Kenne Bell Supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Kenne Bell Supercharger

Anyone have a Kenne Bell? If so did you install it yourself or have it done? I just ordered a 2.1 for my 01. I really want to do the work myself, but I'm not sure how difficult it might be. Not to mention how much I would save on labor. Thanks for any input.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony View Post
Anyone have a Kenne Bell? If so did you install it yourself or have it done? I just ordered a 2.1 for my 01. I really want to do the work myself, but I'm not sure how difficult it might be. Not to mention how much I would save on labor. Thanks for any input.
WheelStander has.
White03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
U may wanna replace your internals
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
I may wanna replace your internals
Yeah I thought about it, but I should be good for a while.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
A safe point for the stock internals on the 2v is 400rwhp, any more and you are losing reliability.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wheelstanders been pushing 450 on stock internals for awhile now. Has a beast
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have a KB and did the install myself, the sc itself is a pretty straight forward install if you have mechanical skills , you will need a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to notch the bolt towers under the intake manifold but that really the only specialty tool you'll need . It gets a bit more difficult when it's time to install the heat exchanger and boost a pump ( which I hope you invested in) you will need electrical wiring skills and a soldering iron , it took me a weekend (about 10 hrs ) to do the install.
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
A safe point for the stock internals on the 2v is 400rwhp, any more and you are losing reliability.
I've been reading this motor can take up to 450hp. That's why I didn't build it up. Anything over that and your taking a huge risk.

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
I have a KB and did the install myself, the sc itself is a pretty straight forward install if you have mechanical skills , you will need a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to notch the bolt towers under the intake manifold but that really the only specialty tool you'll need . It gets a bit more difficult when it's time to install the heat exchanger and boost a pump ( which I hope you invested in) you will need electrical wiring skills and a soldering iron , it took me a weekend (about 10 hrs ) to do the install.
Cool that's what I need to know. I was worried about the boost a pump. Yeah I'm going intercooled. I've got a buddy that can do any wiring stuff. What year is your car?
Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been reading this motor can take up to 450hp. That's why I didn't build it up. Anything over that and your taking a huge risk. ---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ---------- Cool that's what I need to know. I was worried about the boost a pump. Yeah I'm going intercooled. I've got a buddy that can do any wiring stuff. What year is your car?
My car is a 03 gt! What are the power levels you are going for?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My car is a 03 gt! What are the power levels you are going for?
I'm hoping to do between 420-430hp.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm hoping to do between 420-430hp.
Do you have the supporting mods to achieve that level? The KB alone will not get you there
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you have the supporting mods to achieve that level? The KB alone will not get you there
I think so. I ordered the 90mm kit as well. I've got exhaust, gears, and 75mm throttle body. All that should put me close to those #'s. I'm hoping anyways. Any other info would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think so. I ordered the 90mm kit as well. I've got exhaust, gears, and 75mm throttle body. All that should put me close to those #'s. I'm hoping anyways. Any other info would be appreciated.
The 90mm kit , is it the mass air meter and intake tube? The 75 mm tb is perfect , are you gonna run the stock fuel pump? If so I would go with the Lincoln avaitior fuel pump and use the bap as a safety
Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The 90mm kit , is it the mass air meter and intake tube? The 75 mm tb is perfect , are you gonna run the stock fuel pump? If so I would go with the Lincoln avaitior fuel pump and use the bap as a safety
90mm kit has the bigger mass air meter, 4" big tube, the upgraded switch chip and cold air kit. I haven't thought about the fuel pump. I guess I thought that was the purpose of the bap.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
How much did you pay for it?
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
90mm kit has the bigger mass air meter, 4" big tube, the upgraded switch chip and cold air kit. I haven't thought about the fuel pump. I guess I thought that was the purpose of the bap.
With that set up you will hit your mark, for the cost KB charges you can get a better mass air meter but the KB unit is good ( same as a cobra) the cai tube is crap , it's cheap plastic that's just junk , find a old style JLT kit ( the one with couplers) or an Anderson power pipe( the best cai tube for a KB ) the bap is intended to drive a stock fuel pump , the problem is with a stocker you'll be running at 90% capacity at all times and it will still run out of fuel at the top end ( around 5200-5500 rpm) the best way is to get a bigger pump to support your mods and use the bap as a safety to insure you have that fuel when needed ,don't relie on just the bap, also I would use the switch chip just for a start up I would still have the car dyno tuned ASAP
Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

With that set up you will hit your mark, for the cost KB charges you can get a better mass air meter but the KB unit is good ( same as a cobra) the cai tube is crap , it's cheap plastic that's just junk , find a old style JLT kit ( the one with couplers) or an Anderson power pipe( the best cai tube for a KB ) the bap is intended to drive a stock fuel pump , the problem is with a stocker you'll be running at 90% capacity at all times and it will still run out of fuel at the top end ( around 5200-5500 rpm) the best way is to get a bigger pump to support your mods and use the bap as a safety to insure you have that fuel when needed ,don't relie on just the bap
Thanks for the info. I'll check into all that. I'm not in a rush to get it installed cause I want to make sure I get the best parts to accomplish my goal. What kind of power are you putting down?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll check into all that. I'm not in a rush to get it installed cause I want to make sure I get the best parts to accomplish my goal. What kind of power are you putting down?
When I first did my charger it was on a completely stock motor , stock tb, intake tube, maf meter, pump , etc. the car put down 360 with this set up , since then I've done the upgrades and put down 432 in a somewhat conservative tune , there is much more power left there but I'm on a stock bottom end and this car is not my dd , both setups were ran at 10lbs of boost
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I first did my charger it was on a completely stock motor , stock tb, intake tube, maf meter, pump , etc. the car put down 360 with this set up , since then I've done the upgrades and put down 432 in a somewhat conservative tune , there is much more power left there but I'm on a stock bottom end and this car is not my dd , both setups were ran at 10lbs of boost
Nice, that's what I'm hoping to get out of it.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice, that's what I'm hoping to get out of it.
What about having aftermarket pulleys? I thought I read not to use them. I have steeda pulleys, but if I need to go back to stock I will.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Go back to stock for a supercharger or you will not make the correct PSI for the pulley you have.

Safe tune on stock internals is really 400/400. Any more and you are risking it. Some cars are factory freaks and can take more but many are not. Push it too much a rod might decide it wants to see daylight or the top ring land will break off a piston and that will suck for you. 400 to the wheels is plenty to get in a lot of trouble with these cars.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Go back to stock for a supercharger or you will not make the correct PSI for the pulley you have.

Safe tune on stock internals is really 400/400. Any more and you are risking it. Some cars are factory freaks and can take more but many are not. Push it too much a rod might decide it wants to see daylight or the top ring land will break off a piston and that will suck for you. 400 to the wheels is plenty to get in a lot of trouble with these cars.
Ok just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

What are the best spark plugs to use? Kenne Bell says Denso U Groove or NGK TR6, but I'm having difficulty in locating the Denso U Grooves.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Autolites are good, I forget what number off the top of my head... need to be gapped narrower and its a colder plug too.

You're upgrading your fuel system and chassis and everything else to handle this right? That 2.1L KB is going to make yoga balls power as soon as you hit the gas. If you aren't set up to get it to the ground properly you're just going to spin the tires and get beat by the bolt on guy with slicks and gears.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Autolites are good, I forget what number off the top of my head... need to be gapped narrower and its a colder plug too.

You're upgrading your fuel system and chassis and everything else to handle this right? That 2.1L KB is going to make yoga balls power as soon as you hit the gas. If you aren't set up to get it to the ground properly you're just going to spin the tires and get beat by the bolt on guy with slicks and gears.
Yeah its all getting done. I do plan on burning the rubber off of what I've got though. Hehe!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It's been a little bit, but I finally got the Kenne Bell on. I'm having a bogging issue. Anyone had this after the install before? Great power once you're into it, but taking off it hesitates pretty bad. Don't want to drive it to much with a lean condition.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Decide what fuel setup you're going with?
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT