Automatic shifter is messed up :( - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman705 View Post
it has nothing to do with the show its to show you guys who have no idea a visual... unless your driving an olllld car with an old tranny its not going to happen any newer vehicle will not allow you to shift into park or reverse while driving forward its just impossible... if you don't know what your talking abouyt don't comment because your going to give the kid the wrong impression and make him think hes going to f this tranny and no one wants to f u ck a tranny
Once again, I've seen it myself. Others on here have too, not sure what else there is to say excep that posting your proof as a link to Mythbusters just confirms the internet racer status.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Once again, I've seen it myself. Others on here have too, not sure what else there is to say excep that posting your proof as a link to Mythbusters just confirms the internet racer status.

wow man you have no idea what your talking about, any newer car will not allow it to happen its impossible to happen, mythbusters or not it cant be done. there is no possible way that his new edge mustang will allow him to go into reverse and blow up his tranny or for it to wreck his car
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #38
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm glad you have so much personal experience with this.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'm glad you have so much personal experience with this.

how can I have personal experience with it when it cant happen haha something that is impossible is hard to experience.

also I have this done to my car and have yet to mess up and put it in reverse or park. that's almost like driving a standard and going into reverse. not going to happen
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can go into reverse with a stick too... Reverse lockouts exist for a reason especially on 6 speeds. I hope you never do go into reverse at speed. At best you'll wreck your trans. At worst you'll wind up on your roof. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #41
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
how can I have personal experience with it when it cant happen haha something that is impossible is hard to experience. also I have this done to my car and have yet to mess up and put it in reverse or park. that's almost like driving a standard and going into reverse. not going to happen
I have personally seen someone go into reverse at about 5k and watched the tranny end up all over the pavement.. Along with him slamming into the wall
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
I have personally seen someone go into reverse at about 5k and watched the tranny end up all over the pavement.. Along with him slamming into the wall
But you're wrong because that experience doesn't hold up to what someone saw on a show on TV.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
But you're wrong because that experience doesn't hold up to what someone saw on a show on TV.
My bad it was a dream..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
Road Trip!

ok think what you want but I would bet anything that there is no possible way that HIS NEW EDGE MUSTANG 2000 or whatever year it is can damage the transmit ion by him accidently going into it. maybe a built tranny or old tranny could but no modern car will allow it to happen. Your wrong but think what you want
Old 10-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Region: California
Can't u guys just agree that it is possible but not likely unless your a fuhktard or have a slap shifter of some sort?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
ok think what you want but I would bet anything that there is no possible way that HIS NEW EDGE MUSTANG 2000 or whatever year it is can damage the transmit ion by him accidently going into it. maybe a built tranny or old tranny could but no modern car will allow it to happen. Your wrong but think what you want
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #47
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Can't u guys just agree that it is possible but not likely unless your a fuhktard or have a slap shifter of some sort?
You mean like a stock shifter with the clip removed that doesn't have the safety features an aftermarket ratchet shifter does?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You mean like a stock shifter with the clip removed that doesn't have the safety features an aftermarket ratchet shifter does?
Exactly like that!!!
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

All of you guys kinda disappoint me.
Even you Mustangman, who I think is largely right, by the way...
Ive been hoping that someone would chime in and settle this disagreement ,but, since nobody has, I will, one of the "older" guys on here.
Were any of you guys ever young? You never took your parents Suburban, or whatever, out for a good thrash? How about a rental car? None of you have ever bought their expensive comprehensive insurance and returned the car beat to f ck?
Anybody?
Well I have...
I guess that I grew up in a different era. There was no internet and you had to go to an arcade to play video games.
We had to come up with ways to entertain ourselves.

I have done this, many times, and I have never seen an automobile transmission that will go into reverse with the car rolling forward any faster than about 15 mph. Usually, much slower.
Same thing with Park.
It acts just like neutral, hence Mzilla's buddies supercharger exploding and NOT his transmission.
I want you guys to think about this: If you could put a car into reverse while it was moving at freeway speeds, don't you think that you would hear about a lot of accidents and fatalities because of this?
Trust me, there are plenty of people who have put the car in reverse or park while traveling down the road, whether by accident or on purpose.

It can be done though...
You have to be trying to do it. If you can lock the brakes up long enough for the transmission to engage reverse, it will go into both reverse and park.
Then the fun begins!

Give it a try in the Expedition Scotty. You'll see.

Caleb might be needing a new transmission. If we could just just help him get his car to go into park and reverse, maybe he could do a demonstration for us, right before he swaps out transmissions.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
All of you guys kinda disappoint me. Even you Mustangman, who I think is largely right, by the way... Ive been hoping that someone would chime in and settle this disagreement ,but, since nobody has, I will, one of the "older" guys on here. Were any of you guys ever young? You never took your parents Suburban, or whatever, out for a good thrash? How about a rental car? None of you have ever bought their expensive comprehensive insurance and returned the car beat to f ck? Anybody? Well I have... I guess that I grew up in a different era. There was no internet and you had to go to an arcade to play video games. We had to come up with ways to entertain ourselves. I have done this, many times, and I have never seen an automobile transmission that will go into reverse with the car rolling forward any faster than about 15 mph. Usually, much slower. Same thing with Park. It acts just like neutral, hence Mzilla's buddies supercharger exploding and NOT his transmission. I want you guys to think about this: If you could put a car into reverse while it was moving at freeway speeds, don't you think that you would hear about a lot of accidents and fatalities because of this? Trust me, there are plenty of people who have put the car in reverse or park while traveling down the road, whether by accident or on purpose. It can be done though... You have to be trying to do it. If you can lock the brakes up long enough for the transmission to engage reverse, it will go into both reverse and park. Then the fun begins! Give it a try in the Expedition Scotty. You'll see. Caleb might be needing a new transmission. If we could just just help him get his car to go into park and reverse, maybe he could do a demonstration for us, right before he swaps out transmissions.
+1 good knowledge from an older gentleman

I can post a video of the problems? Would everyone watch it and help me figure it out?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

If your car will still drive and shift iand your your shifter is just not matching up then you just need to adjust your shifter
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #52
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol, I never said its SUPPOSED to happen, just that it can. And when you have someone with a shifter with safety features removed that just makes it more likely. I've seen it at the track and no I will not give it a try in my Expy in case there is something wrong with the lockout and I do go in by accident. Not sure what else I can say other than I have personally seen it happen with my own eyes.

But again, I guess real world does not matter and I'm just making up what happened?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post

+1 good knowledge from an older gentleman

I can post a video of the problems? Would everyone watch it and help me figure it out?
Y E S ! ! !

If a pic is worth 1000 words..
How many do u think a video is worth? Lol

I can't diagnose it myself, but I'm sure somebody who can would like a video too lol
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #54
Road Trip!

its okay Scotty Doesn't Know... let him just make assumptions of what would happen when he has no idea how the transmit ion works
Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Definitely do a video Caleb.

No Scotty, don't do it to your own car. But the next time that you rent a car...
Nothing is impossible.

On a Model T Ford, throwing it (or stepping it, as the case may be) into reverse was the preferred emergency braking procedure.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

link to video: http://youtu.be/NZ0vmJbqOGI

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #57
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
its okay Scotty Doesn't Know... let him just make assumptions of what would happen when he has no idea how the transmit ion works
Obviously you aren't the only internet racer on here seeing as me and multiple others have seen it happen in real life. It CAN happen. It SHOULDN'T happen, and safety locks/features are there to prevent it from happening but if one or all of them fail or are removed... have fun on your roof and double the fun if you don't have a cage.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What gets me MM, is that , obviously, NONE of you have ever done this. When I was a teen, it was just standard operating procedure to know how to make the car do what you needed it to do. And this was all knowledge "passed down" from our idiot older buddies.
Now, admittedly, we were all a bunch of lunatics, but I'm just stunned that nobody has done this, even by accident.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
Road Trip!

that little wire is what makes you press on the break to be able to move the shifter... with it unhooked you should be able to move the shifter without pressing on the break
Old 10-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #60
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
What gets me MM, is that , obviously, NONE of you have ever done this. When I was a teen, it was just standard operating procedure to know how to make the car do what you needed it to do. And this was all knowledge "passed down" from our idiot older buddies.
Now, admittedly, we were all a bunch of lunatics, but I'm just stunned that nobody has done this, even by accident.

hhaha I did it in a Push back tug at work today just to see what happened, went from drive to reverse and all it did was act like it was in neutral till it slowed down to basically a stop then reverse engaged... no way was it going to just blow up
Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
link to video: 1998 mustang gt auto shifter problem - YouTube

Thanks for the help!!!!
Ok Caleb, back on topic.
It seems like your cable may be stretching and ready to break.
Again, I think the smart thing to do here is, put the car back on jack stands, disconnect the cable, and shift the transmission by hand. Start with verifying that it will go into park and the transmission locks. You don't need the engine running for this. When its in park just spin the rear wheels till you hear it lock. For reverse and the rest of the gears, start the car and set the parking brake shift into reverse and don't ever let anybody stay under the car while the wheels are rotating. Let off the brake and verify that reverse engages. Make sure to apply the brakes before shifting back into park. (Doesn't really apply to you right now but I'm trying to pound home how I know that modern transmissions won't go into reverse or park with the wheels rotating) If you forget, your transmission will give you a friendly reminder.
That plug is just for access to the torque converter drain plug.
How bad is it leaking?
Make sure the trans fluid is at the proper level with the engine running and transmission at operating temperature.

I'm betting that it's the cable, but try to isolate the problem before you buy any parts or unnecessarily take your car apart any further.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! And I don't have jack stands. Just 2 ramps that I drive onto. I'll look for a jack and try that!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! And I don't have jack stands. Just 2 ramps that I drive onto. I'll look for a jack and try that!
Invest in some jack stands Caleb...
You can never be too careful when working under a car. I've come very close to being crushed when a car fell off of a jack.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Back when I had a 96 GT auto i managed to put it in reverse while going pretty quick and it just stalled. Happened again on a Silverado 9x and it just shut off.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
Back when I had a 96 GT auto i managed to put it in reverse while going pretty quick and it just stalled. Happened again on a Silverado 9x and it just shut off.

shhh don't let scotty see this post he will tell you that your lucky to be alive ..hes seen it with his own eyes how deadly putting it in reverse is lol
Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

This guy is an idiot ^
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #67
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
shhh don't let scotty see this post he will tell you that your lucky to be alive ..hes seen it with his own eyes how deadly putting it in reverse is lol
Seriously? Grow up.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone else watch the video and know anything?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyone else watch the video and know anything?
Id say get a new shifter cable before you swap out you whole transmission

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Or if you can lift the rear tires off the ground and crawl under the car and see what happens when you shift out of park and then try to cycle through the gears and have some one put their foot on the break while you change gears
Old 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
This guy is an idiot ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Seriously? Grow up.
We are trying to fix Calebs transmission guys...
Why don't you start another thread if you want to do this?

I believe that would be the Minor Squabbles and Personality Clashes forum.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT