What the mechanic said about my tick - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
What the mechanic said about my tick

so brought my car to the mechanic today... he checked around with the car up on the hoist and said there is no exhaust leak but there is an engine tick. said could be lifters or a valve or rod or something but if theres no loss of power its not worth rippin the engine apart to try and figure out what it is.. he said just change your oil and drive it.. he told me not to be concerned about it... I was kinda choked tho I was really hoping to find out wtf is wrong instead im told could be anything and unless it gets really bad its not worth worrying about... uggggh frustration.... soooo I brought it to another mechanic, he came outside I started the car and he said my car is 13 years old and its guna tick and make noises not to worry about it prob a lifter or something with carbon stuck to it.... so I went and got my engine flushed and oil changed with conventional oil... still ticking but that was only a couple miles from my house so we will see if later today or this week the ticking goes away. hopefully the flush helped. I don't know tho... uggggh input anyone... oh spry about all the spelling mistakes and grammer hhaha im venting
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
I had a Nissan with a tick (I think it was a lifter) and I started using lucas engine oil treatment. my tick went away. you know replacing one quart of oil with lucas every oil change
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If its a little tick don't worry about it. Mine ticks very slightly and its just how it is. Change the oil with a good oil, do a coolant flush, change all the other fluids (power steering, trans, diff etc...) and drive it.

If its a rod knock you'll know it, it'll sound like a loud rhythmic clacking noise vs a tick.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Road Trip!

I had lucas in it just for a day ahah then got this oil change. I will get another oil change in about a month, basically flushing the engine again and ill use lucas then ... its not very loud like I cant hear it in the car but when you open the hood you def hear it ... people are always sayin its an older car don't worry about it but I want my car to run like new uggh frustrating. hopefully the tick goes away or nothing major happens
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Back in the old pushrod days a quart of ATF helped loosen sticky parts real well. Run it until the tick quits and then change the oil.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Road Trip!

the old man next door said classic sound of worn bearings. so remove all fan belts and see if noise goes away. if so, figure out which thing the belt drives that has worn bearings by pulling on the pulleys and feeling for wear. would a worn bearing actually make a tick
Old 09-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Could be an idler pulley. Doubt its the belt itself but seeing as all cars these days use serpentine belts... don't remove it...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Road Trip!

I replaced the smooth idler pully just the other day and it made the car a lil quieter lol but then I noticed the tick... I don't think its the belt. he said its a worn bearing in a pully... but I don't think that would make a tick, would it
Old 09-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

It could yeah. Might just be an accessory. But a valvetrain can just be a little noisy. I really think you are overreacting especially if the car runs great. I'd have to hear it in person though. Mine has a quiet tick and it pulls hard all the way up till redline.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Road Trip!

its the fact that the car sounded great last month and now its making a tick, before just rumbled like a v8 shuld now tick tick tick tick tick..i just want to take care of this car, tired of buying new cars every couple years
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Could be piston slap.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Road Trip!

should your belt tensioner be moving when the engine is running, mine seems to have a fair bit of movement or should it be steady in one spot like stiff
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine is stiff. I have a 2000 gt with 188000 on it. I had belt slip due to a weak spring in the tensioner. So I replaced it and the two idler pillows at the same time.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Road Trip!

ill take a video of mine when I get a chance but it seems to bounce up and down wth the engine running, hopefully that's the tick and I can just replace it... like is aid before sound seemed to be coming from center of engine not from under the valve covers so maybe its just echoing around and is the tensioner... with my luck the tensioner is shot and I have a tick as well lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT