99 gt block - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
99 gt block

It's been forever since I've posted but I just bought a 99 gt block for 30 bucks today. It has a scarred piston but nothing else is wrong. The whole rotating assembly minus one piston is good to go. I'm thinking about taking it all out and putting in all new parts. What should I do to get this engine to put out 450 hp to the wheels? And will 4v heads work? I've been told multiple things from multiple people about the heads. Any input will be welcome!
Dogbitdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Pi heads and boost.
Id start building a forged engine then boosting it
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbitdude View Post
It's been forever since I've posted but I just bought a 99 gt block for 30 bucks today. It has a scarred piston but nothing else is wrong. The whole rotating assembly minus one piston is good to go. I'm thinking about taking it all out and putting in all new parts. What should I do to get this engine to put out 450 hp to the wheels? And will 4v heads work? I've been told multiple things from multiple people about the heads. Any input will be welcome!
Yes 4v heads will work but if you're making it a 4v engine go for "C" 4v heads. And also bear in mind you'll either have to make your own harness for the engine or buy a new one.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Pi heads and boost. Id start building a forged engine then boosting it
I was planning on getting a full forged rotating assembly and possible boost. Would you suggest the twisted wedge heads? I've looked a little into them and they seem like they are popular.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
400+ to the wheels is going to require at least forged rods and pistons. The stock crank is ok as long as you don't spin it past 6500.

You won't get to 450whp without a power adder. Also you need to get that block checked out and at least get it touched up with a good hone if the bores are good. If not you're going to need to go .010-.020 over.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
if someone wanted to rebuild and forge important parts of there engine what would they need to buy. a grocery list would be awesome if someone can post... thinking of having my engine rebuilt so it runs like day 1 but I also would like to be running around 350-400 hp and would like to know how to go about doing that on all motor
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
if someone wanted to rebuild and forge important parts of there engine what would they need to buy. a grocery list would be awesome if someone can post... thinking of having my engine rebuilt so it runs like day 1 but I also would like to be running around 350-400 hp and would like to know how to go about doing that on all motor

You got $8-$10k to spend?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
more like 4 haha but parts can be bought over time until I have everything for the build ... what would cost 8-10k a crate engine
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You got $8-$10k to spend?
Well I know a full forged rotating assembly would cost roughly 1600 bucks but my plus side is I have a blank canvas so I don't have to worry about changing the timing chain and the cams or any of the stuff people with a gt already have to worry about. I may even hit FI before I drop the engine in the car
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Throw in machine work, heads, cams, power adder, fuel system, drive train, chassis/suspension, wheel/tire setup. $10k+ to do it correctly.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Throw in machine work, heads, cams, power adder, fuel system, drive train, chassis/suspension, wheel/tire setup. $10k+ to do it correctly.
Yeah.. I just spent around $4.9k and all I did was a complete rebuild, forged rods and pistons, cobra crank, switched to a teksid alum block, stage 2 cams, better springs.. Blah blah. And then you got over $4k for a power adder and tuning, and then you gotta get a new clutch and upgrade suspension and you'll probably want to upgrade brakes. It's a decent chunk of change..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know of a book or guide that would detail exactly how to build the engine from the block up?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I learned from the old man. Get a Chilton's for a complete break down and rebuild guide. If this is your first rodeo, might want to pay a pro. Do you have a hoist, various torque wrenches, a garage or a big dirveway, sae AND metric complete ratchet/socket sets to include 1/2" drives, universals, clamp pullers, ring grinder, piston install sleeve, jacks, ramps yadda yadda yadda? Looking at another $1k in tools minimum to properly do it yourself.

Again, not trying to be a downer or discourage anyone from DIY, I think DIY is the best possible route to take and you should learn to do everything yourself. I also have been there/done that ripping apart a completely great running motor without knowing really how much $$$ I'm going to be in for and then the car sits 1/2 done for years. I say if your 2V is running great then do everything else including suspension/driveline/chassis etc... and enjoy your 12 second car.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I learned from the old man. Get a Chilton's for a complete break down and rebuild guide. If this is your first rodeo, might want to pay a pro. Do you have a hoist, various torque wrenches, a garage or a big dirveway, sae AND metric complete ratchet/socket sets to include 1/2" drives, universals, clamp pullers, ring grinder, piston install sleeve, jacks, ramps yadda yadda yadda? Looking at another $1k in tools minimum to properly do it yourself. Again, not trying to be a downer or discourage anyone from DIY, I think DIY is the best possible route to take and you should learn to do everything yourself. I also have been there/done that ripping apart a completely great running motor without knowing really how much $$$ I'm going to be in for and then the car sits 1/2 done for years. I say if your 2V is running great then do everything else including suspension/driveline/chassis etc... and enjoy your 12 second car.
One of my friends down the road is letting me use any tools I don't have. His dad is a master mechanic and has every tool known to man so tools aren't hard to find for me. The engine was never mine when it was running. All I have is the block and the rotating assembly with one scarred piston. Everything is going to be replaced and I get what you're saying. I know it's going to be a very hard task but I have many friends who have been building engines for 10+ years so help is easy to get. I don't even have a car to put this in yet but that will come later
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think would be a cheaper option. Making 450-500 hp to the wheel with a 2v or 4v set up? No matter what I'm getting a forged rotating assembly
Old 09-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbitdude View Post
What do you think would be a cheaper option. Making 450-500 hp to the wheel with a 2v or 4v set up? No matter what I'm getting a forged rotating assembly
You can do it with either one by boosting. But swapping to a 4v will probably cost more just because of making your car compatible with the 4v.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
You can do it with either one by boosting. But swapping to a 4v will probably cost more just because of making your car compatible with the 4v.
I don't have a car to put the engine in yet. I'm planning on building the engine then buying a roller and building the whole thing up so making it compatible with spacing issues will be easier to fix. Also what would be easier to get 450-500 hp from the 2 or 4v?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

It's cheaper to build a 2V. 4V is pointless unless you have a 4V car already or are aiming for over 1000hp.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT