Problems with tune after install mods (CAI, TB, Plenum, etc) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
Problems with tune after install mods (CAI, TB, Plenum, etc)

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my mustang and i wanted to know your opinion about the correct parameters for some sections at Diablosport U7146.

I own a Mustang GT 2001 (manual) with the following mods: CAI (SR Performance), Underdrive Pulleys (SR Preformance), TB/Plenum Combo (Professional Products), Gears Set 3.55 (Ford), Mufflers Flowmaster 40 Series, Diablosport U7146 and Tires 20 inch (NEXEN Rear Tires 285/30/20, Front Tires 255/35/20 ). All the mods were installed 3 days ago over a well-working stock platform.
The diablosport Predator U7146 software version is v.9r07b. The Gasoline with Higher Octane available at my country is 95.
After installed all the parts i connected the diablosport and choosen the option 'Modify Stock Tune' and changed the following parameters:

(it is the last config that worked fine to me but still not good)

*Axle Ratio = 3.54
*Tires revs per mile = 753
*Traction = off
*Idle rpm
---> Manual = 870
*Rev and Speed Limits
---> Speed limiter Off MPH = Off
---> Speed limiter ON MPH = Off
*Spark Advance
---> Spark Advance 2k-4k = 1
---> Spark Advance 4k-7k = 1
*WOT Fuel
---> Open Loop Fuel 2k-4k = -12
---> Open Loop Fuel 4k-7k = -6

what is the problem at this moment ?

The machine performs very well moving forward. The problem is when it starts to decelerate. A series of explosions occur in the exhaust and i want to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
reboot4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
First of all welcome!! Post some pictures up.

Now to your problem. Lots of aftermarket exhaust systems will cause a crackle/pop type noise on deceleration. My car does it pretty often. Can you get a video of it? For your tune why didn't you go with a custom tune like a mail order tune from Bama or a dyno tune?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
A couple of things that can cause this issue is unmetered air getting into the engine what size TB and plenum are you running? Another issue is not running enough fuel, it's hard to say from the parameters you posted without really knowing what the stock one are
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

This december i will rebuild my motor (piston rings, rod bearings, etc) also i will install ported piston heads. I want to order a custom tune after that.
I have not a video yet, perhaps i will make it if i got time.
I forget to say that the TB is 70mm and Plenum 75mm. The exhaust system is the stock one except for the mufflers flowmaster. I removed the catalytic converter was time ago. The only aftermarket parts installed are the previously mentioned.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reboot4ever View Post
This december i will rebuild my motor (piston rings, rod bearings, etc) also i will install ported piston heads. I want to order a custom tune after that. I have not a video yet, perhaps i will make it if i got time. I forget to say that the TB is 70mm and Plenum 75mm. The exhaust system is the stock one except for the mufflers flowmaster. I removed the catalytic converter was time ago. The only aftermarket parts installed are the previously mentioned.
So the exhaust is popping ? .. Sounds normal to me
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Its just afterfire(backfire as most call it) in the exhaist. Happens in 3 situations : too rich, too lean, or timing of the ignition is retarded i wanna say could be wrong on timing. Pretty much as long as its on the exhaust side its ok. Just probably means your running rich and excess gas thats unburnt lights up with the heat of the echaust on its way out. Probably has to do a bit with the tune since i noticed u advanced your timing 1° and fuel trims are running you too lean. Its not bad however if u wanna minimize it or fix it per se i would advance it 2° in the higher rpm and leave it at 0° on low since or just play around with the settings as u like. However do watch the fuel trim aince negative is taking fuel awau therefore running lean. Gotta play around with it to feel out the performance. But in my opinion afterfire is normal in our cars even when u upgrade the exhaust on a stock stang.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Mine back fires sometimes , but all I have is just O/R X Pipe .. As far as mods for performance
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #8

@1996mustang : Thanks for your comments. It gave me a way to go for. Before change my current config at Diablosport as you was suggesting me, i decided to try something before.

I did replace all spark plugs for new ones (but not regular motorcraft platinum i used motorcraft iridium spark plugs) also i did replace all coils for new ones (motorcraft). The machine is working better moving forward as it was expected. Also the extreme loud afterfire explosions in the exhaust is not present anymore, instead it is making hard explosions (still acceptable) when the machine is decelerating from low revs (below 2600 rpm). I tested the car in 1 mile and it is doing very good.
Still i want to tune up with more precision and try to reduce the afterfire explosions.

I think now I must adjust the air-fuel mixture. What do you guys thinking based in this scenario?

I have not a wideband sensor to check the mixture Air/Fuel.
There is a way to see the percent of the mix Air/Fuel using the Predator?
Old 10-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Looking at your fuel trims is one way og atleast figuring out how your machine is running. -fuel % means running lean depending on how aggressive the numbers on. As long as you keep the fuel trim a tad positive should be well keep it rich rather than lean. I would suggest getting an a/f meter and tuning it correctly however you can base it off what the fuel trims are doing on the short term and long terms if need be. It may be time consuming but hey since when is tuning not time consuming lol. Besides custom tunes made from scratch are much more satisfying then getting tunes done averaged out.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Reeboot one bit of advice im not too positive diablo has this option but when i tuned with my sct it gave the option to change intake such as c&l cai or ram it gave me different options on how to classify my intake. Changing it say from ram to cai and say the intake is more of a ram than cai does affect how it performs. Idk if i make any sense to you on this part if not ill try to reiterate on what i mean. I.e. you have a bbk cai going into the fender. Tuner gives options like bbk intake or mac ram intake or so and u pick ram. Picking the setup will affect how it runs and say u did this it would probably choke and die. U put say c&l cai instead and it may run much better. Depends on the tuner as to what other optioms you have to tune with. Ill see if i can get my hands on my brothers diablo to see what options it has to help as much as possible

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
cai