Cracked intake manifold! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Cracked intake manifold!

Previously, I had a post on here regarding anti freeze leaking around the thermostat.. Finally got a day off and took it to ford and you guys were right.. My intake manifold was cracked. Ford was asking $886.78 to fix it.. But I'm going another route instead and buying a typhoon intake. What's the difference between the satin and polish? Anybody have any experience with those two? Is it actually necessary to do a cam upgrade? Because I don't know if I can at the moment. And what else do I need to look for when I have car taken apart? Appreciate all your comments.
mustangmar2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just buy the Dorman replacement. If your car isn't heavily modded, the typhoon intake won't net you much power, if any at all.

Oh, and you should be able to handle the work yourself if you're mechanically inclined in the least and have patience.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
STAY AWAY FROM DORMAN..... with that said, nothing besides the finish, and for peak power yeas cam upgrade recommended, but no its not needed, I have one and will be putting it on soon. look for a used one on ebay usally about 300$ got mine for 200, if you get a replace ment get on of Am or LMR
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Even though Sixpac made a great argument against the Dorman piece(?), I'm still going to say it's just a basic replacement. If you can find an OEM/FRPP one for a decent price get it.. it's obviously the best quality. But a lot of the time if you're having issues and your car is down, you have to get something on. The Dorman piece is going to do that, and will likely be less problematic than a Typhoon.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmar2001 View Post
Previously, I had a post on here regarding anti freeze leaking around the thermostat.. Finally got a day off and took it to ford and you guys were right.. My intake manifold was cracked. Ford was asking $886.78 to fix it.. But I'm going another route instead and buying a typhoon intake. What's the difference between the satin and polish? Anybody have any experience with those two? Is it actually necessary to do a cam upgrade? Because I don't know if I can at the moment. And what else do I need to look for when I have car taken apart? Appreciate all your comments.
If you don't have serious mods typhoon won't do you any good

If a ford part is coming off you should put a ford brand back on.

Why would you go cheap and buy a crappy dorman one
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Even though Sixpac made a great argument against the Dorman piece(?), I'm still going to say it's just a basic replacement. If you can find an OEM/FRPP one for a decent price get it.. it's obviously the best quality. But a lot of the time if you're having issues and your car is down, you have to get something on. The Dorman piece is going to do that, and will likely be less problematic than a Typhoon.
Dorman has proven to be the worst flowing one out there.. And the same price as the ford one
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 10-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
Dorman has proven to be the worst flowing one out there.. And the same price as the ford one
+1
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a typhoon upper and lower on my 95 and a week into the swap from the heat expanding and contracting it backed the bolts out and ate all the threading(even with thread lock), and I had to re-tap all but two bolts. but other than that, I like it, mine was used and ported.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The Dorman is garbage and has been proven as such. It flows like a NPI intake so if you like downgrading your car go ahead and get one...

As for the intake, just find a $100 good used PI intake with the metal crossover and call it good. There is no benefit to go with the Typhoon unless you like casting flash, extra weight and paying more money.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The Dorman is garbage and has been proven as such. It flows like a NPI intake so if you like downgrading your car go ahead and get one...

As for the intake, just find a $100 good used PI intake with the metal crossover and call it good. There is no benefit to go with the Typhoon unless you like casting flash, extra weight and paying more money.
X2 on the PI intake if you can find one
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No, the car isn't heavy modded but I have a lot done to it and in the process of doing a lot more to her. I just don't want to put the ford brand back on because I don't want to experience this again years down the road. I have heard people talk bad about Dorman.. so I'll stay away from that.

This is what I have done to the car so far:
BBK 70mm throttle body
Accufab intake plenum
BBK underdrive pulleys
BBK cold air intake
3.73 gear (in the process of being installed)
bama tuner
accel super coil
NGK iridium IX
mustangmar2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The Dorman doesn't flow as well as the Ford unit, but they don't fail very often. With your mods you should get the PI though. People have more reliability issues with the Typhoon than Dorman units from what I know... just get an OEM and be done with it
Old 10-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
The Dorman doesn't flow as well as the Ford unit, but they don't fail very often. With your mods you should get the PI though. People have more reliability issues with the Typhoon than Dorman units from what I know... just get an OEM and be done with it
What reliability issues with the typhoon?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 10-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post

What reliability issues with the typhoon?
I've seen reports of uneven mounting surfaces(huge vacuum leaks, unmetered air entry), pinhole coolant leaks, unequal runner diameters, and a few other less common signs of a poor casting. Most people recommend against them for good reason. A lot like the Dorman piece, it's just plain cheap... but at least the Dorman doesn't leak. If I knew the OP had all those mods I never would have recommended the cheapo... and maybe PP has improved the Typhoon, but last I knew it was Chinese made crapola.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

The typhoon is an inferior chinese crap metal version of the PI intake. PPl get their nuts all twisted up because "omgz teh metal PI intake!!1111 it can hold my Naaaaaaawwwsss!!!!111"

As with all professional products... products they are junk.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Keep your eyes open for a Bullitt take off intake if you can find one for a decent price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4171131349.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	132211  
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Get the typhoon if you plan on running nitrous those plastic pi intakes can't hold up past a 100 shot
importkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I cracked my intake a few years ago and decide to get a polished typhoon intake. I have had no such issues that are being mentioned in this thread. As mentioned by other members, minimal gains will be made unless you upgrade you heads and cams along with the intake. That goes for any aftermarket intake you get for the 2V. I'm pleased with the typhoon. Having said that, I wish I would've spent the extra money for a Trick Flow Track Heat intake. They are just dead sexy and work well with heads/cam upgrade.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
Keep your eyes open for a Bullitt take off intake if you can find one for a decent price.
You'll spend $1k if you are LUCKY, getting one in for 5 ft lbs gain across the board. It also is a heavy beast vs the PI intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by importkiller View Post
Get the typhoon if you plan on running nitrous those plastic pi intakes can't hold up past a 100 shot
False. They hold up to more nitrous than that and over 20 psi no problem. This is the updated ones, not the early ones.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
You'll spend $1k if you are LUCKY, getting one in for 5 ft lbs gain across the board. It also is a heavy beast vs the PI intake. False. They hold up to more nitrous than that and over 20 psi no problem. This is the updated ones, not the early ones.
Wow! People are actually getting that much for Bullitt intake manifolds?
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Scotty Do you have experience or know how nitrous works and where it combusts ?? Obviously not.. and yes the pi is good with forced induction I never said it wasn't
Old 10-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Scotty Do you have experience or know how nitrous works and where it combusts ?? Obviously not.. and yes the pi is good with forced induction I never said it wasn't
Combusts? Nitrous doesn't turn your intake manifold into a combustion chamber, man. It rapidly cools your air charge, making it more dense. Denser the air, more fuel you can mix with it and detonate in the actual combustion chamber.. same as boost. Valves are still seperating your combustion chamber from the intake and exhaust manifolds. Only thing the intake sees is a pressurized air charge, not the extreme pressure of combustion.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Lol..the cold from the nitrous shot will destroy your plastic manifold is all im trying to say not trying to get all technical just helping out letting him know if he does go the nitrous route the typhoon is a good investment if not pi is just as good
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Lol..the cold from the nitrous shot will destroy your plastic manifold is all im trying to say not trying to get all technical just helping out letting him know if he does go the nitrous route the typhoon is a good investment if not pi is just as good
No, just no.

Fuel puddling and nitrous backfires destroy your plastic manifold.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, just no.

Fuel puddling and nitrous backfires destroy your plastic manifold.
+1 lol
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I know its been beat to death in this thread, but definitely get a Ford PI Intake. Back in 06' mine cracked on my 2000. Being a broke college student at the time, I went online and ordered the cheapest one I could find. It was a Dorman, and I didn't know the difference. So all this while I've thought thats what i have. Well after seeing some horror stories for their product I went and checked my car. Sure enough its a FRPP PI intake.

Turns out, for a brief period of time Dorman sold Ford intakes for whatever reason. So I really lucked out! Scottys right though, they basically took an NPI intake and made the ports bigger for PI heads.

P.S. no need for that typhoon intake either.......

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT