Anyone have experience recovering the front seats? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Anyone have experience recovering the front seats?

My 2000 gt has tears in the leather in the driver seat. I was quoted 320 to recover both seats with a vinyl that is thicker and tougher than leather but still has the feel and look of leather. Should I do this or does anyone have a better solution? And seat covers are out because they don't ever fit right and don't look good. Thanks
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
My 2000 gt has tears in the leather in the driver seat. I was quoted 320 to recover both seats with a vinyl that is thicker and tougher than leather but still has the feel and look of leather. Should I do this or does anyone have a better solution? And seat covers are out because they don't ever fit right and don't look good. Thanks
That's not bad
Replace with vinyl
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Oh, I have a little experience in this field...

Before:

After:

And yes that is VINYL. Material is from TMI which you can get on LRS or CJP. New TMI seat foams are required and you can see how well it all fits. I did all this myself over a weekend with a lot of swearing and sore fingers. All upholstery foams/glue etc... including the rear seat came to around $800. Just remember that $320 you are quoted does not include new foams. Trust me your original foams are completely shot and should be replaced. You can also get a set of Summit Racing seats in vinyl for something like $300 shipped.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
you changed your complete interior
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Looks good and way better Scotty
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
you changed your complete interior
All lies

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
hows that a lie.... you went from grey to all black
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

/sarcasm. You need a new detector lol.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I upgraded my seats to the cobras with the TMI kit...all in all for just the fronts ran me $500 ish. Also I couldn't get the rear back pieces to slide on right (even after swearing and hemorrhaging from my fingers), but $50 later I shipped the metal frame, back foam, and covers to TMI and the did it for free and told me that the covers they sent me were even tight for them to fit and they shipped back to me for free. CPU dnt go wrong with that service. I like them, but still feel like a set of corbeau may have been better option since the lower back is still not the most comfortable.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull View Post
I upgraded my seats to the cobras with the TMI kit...all in all for just the fronts ran me $500 ish. Also I couldn't get the rear back pieces to slide on right (even after swearing and hemorrhaging from my fingers), but $50 later I shipped the metal frame, back foam, and covers to TMI and the did it for free and told me that the covers they sent me were even tight for them to fit and they shipped back to me for free. CPU dnt go wrong with that service. I like them, but still feel like a set of corbeau may have been better option since the lower back is still not the most comfortable.
Give them some time to break in. I don't drive my car much, about 2k miles in the last 2 years and the driver's seat is JUST NOW starting to get softer and a little more comfy.

However for the money it might be a better option to go with the Summit universal race seats if the car is going to be caged or anything. I hear very good things about the Summit seats and they're $300 shipped on ebay.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT