Auto trans replacement? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Auto trans replacement?

How hard would it be to replace my trans with a used trans (both automatic). How much would a shop charge?
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's bad huh?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's bad huh?
I think so cuz I adjusted the cable on the side of trans and the shifter stick is still stiff but it's loose in the middle. I can only get into Neutral and Drive. Park and reverse won't work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Could it be that the shifter is broken?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well assuming your replacing yours with the same kind, its straight forward. Take the exhaust off, then drive shaft; unbolt the tranny, disconnect the shifter linkage, and remove. Then the same steps in reverse to install the new tranny. A shop could easily do it in a few hours. I'd plan on a few hundred in labor; and hopefully you get to keep some cash.

Now if you have longtube headers, installing a different transmission (assuming you'd need a different shifter, maybe custom driveshaft), or something along those lines it could take longer. But all in all, its not hard. If your mechanically saavy, you could do it in your drive way. Just bring some friends to help you remove and install the transmissions. They are heavy, and you don't want to die becasue a "tranny" fell on you....... just sayin'

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post

I think so cuz I adjusted the cable on the side of trans and the shifter stick is still stiff but it's loose in the middle. I can only get into Neutral and Drive. Park and reverse won't work
Can you move the linkage by hand and put it in park and reverse that way? Again, be very careful. I had an issue with the linkage on my 94' f150. I tied some string to the linkage and tied it to the rear bumper. I pulled it from there and sometimes had to shift It thay way until I got it fixed.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Can you move the linkage by hand and put it in park and reverse that way? Again, be very careful. I had an issue with the linkage on my 94' f150. I tied some string to the linkage and tied it to the rear bumper. I pulled it from there and sometimes had to shift It thay way until I got it fixed.[/QUOTE]

Haha... thats classic!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you move the linkage by hand and put it in park and reverse that way? Again, be very careful. I had an issue with the linkage on my 94' f150. I tied some string to the linkage and tied it to the rear bumper. I pulled it from there and sometimes had to shift It thay way until I got it fixed.
Haha... thats classic! [/QUOTE]

Well my dad was adjusting the cable and I was in the car moving the shifter. We it did not start while it was in park. Only neutral (park is all the way clicked up right? Towards the engine) and it still only works in neutral and drive.

Is the linkage the cable? If not can u get me a pic!?

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Well assuming your replacing yours with the same kind, its straight forward. Take the exhaust off, then drive shaft; unbolt the tranny, disconnect the shifter linkage, and remove. Then the same steps in reverse to install the new tranny. A shop could easily do it in a few hours. I'd plan on a few hundred in labor; and hopefully you get to keep some cash. Now if you have longtube headers, installing a different transmission (assuming you'd need a different shifter, maybe custom driveshaft), or something along those lines it could take longer. But all in all, its not hard. If your mechanically saavy, you could do it in your drive way. Just bring some friends to help you remove and install the transmissions. They are heavy, and you don't want to die becasue a "tranny" fell on you....... just sayin' ---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ---------- Can you move the linkage by hand and put it in park and reverse that way? Again, be very careful. I had an issue with the linkage on my 94' f150. I tied some string to the linkage and tied it to the rear bumper. I pulled it from there and sometimes had to shift It thay way until I got it fixed.
Hey good info man! Appreciate it. I'll try adjusting it again. And I have stock headers.

I found a rebuilt trans with shift kit on Craigslist that came out of a 98 gt (same as mine) for $200 firm. He said its 2 months old and he totaled his stang
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao.
I'm not sure how I did it but I just stole Roguestangs advice and it looks like I wrote it.
Do like Roguestang said, disconnect the cable from the transmission and try to shift the trans by hand. As stated above be very careful if you do it with the engine running.
You need to isolate the problem to the shifter, the linkage/cable, or the transmission.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

When I say linkage, I mean the connector between the shifter and the lever on the transmission. If you disconnect the shifter completely from the tranny, can you move the lever on the transmission into all the gears? I'm not sure of the positions for all the gears on I believe a 4r70w (I think that what you have). But get it started, then push it all the way forward (if its not already) and push it back one notch at a time, until all gears are accounted for (hopefully).

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Lmao.
I'm not sure how I did it but I just stole Roguestangs advice and it looks like I wrote it.
Do like Roguestang said, disconnect the cable from the transmission and try to shift the trans by hand. As stated above be very careful if you do it with the engine running.
You need to isolate the problem to the shifter, the linkage/cable, or the transmission.
+1 lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I say linkage, I mean the connector between the shifter and the lever on the transmission. If you disconnect the shifter completely from the tranny, can you move the lever on the transmission into all the gears? I'm not sure of the positions for all the gears on I believe a 4r70w (I think that what you have). But get it started, then push it all the way forward (if its not already) and push it back one notch at a time, until all gears are accounted for (hopefully). ---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ---------- +1 lol

Do I need to disconnect te cable? Cuz I could move it into gears with it still connected
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post

Do I need to disconnect te cable? Cuz I could move it into gears with it still connected
If you can get it into all the gears with it connected, but it still won't go Into park or reverse, then there is a serious issue. But I'm womdering if the shifter is showing its in a gear when its really not. So unless you're sure you are in the gear the shifter is telling you are in, I would disconnect the cable and attempt to shift it from the lever on the tranny so you can isolate the problem. If it still won't go into all the gears its got to be the tranny. If you haven't already, check the fluid level. I've seen some autos do some weird stuff when they were low on fluid too. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you can get it into all the gears with it connected, but it still won't go Into park or reverse, then there is a serious issue. But I'm womdering if the shifter is showing its in a gear when its really not. So unless you're sure you are in the gear the shifter is telling you are in, I would disconnect the cable and attempt to shift it from the lever on the tranny so you can isolate the problem. If it still won't go into all the gears its got to be the tranny. If you haven't already, check the fluid level. I've seen some autos do some weird stuff when they were low on fluid too. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Yeah the trans fluid is low. Looks like it's leaking too from this circle black plug. It's not a screw. It's loose and feels like its a plug from a bathtub. I'm definitely leaking trans fluid from that plug idk what it is
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

idk what that is either there isn't a "drain" plug on these, so I'm not really sure. Can you take a picture?

But fix that leak, fill it up with fluid and see if it still gives you issues.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If your trans truly is bad and you replace it with a good used one, make sure you get a 97.5-03 transmission and make sure if it doesn't have provisions for VSS (stopped in 01 at some point) you swap your tailshaft and housing from the current trans to the one you get. You can also do this to an 04 4r75w transmission but you need to do a small tune modification and change the pulse wheel tooth count from 6 to 24.

What I would do if its jacked and not just something in the cables is get a clean low mileage trans, j-mod it, get a nice stall for it while its out and have it all installed. A shop is going to rape you btw, just so you are aware. If you can find a person who has done transmission stuff before and can get access to a place where you can rent a lift you can do it yourself in an afternoon and just pay the lift fee.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
idk what that is either there isn't a "drain" plug on these, so I'm not really sure. Can you take a picture? But fix that leak, fill it up with fluid and see if it still gives you issues.
I'll get a pic today soemtime

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If your trans truly is bad and you replace it with a good used one, make sure you get a 97.5-03 transmission and make sure if it doesn't have provisions for VSS (stopped in 01 at some point) you swap your tailshaft and housing from the current trans to the one you get. You can also do this to an 04 4r75w transmission but you need to do a small tune modification and change the pulse wheel tooth count from 6 to 24. What I would do if its jacked and not just something in the cables is get a clean low mileage trans, j-mod it, get a nice stall for it while its out and have it all installed. A shop is going to rape you btw, just so you are aware. If you can find a person who has done transmission stuff before and can get access to a place where you can rent a lift you can do it yourself in an afternoon and just pay the lift fee.
I don't have money for a low mileage trans and stall. I found a trans out of a 98 gt (same year as mine) for 200$ with a shift kit
Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well I'd at least try to find a Mach 1 converter for $100 while you have the trans out. They stall a little higher than the GT, 2100rpm IIRC. $200 is a good price if you trust the person selling it to you.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I'd at least try to find a Mach 1 converter for $100 while you have the trans out. They stall a little higher than the GT, 2100rpm IIRC. $200 is a good price if you trust the person selling it to you.
That's the thing, idk if he's serious or lying
Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

I would be VERY suspicious in this case. You could just as easily be buying a $200 paperweight and if you are having a shop install it you will be out whatever labor is charged regardless if it works or not.

I'd at least get one from a yard that will warranty it if you can find one.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would be VERY suspicious in this case. You could just as easily be buying a $200 paperweight and if you are having a shop install it you will be out whatever labor is charged regardless if it works or not. I'd at least get one from a yard that will warranty it if you can find one.
Idk if I can find one and it would probly cost more.

He said "I had it rebuilt with a shift kit only 2 months ago, totaled the stang and sold it to the junk yard, I also have the x pipe for $30, not sure which brand"
Old 10-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

No receipts=treat it like a stock trans of the same mileage as the car.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I asked if he had receipts and he said no.
But he told me where he had it rebuilt and what city. I will post a link of the ad for sale

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Mustang gt 4.6 auto trans professionally rebuilt with shift kit
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

You can take the pan off and look at the valve body to see if there is a shift kit
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Still doesn't mean the rest of the trans was rebuilt. A stock rebuild with really low miles and a shift kit is worth way more than $200, that's what makes this a bit suspect.

I mean the guy could have had it just done by a buddy and even done very well but you have no way of knowing that for sure. If you want to chance it and it seems legit for $200 that might be a steal and $200 isn't exactly a ton of money either but that's a car payment or a month of gas too.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

watch my video! Help me http://youtu.be/NZ0vmJbqOGI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT