blown head gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

blown head gasket

Hey guys, I know it's been a while but i'm back.
Got some bad news and really good news.
One my pony is really sick right now but on the mend so to speak.
Blew the right head gasket and started to burn coolant in the #1 and #3 cylinders.
I started to notice that i was going through some coolant, It took a little over a week to get low enough to turn on the dummy light, did that twice. started to look for leaks but found none so i put my coolant pressure tester on it and still no leak.
but as soon as i started her up she started to miss really bad and i realized, ( HEAD GASKET). so she's torn down now, heads are rebuilt and shaved to get rid of the gasket imprint. block was decked also. new bearings and seals all around plus new rings also. SO pretty much NEW motor. Saleenfiend I did break down and got long tube headers by PACESETTER with 3 inch collector and i'm going to run 3inch all the way back. Going to have to make my own H-pipe and i have a guy at work that will weld every thing together, will be in three pieces. H-PIPE , right and left cat back.
Now everyone i have a question about the head bolt torque.
Several different sources told me to wait 24 hours between torque to yield because of the multi layered head gaskets, other sources tell me to run the motor before the last torque to yield. , any and all help would be great.

but anyhow great to be back.
michaelsneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Have done the exact same thing on my engine. New seals, bearings, piston rings, port and polished heads, honed block and all that... I was trying to find the sequence for it and i asked my sergeant if he knew about it, he told me to just torque it down and then when you build up the rest of the engine, before start, just recheck the torque again. He's never heard of anyone torquing after start.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i kind of figured that, nether have i, I've been a mechanic for 20 years and i never ran across torquing after start ether but a number of people have told me to do this but it just doesn't sit right with so that's why i posed the question.
anyway the lower end is done and heads are done plus new oil pump came in today. i might have her running this weekend, haven't driven her all summer and i get her done just before winter , .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Same here man.. I havent driven her for a year... But what kind of oil pump and where? I think i should replace mine but i dont know...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

RockAuto Parts Catalog
I'm just getting the OEM replacement,
Went with SEALED POWER. $91.79 BEFORE SHIPPING.
Engine is back in and , not running yet but it's in.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Did you try to start it up? I'm excited to see mine crank over after a year or so of sitting but with my luck something's going to break! Anything i might forget when putting mine in and startup? It's done besides pulleys, but It'll be dropped in this week.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, hit the starter and she fired right up, had some tappets for a couple of minutes but that cleared up. rev. her up to 2200 rpm let off then snapped throttle and she idled down nicely.
no hesitation run on ether. also took her out around the block a couple of times and launched her a little and she put me in my seat. NICE. will say for a 2 valve she can put the power too the ground when she wants to. Next project is entire exhaust system with long tube headers and a custom three inch H-pipe that i and a friend made with high flow cats and flowmaster super 44 mufflers and three inch cat back to the rear bumper. after that suspension . let me know how your goes.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

dropping the motor is pretty strait forward. and make sure that you put the harness through the injector rail like it was before . if you don't you will bend the rear plastic hose between the rails and it kink. i had to replace mine. oops. when you are ready to put coolant in put the front end up on jack stands . the up angle will cause the air to bleed out faster .
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsneal View Post
Yes, hit the starter and she fired right up, had some tappets for a couple of minutes but that cleared up. rev. her up to 2200 rpm let off then snapped throttle and she idled down nicely.
no hesitation run on ether. also took her out around the block a couple of times and launched her a little and she put me in my seat. NICE. will say for a 2 valve she can put the power too the ground when she wants to. Next project is entire exhaust system with long tube headers and a custom three inch H-pipe that i and a friend made with high flow cats and flowmaster super 44 mufflers and three inch cat back to the rear bumper. after that suspension . let me know how your goes.
Glad it all went smoothly
01LaserCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm getting ready to drop mine in tomorrow so I'll make sure to do that. I'm very hopeful that engine will start right up. I live on base and have every tool i need for anything pretty much so if something comes up I'll let yall know and maybe get some help with it. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT