squealing noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
squealing noise

My 96 gt makes a squealing noise when its cold after it warms up its gone. Changed the idler pulley and still does it. Did a little research found it could be a bent tension pulley, water pump or the CPS. Now from what I can see/hear is that its coming from the alt or water pump. The boy i got it from said he put a brand new water pump on it and you can tell it is. So I'm kinda at a stand still. There is no loss of power or performance. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
sn95on20s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would check out the belt tensioner the spring inside fails and is a common wear part , you can check it by putting more tension on it before starting the car and see if the squeal goes away , if it does or slightly goes away I would replace the tensioner and the serpentine belt
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
I would check out the belt tensioner the spring inside fails and is a common wear part , you can check it by putting more tension on it before starting the car and see if the squeal goes away , if it does or slightly goes away I would replace the tensioner and the serpentine belt
Thanks I'll do that today. Should have known it wouldn't have been the easy idle pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I have the same squealing noise you are describing. It's starting to get worse and it's really annoying me. I hope you find out what's wrong so I can solve mine as well.
PBrown92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrown92 View Post
I have the same squealing noise you are describing. It's starting to get worse and it's really annoying me. I hope you find out what's wrong so I can solve mine as well.
Seems to be the tension pulley
Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Was the belt replaced when water pump was changed??? If coolant got on the belt at any time could be alil dry rotted also...check for an cracks and how deep groves are on belt...if tensioner is going bad check how much distance it travels when you pull on belt...shouldn't be able to pull up on belt more than an inch or so...

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Also its just an idler on the the tensioner arm...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
Was the belt replaced when water pump was changed??? If coolant got on the belt at any time could be alil dry rotted also...check for an cracks and how deep groves are on belt...if tensioner is going bad check how much distance it travels when you pull on belt...shouldn't be able to pull up on belt more than an inch or so...

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Also its just an idler on the the tensioner arm...
No clue i just bought a tension pulley and belt . If this doesn't fix it all move on to the next suspect .
Old 09-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You should be good then...while you have belt off spin the other pulleys to see if they are smooth with no wobble or grind...water pump and power steering should not have too much wiggle when you grab them...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
You should be good then...while you have belt off spin the other pulleys to see if they are smooth with no wobble or grind...water pump and power steering should not have too much wiggle when you grab them...
Yeah already checked that all seems good there.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It was either the belt or the tension pulley but its fixed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT