I want to lower my car... Have some questions - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I hate hate HATE the placement of the front wheels in the wheel wells though which is how any stock setup or setup that doesn't mess with the stock placement is going to be. MM K member with forward offset A arms cures this and is what the car will be getting next year.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
BBK springs, Tokico Illumina shocks/stuts, Max Motorsports CC plates, Steeda LCAs, stock UCAs. Rides great, just stiffer like any lowered car is going to be. If you are expecting a stock cushy ride you will be disappointed.
car looks great!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36 View Post
Ok, so for the next mod on my 00 GT I want to lower it. I have a few questions though. What all is needed to lower the vehicle? I see on AM they have like springs for $250-300. Would that be all I need or is there other parts required? Also how does the car handle after being lowered? Thank you for all of the help!
I had these same questions this summer when I did mine. Luckily I know a good shop that gives me great prices, got my H&R super sports, koni STR.T shocks, tokico hp struts, MM CC plates, Moog ball joints, SR poly isolators, and MM CC plates installed for 350 out the door. The springs took it down 1 3/4 in the front and 1 and a hair over a half in the rear, pretty much as advertised. I did need the CC plates for the allignment or so they said when I had it done that without them it wouldn't have got back into spec. I would say doing it right cost me around 1000-1100 with install costs combined. This is something you want done right in my opinion. Rides great, looks tons better, and performs 10000 times better. My car had 67k on all the stock stuff so I decided to go new on most if the parts and do it once.
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sonicbgt View Post
Went and picked it up a little bit ago, and im surprised to say in pleased with it!

Attachment 132645

Wow, so this thread blew up. I want my car to be dropped just like this one. You said you used the SR ones from American Muscle? If so that is the look I am going for.

Did you use just the springs or did you buy the other stuff people have mentioned in this thread.
Bill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
BBK springs, Tokico Illumina shocks/stuts, Max Motorsports CC plates, Steeda LCAs, stock UCAs. Rides great, just stiffer like any lowered car is going to be. If you are expecting a stock cushy ride you will be disappointed.
That looks so good !!!!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I bought just the springs, the shocks/struts had just been replaced by the previous owner, so I'm gonna wait on those. But yes it is just sr springs, and I was good with using bolts instead of plates for alignment.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36 View Post
Wow, so this thread blew up. I want my car to be dropped just like this one. You said you used the SR ones from American Muscle? If so that is the look I am going for. Did you use just the springs or did you buy the other stuff people have mentioned in this thread.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3952859976.png
Views:	3264
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	132808

This is what mine looks like after the H&R. Dropped it quite a bit, definitely gets rid of the 4x4 stance. On a sn95 I needed more of a drop than 1.5 to get the look I wanted, that's why went with the super sports. On a new edge 1.5 should be plenty.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
This is what mine looks like after the H&R. Dropped it quite a bit, definitely gets rid of the 4x4 stance. On a sn95 I needed more of a drop than 1.5 to get the look I wanted, that's why went with the super sports. On a new edge 1.5 should be plenty.
looks awesome man! Perfect drop
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
looks awesome man! Perfect drop
Thanks. Looks like the SR's worked really well for you!! Looks great! I was thinking about getting those since I haven't heard one bad thing about them and people that use them seem pretty happy.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like the SR's worked really well for you!! Looks great! I was thinking about getting those since I haven't heard one bad thing about them and people that use them seem pretty happy.
thanks, and yeah I have nothing to complain about! I'm kind of itching to put in some higher quality struts/shocks but mine were replaced with cheaper ones right before I bought it so I'll have to let these ride for a little time! But overall the ride and look is just what I was aiming for
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks, and yeah I have nothing to complain about! I'm kind of itching to put in some higher quality struts/shocks but mine were replaced with cheaper ones right before I bought it so I'll have to let these ride for a little time! But overall the ride and look is just what I was aiming for
Yeah may as well get some life out of the ones that are already installed before you go with new ones.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, OK thanks guys. I really appreciate all the responses. I have my mind made up. I will be purchasing the SR's on payday. Can't wait!!
Bill36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
A pic of my car with H&R race springs for reference. 1.25" drop in front and 1" in back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2299538871.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	636.0 KB
ID:	132967  
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
A pic of my car with H&R race springs for reference. 1.25" drop in front and 1" in back.
Looks great! That is definitely enough drop for a new edge. Perfect and no worries of bottoming out. Love the "wingless" look also, sweetsexynessgoddestang.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
All Bullitts are wingless but agreed the New Edge looks best without one. Unless you are a Termi with a Termi wing anyway. The 99 Cobra wing is ok as well.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All Bullitts are wingless but agreed the New Edge looks best without one. Unless you are a Termi with a Termi wing anyway. The 99 Cobra wing is ok as well.
I didn't even pay attention it was a Bullit, lol. Too caught up in its beautiful behind, ah em. I need some sleep.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Looks great! That is definitely enough drop for a new edge. Perfect and no worries of bottoming out. Love the "wingless" look also, sweetsexynessgoddestang.
Thanks! Next to some real low mustangs my car looks like its stock ride height, but on its own I think it's just right. I love a wingless new edge myself.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Agreed, I prefer new edge mustangs without wings also. I may be a little biased though
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

After a couple months of gathering parts I just lowered my 96 Cobra this week. I wanted quality parts but needed to work within a budget.

I bought used in excellent condition H&R Sportline springs. Advertised at 1.5" drop. paid $165 from a forum member.

Then it took the longest to get the shocks & struts I wanted at the right price & condition. At a swap meet I got a pair of Bilstein HD Shocks with 5k miles on them for $80. Then it took 2 months to snag a set of Bilstein HD struts with low miles. Found a set with 6k miles in great shape off a Terminator that converted to coil overs. Paid $175 shipped off a forum member. Were missing the boots so I bought a pair of new boots $9.95 each and new urethane isolators for $18 rear and $26 front from Maximum Motorsports. Bought a pair of used great condition Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates for $135 from a forum member. Finally after asking for advice on several forums I bought Golden West Suspensions full length Sub Frame Connectors. I bought from them, who I never heard of before because every other brand for the 95-98 Cobras requires a trans mount be modified for the SFC's to fit. I want my car to be able to go back to stock if me or the next owner wants that. I have every factory part removed from the car bagged and in storage. I'll do nothing that can't be easily reversed.

Anyway, I've had 3 back surgeries and 1 failed neck surgery so I couldn't do the work. My brother in law was laid off and he was going to do it. Would have worked out great. He's good and needed the money. But by the time I got the parts he got a new job. So I found a very good Mustang enthusiast and mechanic who also needed some extra money. His wife was supposed to be paying the bills and wasn't so they ended up in deep debt. He did the work on his time in his garage. He did the springs and shocks for $150, $25 for the CC Plates, and $75 to weld in the SFC's. He did a great job in 2 nights time. He also took me home when I dropped the car off and picked me up to go bring it home, a 1/2 hour each way. Had he not been so into mustangs I would have been nervous about leaving car there for 2 nights. Our Cobra was very well maintained by first owner and we did the same. No rain, snow, or Walmart parking lots, lol.

It feels so great. More like a sports car than a muscle car. I made an appointment to have it aligned next week. It already tracks better than before and is stiff but not rough. I'm glad I went with the isolators. It's quiet. My only concern is the aftermarket Flowmaster exhaust with OR X pipe hangs a bit low now. I'm going to find a quality exhaust shop and see if they can tuck it up tighter against the chassis.

Btw. The installer told me he had installed several other brand of SFC's and he really liked the Golden West Suspension ones. He said the round tubing and supplied plates made it easier to weld.

Also my regular garage quoted me $400 just to install the lowering springs. So I feel I got a fair price and quality work.

I just read on another thread that if I don't put an adjustable pan bar on I'll damage my driveshaft. While I want a pan bar for maximum handling, that's the first I ever heard that.

If you put on all the pieces that some people say you need to lower a car it would cost $1500 in parts alone. Eibach would never sell any springs or lowering kits. It just never ends. Then some others use a hack saw or torch and some electrical tape and claim its great. That's called Hot Rodding.

So far I'm very pleased. I can't wait to get it aligned and then hit some twisty roads. My wife didn't want me to lower the car saying it would make it hard to get in and out. We had a lot going on so I don't even thinks she knows its been lowered. I'm not going to say anything and see if she notices.

Name:	image-2489603816.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	695.1 KB
ID:	133923
Before

Name:	image-2859370534.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	133926
Front gap before. Funky ruler not for sale!

Name:	image-1290765329.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	133927
Rear gap before

Name:	image-892255800.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	678.9 KB
ID:	133929
After

Haven't measured the actual drop yet. I will do and post results. Also will show the picture of the SFC's.

Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

The ruler pics are hard to see. Before the drop the gap from fender edge to top of tire was approximately 3.5-4". I'll measure the new gap and post it. I had a lot going on and I was so happy driving it, I just forgot to measure it.

I'm going on a Mustang Club cruise through several covered bridges this weekend. I'm told lowered cars will scrape bottom because of the steep approach. I'm sure I will.

I saw a few stangs at shows this summer that were not running air bags and were about 2" off the ground. That doesn't work on public roads. In fact one of the guys had a beautiful black newer Mustang with splitters front side and rear. On the way to the show he caught a pot hole and took a 2-3" chunk out of his side splitter. I'd have been pissed. But you can't run like that on PA roads.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
**** I just got a set of mach springs and cut them. Bought new shocks and isolators and got a alignment. Looks and rides awesome.
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
The ruler pics are hard to see. Before the drop the gap from fender edge to top of tire was approximately 3.5-4". I'll measure the new gap and post it. I had a lot going on and I was so happy driving it, I just forgot to measure it. I'm going on a Mustang Club cruise through several covered bridges this weekend. I'm told lowered cars will scrape bottom because of the steep approach. I'm sure I will. I saw a few stangs at shows this summer that were not running air bags and were about 2" off the ground. That doesn't work on public roads. In fact one of the guys had a beautiful black newer Mustang with splitters front side and rear. On the way to the show he caught a pot hole and took a 2-3" chunk out of his side splitter. I'd have been pissed. But you can't run like that on PA roads.
Looks good!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I bought the eibach sport-line dropped my car 2 inches all around I love it
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I measured them tonight, exactly 1.5" drop front & back. I was on a cruise today on back country roads through covered bridges. My exhaust scraped 2x on the covered bridge approaches. Not too bad. I was a bit surprised to hear my front tires rub on very tight turns in a parking lot. Tire size is I think 245/45's on 17x9 FRP Cobra R wheels.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I measured them tonight, exactly 1.5" drop front & back. I was on a cruise today on back country roads through covered bridges. My exhaust scraped 2x on the covered bridge approaches. Not too bad. I was a bit surprised to hear my front tires rub on very tight turns in a parking lot. Tire size is I think 245/45's on 17x9 FRP Cobra R wheels.
I've never had any rubbing issues with my drop and I'm a little more than that.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've never had any rubbing issues with my drop and I'm a little more than that.

Maybe it's the offset of your wheels? Mine definitely rubbed on the first real tight turn I made. Have you modified your fender lip? I'll have to turn mine while parked and see what's hitting. I think mine rubbed sometimes b4 I lowered it.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe it's the offset of your wheels? Mine definitely rubbed on the first real tight turn I made. Have you modified your fender lip? I'll have to turn mine while parked and see what's hitting. I think mine rubbed sometimes b4 I lowered it.
No I haven't done anything with the fender wells. My front wheels are the standard offset 9" wide for 96-98 or even up to 04 I can't remember if they are the same. Ill check and see which ones they are cause that could be the difference. Are cobras a little lower anyway than a GT? Or maybe the little extra engine weight? Shot in the dark.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
No I haven't done anything with the fender wells. My front wheels are the standard offset 9" wide for 96-98 or even up to 04 I can't remember if they are the same. Ill check and see which ones they are cause that could be the difference. Are cobras a little lower anyway than a GT? Or maybe the little extra engine weight? Shot in the dark.
I have 275/40's up front with Eibach sport line springs and have never had an issue with rubbing.

Assuming your rim is a standard offset, what series/size tire are you running?
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post

I have 275/40's up front with Eibach sport line springs and have never had an issue with rubbing.

Assuming your rim is a standard offset, what series/size tire are you running?
They are 275/40 ZR-17's on 17x9 FRP Cobra wheels. The tires are unidirectional Firestones.

The Springs are H&R Sport Springs with a 1.5" average drop.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
They are 275/40 ZR-17's on 17x9 FRP Cobra wheels. The tires are unidirectional Firestones. The Springs are H&R Sport Springs with a 1.5" average drop.
Odd that you are having a problem. I never have.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT