Easiest way to Eliminate MACH 460? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Easiest way to Eliminate MACH 460?

So ive had problems with my mach 460 and all i get is very quiet static music playing when volume turned up all the way, previous owner messed with the stock wiring and i cant figure it out

How can i still use most of the factory speakers with an aftermarket radio and have good sound? I might get subs and amp too
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Im about to get rid of my Mach system too. I get a weird buzzing sound whenever mines turned on and occasionally stops and think I blew a speaker to anyway.

Id just upgrade the whole setup, its getting old and might as well just get it out of the way.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Im about to get rid of my Mach system too. I get a weird buzzing sound whenever mines turned on and occasionally stops and think I blew a speaker to anyway.

Id just upgrade the whole setup, its getting old and might as well just get it out of the way.
Like how? Im new to replacing speakers and all that stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
I have a mach 460 in my car, I changed the head unit... what is wrong with the wiring. is it still hooked up to the shock wire harness for the mach 460 head unit...
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Checkout some YouTube videos should be some how to's to give you a general idea. Plenty of stereo shops out there too who can do it.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
I have a mach 460 in my car, I changed the head unit... what is wrong with the wiring. is it still hooked up to the shock wire harness for the mach 460 head unit...
In the trunk, he cut 2 wires that are in the middle of the two rear amps, i believe its a green/black wire and yellow/black. i respliced the wires and it didnt solve anything
Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Road Trip!

if you want to delete it completely ypu will have to run speaker wires from the speakers all the way to the new head unit wire harness. also a ground wire and a power wire to the battery.. the stock wire harness in the car uses all that so if you still have access to the wires you can just connect them... but if your running new speakers you wont be able to use the vehicles wire harness and will need to run your own speaker wires... same with if you have a sub and amp.. run the remote wire to the deck and the power wire to the battery... need some more info on what exactly you want to do
Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The 460 system runs on 3 ohms. Aftermarket stuff won't sync up with it like you'd want. The reason is, they dont make aftermarket 3 ohm anything, and its not compatable with 1, 2, or 4 ohm speakers. It will work fot a little bit, but eventually the stock speakers will blow. If your gonna get rid of the 460, do it right and replace everything.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

well i dont have money to literally replace everything, anyone know how i can fix the mach 460? would buying a new mach 460 harness fix it?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Road Trip!

first you need to figure out whats wrong... does your radio play at all... do you have stock head unit... if he cut the wires and replaced the head unit maybe he just didn't want to use the amps... take the head unit out of the dash and take a look at the wire harness and see if everything is still connected. if he cut the amp wires and you connected them together and its still not working maybe they aren't connected to the new head unit
Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
first you need to figure out whats wrong... does your radio play at all... do you have stock head unit... if he cut the wires and replaced the head unit maybe he just didn't want to use the amps... take the head unit out of the dash and take a look at the wire harness and see if everything is still connected. if he cut the amp wires and you connected them together and its still not working maybe they aren't connected to the new head unit
Yes radio plays but only when volume is all the way up can u hear it. Very static. Harness is fine from behind the radio. It's not factory radio. It's the same exact thing but it's out of a Lincoln. I'll upload a pic soon
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Road Trip!

do you have an aftermarket head unit you could try. walmart sells a wire harness to go between your stock one and new one
Old 09-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had same problem of static and when id turn it up thered be an ugly wasp like buzz.and I knew nothing about systems but I removed the shifter bezzel and all and rewired all the wires together to there partners anf it worked a bit. Then I got tired of the old ugly aftermarket stereo I had bought a new one with a mach 460 wire adapter on amazon and just connected the wire colors together plugged it in and WALAHH! It fixed everything that was wrong. I guess it was just the headunit was old or burnt or messed up
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
Road Trip!

be careful when buyin the wire harness a lot claim to be the rite one but aren't.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
do you have an aftermarket head unit you could try. walmart sells a wire harness to go between your stock one and new one
Sadly I don't, the car came with no radio and I had to buy a used factory one out of a Lincoln. What year is ur stang? Could u take a pic of some wiring for me?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
Road Trip!

I have a 200 had the dual din in my car, it gave me such a head ache when I switched to my single din dvd player that I should have took pics for others...
on the back of your head unit you will have three connections... the black plug that has the speaker wire is all you will need, the others are grounds.... buy a wire harness from walmart and a new head unit and twist color for color together from your new head unit wire harness to the walmart one... once you do that, you will have a black one left,,, just take one of the ground wires you disconnected from the old head unit and twist those wires together... now take that walmart wire harness and plug it into your cars... so should go your cars harness, to the walmart one to the new decks wire harness to your new deck.. should then work.. haha hope that makes sense to you... any questions just ask
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
Road Trip!

found a pic on my phone I took when I was confused and showed a buddy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	130829  
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Road Trip!

your going to need to find this harness... I live in Canada so I got mine at Canadian tire, pretty sure walmart has the same ones... this is it tho.. then just cut the green and white plugs off.. as they are not needed... tape up the wires... splice your new harness to this one color for color... then take one of those silver tipped square plugs u see inside ur dash and plug it into that black plug on this harness.. its for the amps I think...
E2 Car Stereo Wiring Connector for 1994 and up Ford Vehicles | Canadian Tire
Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
Road Trip!

these are all you will be using... so buy the harness.. splice it with your new deck harness then clip it to those and your done ... oh and the orange thick one is your antenna so plug that into your deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire2.jpg
Views:	2788
Size:	907.4 KB
ID:	130832  
Old 09-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Road Trip!

sorry for so many msgs but if you follow those instructions and it does not turn on then check your fuse located under the hood in that fuse box. actually disconnect your battery while you do all this to avoid that issue
Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sorry for so many msgs but if you follow those instructions and it does not turn on then check your fuse located under the hood in that fuse box. actually disconnect your battery while you do all this to avoid that issue
I think I already have that harness for the black speaker plug.

But will all my speakers power? The dealer I bought my car from had an aftermarket radio but no deck. Previous owner had the door speakers switched (the top tweeter plug was plugged into the bottom speaker, and the bottom speaker plug was plugged into the top tweeter) does that make sense?

I switched them back to normal. But Before I switched them back, I bought an aftermarket radio and hooked it up with the harness. I only got sound out of the bottom speakers in the front? Do u think since I changed the plugs back to normal now all speakers will work?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #22
Road Trip!

should, try and make them all wired back like factory and connect the harness like I said and everything should work fine
Old 09-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
should, try and make them all wired back like factory and connect the harness like I said and everything should work fine
Alright I will try that. Thanks for the help. I'll have an update soon
Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Correct way to do it:

-Bug into the fusebox for the power/ground/dimmer and put a loom on it to make it look good. Rip out the factory rats nest of wires behind your dash. Remove any factory amp because they are ALL junk.
-Use good RCA cables, get a good aftermarket speaker amp and mount it under the seat or in the trunk or wherever.
-Run the headunit RCA to the amp, run quality speaker wire to a good set of speakers like Pioneers.
-0 Gauge cable from the battery to a subwoofer amp and a good quality sub/subs in the trunk and wire that in too.

And if you are just doing a basic setup like I have in my CSVT I deleted the factory amp, made my own bypass harness out of regular speaker wire and got rid of half the wiring that all went to the factory CSVT amp. Again the only thing plugged into the headunit in there is the power/dimmer/ground/antenna. Pioneer headunit built in amp sounds a million times better than the Ford amp ever did going to four 6x8 pioneer speakers.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT