275s fit great.
I'll measure them again tomorrow sometime and repost when I do so but that was the measurement edge from edge, Am I missing something? I'll have to go with nitto again or something else. Nittos on at the moment been fine and smooth grip to the ground.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll measure them again tomorrow sometime and repost when I do so but that was the measurement edge from edge, Am I missing something? I'll have to go with nitto again or something else. Nittos on at the moment been fine and smooth grip to the ground.
Generally when you measure edge to edge you will get a wider reading than what the rim actually is. My rear wheels are 10.5" and if I measured them they would probably come out to 11.5" or maybe even 12"

edit: here's link with pictures http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tires-measure.htm
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Generally when you measure edge to edge you will get a wider reading than what the rim actually is. My rear wheels are 10.5" and if I measured them they would probably come out to 11.5" or maybe even 12"

edit: here's link with pictures http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tires-measure.htm
Gotcha. I'll measure them for sure tomorrow then. That must mean my rims are ideal somewhere 9" and 10" but i'll post up tomorrows for sure measurement.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Just enjoy your dang car, the time will come when you will upgrade.. For now just do simple things and enjoy it
Best advice you'll get. It took me almost 10 years to not break something until its fixed as soon as I got it. You can make a PI 2V a nice 12-13 second car with the right mods. You being an auto have an advantage in the 1/4 mile actually and I've seen bolt on autos do 12.5s with a 3500 rpm stall, slicks, badass suspension setup and a 93 octane tune.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Best advice you'll get. It took me almost 10 years to not break something until its fixed as soon as I got it. You can make a PI 2V a nice 12-13 second car with the right mods. You being an auto have an advantage in the 1/4 mile actually and I've seen bolt on autos do 12.5s with a 3500 rpm stall, slicks, badass suspension setup and a 93 octane tune.
I see. I've been enjoying my car no lie but i'm thinking about just getting another 2v engine and build it up from there. I have a random question but would either a mach 1 or cobra engine fit into place on my gt as in just buying one from a junk yard and building it up? Or is there a different set up for those engines? Still a newbie at this so don't beat me up too much with the questions.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Those are 4Vs which can drop right in without too much modification. Honestly when you are talking about building one up, especially for boost it really is becoming a wash these days of 2V vs 4V. I recommend finding a good clean block, preferably a TEKSID, going .020 over, Cobra crank, Manley Rods, Diamond Pistons, ported PI heads, blower cams, edelbrock intake and an On3 turbo kit since you are an auto. Have your 4r70w (or a good core) built and it'll handle 1000whp no problem not that you'll every likely get to that number. Stall converter should be a PI converter probably stalled to around 2800 rpm. Do bigs and littles as far as tires/rims and that is a 9 second car with all the other supporting stuff.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You have so many ideas u may just wanna sit on it rn save up while u make up your mind lol
Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Those are 4Vs which can drop right in without too much modification. Honestly when you are talking about building one up, especially for boost it really is becoming a wash these days of 2V vs 4V. I recommend finding a good clean block, preferably a TEKSID, going .020 over, Cobra crank, Manley Rods, Diamond Pistons, ported PI heads, blower cams, edelbrock intake and an On3 turbo kit since you are an auto. Have your 4r70w (or a good core) built and it'll handle 1000whp no problem not that you'll every likely get to that number. Stall converter should be a PI converter probably stalled to around 2800 rpm. Do bigs and littles as far as tires/rims and that is a 9 second car with all the other supporting stuff.
Well all that blew my mind. It sounds like if I did all that, my car would be on steroids from what I wanted it to be lol. It all sounds like an idea and i'm writing everything down and taking things into consideration. Also sounds like a lot of money which I don't mind but I'll have the time and patience to do so. It is a lot to think about.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Wait everybody's talking upgrade this and that but forgetting your tranny might have a problem??? Start there..flush it and change filter n fluid...sounds like its clogging up..figure out what you have going with tranny if it can handle 400hp..
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
Wait everybody's talking upgrade this and that but forgetting your tranny might have a problem??? Start there..flush it and change filter n fluid...sounds like its clogging up..figure out what you have going with tranny if it can handle 400hp..
I mentioned right in my big post that he should j-mod his trans (which means he'll be changing the fluid) and then get it or a good core built to handle big power if so chooses to go that route.

Also he's got a 4R70w which can handle over 400hp no problem. Stock they are good for about 500/500 before you really have to start worrying.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
+1 then..lol just read thru al upgrades and must of missed that..if his tranny is messed up or converter is shifting hard or hesitates rite now..i'm saying that's 1st before building..good enough tranny but maybe not as is now..
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah if its jacked up he can swap in another stocker or if he can find a low mileage 75w swap that in and upgrade to a SYM2 Mach 1 computer which will take care of the trans as well as the inability of all automatic computers prior to 2005 EXCEPT the automatic Mach computers to shift a 10 second car if he ever gets to that level. Also swapping to a 75 means that a single file needs to be changed in the tune from 6 to 24 (pulse wheel teeth count) for the speedo to work and the trans to shift properly.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Totally lost me at the top but I see what you're all talking about now. I changed my trans fluid, filter and refilled about 6 months ago since I got the car, no metal shards what so ever and today I gave it a tune up.. It's way smoother and the problem with 31-41mph shift has gone away. I never changed the plugs since I got the car at 118k and the plugs were horrible and 4 were not even torque'd.. Shows how much was gone and how it was treated. It's way better now and I love it. As for the J-Mod, i'm going to be attempting it in 2 saturdays. I've been trying to find the item list for what's needed as in drill bits and part numbers to the gaskets. No luck given it's all old threads popping up but i'll find something somewhere. If anyone has a thread I can look at for the item list, it'll be appreciated. Also I wouldn't have to jack it up due to me having my own personal lift so makes things easier to do. Managed to find a mark viii engine and having it inspected and shipped locally to me in a couple days for 300 with 68k miles on it. Making it all happen slowly but surely. I'll post pictures once the engine arrives. /excited Now I need fo fish for a cobra front bumper and hood.

2003 Mustang GT

DOHC 4V Swap

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT