Crate engine vs built 2v - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Crate engine vs built 2v

So I decided my car has lost to much power, its slowr then most modern cars and all the ticks, rattles ect just frustrate me... so I Have a question or two...

should I get a block and slowly build a new 2v or should I get some money together and buy a new crate engine.

I decided I will not sell this car ever so I am going to build it into a beast... that doesn't mean the fastest car out there... What I mean is the perfect car for me..

Eibach Pro-System-Plus is what I plan to buy for my suspension
comes with
(2) Front Struts
(2) Rear Shocks
(4) Pro-Kit Lowering Springs - Progressive rate
(1) 35mm Tubular Front Sway Bar with bushings
(1) 25mm Solid Rear Sway Bar with bushings

I have brand new maximum motorsports rear upper and lower control arms yet to be installed as well.

so that and any other recommendations on parts I should accumulate over the winter to be able to build my car in the spring.

and the engine question of course
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Feel the same way about mine, keeper forever lol. Long-term plans are to take it with us when we retire to New Zealand, can import w/o any RHD conversions etc...That being said, building up and engine in the interim, ready to drop in is on the bucket list.

I would think getting a good strong block like a Teksid, forged crank & internals too, would be a solid foundation for making whatever power you desire.

ScottyDOESknow about this, last i checked he's building up his teksid

Im in no rush for my build, so im hunting down the reading/tech materials first lol. Good luck w/ yer build man
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Id do a good amount of research and build the 2v on your own, forge and boost
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
5.0 swap.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you can afford the swap and install or can do it yourself its bada**
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Road Trip!

whats badass the 5.0 .... a 5.0 out of what year mustang... whats involved... I was thinking another 4.6 2v because it would be more plug and play but im open to options
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Id find or get a terminator block or full motor and drop in there
02GtRespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The coyote.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Road Trip!

would be awesome but way way to much work involved. basically building a different car under the body
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Coyote is great but in my opinion 99-04 came with 4.6 it should stay 4.6. Id get a 4.6l 4v out of a wrecked terminator or mach 1 and either stay n/a with around 330 with bolt ons and honestly since i have tried out a few cars go with 3.90 gears or supercharge to 600hp with a 3.1 at 14lbs boost and 4.1 gears. I drove a 350z with stock gears (3.91) and 6 spd manual and only put down maybe 270 rwhp i know they are lighter but not by much big difference between 3.73 and 3.9
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Road Trip!

I was thinking mach 1 before... so you say find a motor I can salvage rip it apart and rebuild it with forged internals or just back to its stock
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Depends you are looking at forged internals if you go with a supercharger if its a mach 1 motor but if its a cobra then its already been forged from factory then all you go to do is figure how much boost you gonna put on it and what size supercharger. But if you get a 4v mach 1 i believe they came 330 crank and with a tune 330 wheel would be nothing put a t56 tremic out of cobra with a light weight flywheel 3.90 gears also eibach pro system coilovers or eibach sportline and eibach shocks/struts this is what ill probably be doing

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Either way you could port a mach 1 put a procharger on it with some tweaking at 18psi and pass a cobra all day with 4.1 even if the cobra was shooting about a 100 shot of nitrous
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Road Trip!

hmmm for me finding a wrecked cobra to take the motor out would be about impossible haha
Old 09-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Nah my friends dad had a 04 termi with 50k just sold it to a 23 year old that had wrecked 2 cars in the past 5 years had no where near as much *** as that termi itll be in a junk yard probably in about 3 months when he starts to get comfortable. Hate to say it but hes not responsible at all doesnt take care of anything and just got lucky in a rich family
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
Nah my friends dad had a 04 termi with 50k just sold it to a 23 year old that had wrecked 2 cars in the past 5 years had no where near as much *** as that termi itll be in a junk yard probably in about 3 months when he starts to get comfortable. Hate to say it but hes not responsible at all doesnt take care of anything and just got lucky in a rich family
Why. Why. Why. Why. Why. Poor Termi
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Do a termi swap you can find termi engines allday on eBay blower to oil pan. You just need the harness and ecu.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yup
Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get yourself a lower mileage PI motor out of a JY and swap it in. Or figure out what is wrong with yours since it sounds like it very well just might need a tune up. If not, find a WAP or Teksid block and build that up on an engine stand and match it to a transmission while its all out. Then on one glorious day in the future you rip out the old engine/trans in one piece, swap all the electronics etc... and drop the built one right back in. Hook everything back up, obviously you should have upgraded the rest of the car to support it beforehand, trailer it to the tuner and go.

If you rip the motor out now and start to do it piecemeal it'll sit for months, then a year, then longer, get halfway-3/4 of the way done and you'll get sick of it just taking up space/time/money and sell it.

Everyone says they're "keeping this one forever". I thought that too about my 95 Cobra until the same scenario I just listed happened to me and someone rolled up in the driveway one day and offered me cash for it. My current 98 is slower, not a collector car, I did almost none of the mods but I enjoy it more because I'm driving it as is and got a separate motor to build in the garage on the side this time.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Get yourself a lower mileage PI motor out of a JY and swap it in. Or figure out what is wrong with yours since it sounds like it very well just might need a tune up. If not, find a WAP or Teksid block and build that up on an engine stand and match it to a transmission while its all out. Then on one glorious day in the future you rip out the old engine/trans in one piece, swap all the electronics etc... and drop the built one right back in. Hook everything back up, obviously you should have upgraded the rest of the car to support it beforehand, trailer it to the tuner and go.

If you rip the motor out now and start to do it piecemeal it'll sit for months, then a year, then longer, get halfway-3/4 of the way done and you'll get sick of it just taking up space/time/money and sell it.

Everyone says they're "keeping this one forever". I thought that too about my 95 Cobra until the same scenario I just listed happened to me and someone rolled up in the driveway one day and offered me cash for it. My current 98 is slower, not a collector car, I did almost none of the mods but I enjoy it more because I'm driving it as is and got a separate motor to build in the garage on the side this time.
I would do what Scotty said and just look in a junkyard for a nice 4.6, i know it would be the cheapest option.
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i would fix your motor first and then get a termi motor to build i duno just a 4v fan even though it was tested that a 2v can withstand more boost than a 4v of course with work done to it
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can make just as much power with a 2V as you can with a 4V for less money, less complicated driveline, lower weight and easier to work on. The 2V aftermarket is starting to look more and more like the 5.0 pushrod aftermarket and it will only get better. My biggest issue with the 4V is cams are omfg expensive although you can get by with 98 Cobra cams for not too much money and also the fact that there are no new 4V head castings being made. What is out there is what is out there and its getting harder and harder to find a good set of 4V cores. Prices of the overlooked 99/01 heads are even starting to go up.

Although if one of those sets of bare 00R heads on ebay is still around in the spring I might jump on it... The 00R heads flow 268cfm right out of the box, 30cfm more than the Termi heads. Trick is finding a 00R intake to match...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT