Clutch job - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Ohio
Clutch job

So this Friday I sat out to change my clutch in my 96 gt. Someone had rode it so bad the throw out bearing was shot. So my father and I have done many clutches from our 68 and 70 1/2 camaros. To the fwd eclipses I had in my younger years along with countless cj jeeps from my dads 4wd days. So piece of cake right!? WRONG! As we always do we bought a Haynes manual along with research on the internet and found what the hang ups might be and guestimate a time. Now its time to start the car gets lifted like a donk on jack stands .pull the drive shaft and exhaust. On to the trans cross member OK good pace so far. Then we get to design flaw #1 the starter! Good f'n luck putting a new one on if it ever goes bad no room and you can only reach the bolts from bottom and bearly get a tool in there. After giving it a new name and 20 mins its off on to the bell housing flaw #2 WTF good luck reaching the top two bolts you have to use swivels and extensions and make a go go gadget ratchet . Then after those its time to maneuver the thing out the tunnel but there at to ears the I believe only hold wire grommets ( both cut off for reinstall). OK so its out clutch is out throw out bearing changed and now the pilot bearing. Never had to remove one with a slide hammer before flaw #3. That's changed time to put it back together. Like I said before we cut off the 2 tabs on the bell housing made it easier also had to in list a 3rd set of hands to get it in. Hopefully the top trans bolts don't need torqued cause its not happening! 3-5 hours was the estimate 12-16 hours later it was done. With it in the car feels brand new I love it all around. But in my opinion the easiest way to do this would be a motor trany pull. If I had a back up car I would have stopped and done that half way thru. Still I love the car just never doing that again.
sn95on20s is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT