I have a clutch and gear question if anyone knows... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I have a clutch and gear question if anyone knows...

It might sound pretty "noobish" but here it is: whats the difference between having a clutch that can grip extremely well, and having gears?? I ask that because with a manual, if i have a really nice clutch that grips really well, i can get pretty hard launches, and if i have 3.73 gears i can get pretty hard launches as well. Whats the difference? What if i had just an ok clutch and 4.10s or 3.73s? Wouldn't i get the same launch?
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
It might sound pretty "noobish" but here it is: whats the difference between having a clutch that can grip extremely well, and having gears?? I ask that because with a manual, if i have a really nice clutch that grips really well, i can get pretty hard launches, and if i have 3.73 gears i can get pretty hard launches as well. Whats the difference? What if i had just an ok clutch and 4.10s or 3.73s? Wouldn't i get the same launch?
Clutches transfer power from engine to transmission via clamping down on a pressure plate. Stronger clutch means more clamping force which means it'll "bite" harder and provide very positive lock up to provide as much power as possible as immediately as it can. Weaker clutches may slip a bit under higher power applications or hard launches.

Gears are in the rear differential and are simply power multipliers. They don't change the power output at all they just change the amount of energy needed to do work. It's all physics.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So i can get a pretty great launch from a great gripping clutch and 3.73s? All suspension aside.
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So i can get a pretty great launch from a great gripping clutch and 3.73s? All suspension aside.
Well that depends on your driver skill and tires.. Conditions you're driving on and stuff.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So... Why would i want gears on a manual? 3.73, or 4.10s? Thats my main question?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
So... Why would i want gears on a manual? 3.73, or 4.10s? Thats my main question?
Basically they increase acceleration.
Coltonhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
3.27 slow acceleration 4.10 faster acceleration. They up your rpms. Gears have nothing to do with the clutch. When buying a clutch you wanna look at how much power you got or are gonna have so that it can grab. Gears don't matter with putting it to the ground. Well they do but traction is getting it to the ground

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Higher gears make it easier to start going from a stop with a manual.. So that's a plus. I have 4.10s in my 5 speed and absolutely love it.

Higher gears does "up your rpms" due to the fact that higher gears requires the driveshaft to turn more times per full evolution of the rear tires. Easiest way to say it is 3.73 gears means driveshafts turns 3 and 3/4 times per back tire turning once. 4.10s are 4.1 times per 1 tire revolution. That's why the RPMs are higher. At the same time higher RPMs and less power needed to produce similar power figures means your car hits power band faster so it just makes it all run nicer easier. Haha.

Going from a 3.27 to 4.10 will feel like you added 50hp easy.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
How do you have a 1996 V6-GT Converted?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I understand now! That makes sense... Awesome! Thanks. And yes I swapped a v8 for the stock v6 and various other things..
Old 03-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 98GT and I was wondering the same thing. My clutch and gears are stock and they do the trick. I wanted to beef both up but i'm not interested in higher RPM's which I know will get pretty old on Cali freeways after 2 minutes, LOL I'm looking for a solid clutch, maybe an exedy mach 350 or just an SR performance OE but not sure which gear setup would work best for nice street but cruising freeway style at 90 and around 2500-3000 rpm??
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
All depends on personal type of use too, some want to drive fairly abusive while others just put around and want dependability, i like the stage 3 Centerforce leg breaking clutch and 4:10's I have but not everyone wants the same, study all the info you can, looks like a lot of help and knowledge on this site.
Mudman.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They are 2 completely different things, you sound confused or at least wrote a very confusing thread.

Clutch literally is a link from your engine to transmission. Stronger clutches for higher HP applications will keep it from slipping. For your application... the stock clutch is more than enough. You will not get "harder launches" from replacing a good stock clutch. Now, if it is old and worn and was slipping then it'll definitely help yes... but even a basic stage 0 clutch is going to grab as well as anything on a bolt on/tune 2V without a power adder.

Gears... they multiply your driveshaft to wheel revolutions. Think of your Huffy (or Schwinn if your parents actually gave a **** about your childhood unlike mine...). How much easier it was to pedal in a lower gear than a higher gear. That's how the gears work basically. Much easier for your car's engine to spin the back tires and you take off much faster, with the downside being you have to shift sooner but its a balancing act. 4.10s are perfect for the 4.6L.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT