bad gasoline? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
bad gasoline?

Hey so I have an issue with the 98 gt, so yesterday my wifes car wont start so I had to pick her up which was about a 40 min drive and the only thing I did was put gas in it at my work. The car ran fine going to work and ran fine going out there but when the tow truck left with her car and we went to leave the mustang wouldnt start. It kept cranking and cranking, it would eventually start, run for about 3 seconds and die despite giving it some gas. Well I had finally got it started but it would only idle at 500 and it ran rough. The really weird part is my wifes car (98 taurus) was doing the EXACT same thing but at the time I figured it was a fuel pump. How do 2 cars suddenly have the exact same problem on the same day? The only thing I can think of is we both got gas at the same company (different locations)...can bad gas really make your car run so crappy it wont even start though? Someone said maybe a punk *** kid put sugar in the tanks but both cars ran perfectly all day until they were driven a little further...sorry for writing a novel on this but any help would be appreciated
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

To me the problem itself sounds like its vapor locking cause later on that night the mustang fired up and ran fine...
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Change your filter and see if it has debris in it...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Planning on it. Its hard to the one on the mustang
Old 10-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Several years ago, the truck stop where I buy fuel had a "small" mishap.
The fuel delivery driver accidentally filled the regular gasoline tank with diesel.
Now, this is a VERY busy gas station. Usually, the cheapest prices in town.
About two blocks away, in All directions, the broken down cars and trucks started stacking up. I think that it was around 40 vehicles that were disabled by this "strange brew" in their gas tanks before they figured it out and shut the operation down.
People were FURIOUS...

When you change your filter, drain it from the inlet side into a clear glass jar and see if there is any water or other contaminates in the fuel.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Several years ago, the truck stop where I buy fuel had a "small" mishap.
The fuel delivery driver accidentally filled the regular gasoline tank with diesel.
Now, this is a VERY busy gas station. Usually, the cheapest prices in town.
About two blocks away, in All directions, the broken down cars and trucks started stacking up. I think that it was around 40 vehicles that were disabled by this "strange brew" in their gas tanks before they figured it out and shut the operation down.
People were FURIOUS...

When you change your filter, drain it from the inlet side into a clear glass jar and see if there is any water or other contaminates in the fuel.
Eff that... I hope that station had enough insurance or whatever to pay for all those blown motors/fuel systems. Perfect excuse to put a built motor in your stang though. I always save my fuel receipts from each fill up and toss them when I get new gas. We have a rash of stations around here that will put 87 in all their tanks and charge the 89/93 prices. This is why I always fill my Mustang up on base unless I can't help it. The base at least tests each batch of fuel or at least they are SUPPOSED to.

Just a risk you run unless you have a diesel and are making your own brew out of french fry oil.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Eff that... I hope that station had enough insurance or whatever to pay for all those blown motors/fuel systems. Perfect excuse to put a built motor in your stang though. I always save my fuel receipts from each fill up and toss them when I get new gas. We have a rash of stations around here that will put 87 in all their tanks and charge the 89/93 prices. This is why I always fill my Mustang up on base unless I can't help it. The base at least tests each batch of fuel or at least they are SUPPOSED to.

Just a risk you run unless you have a diesel and are making your own brew out of french fry oil.
Worse yet, I have seen the exact same thing happen with aviation fuel.
Chevron inadvertently mixed some Jet A into 100 ll. If I remember correctly, no one was killed but it definitely caused some aircraft issues.
They had to buy, literally, hundreds of new engines for every plane that received even a drop of that fuel.
I believe that it was around $20, 000. average per engine at that time.

I was a recipient of some of that fuel...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
Change your filter and see if it has debris in it...
+1000
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Worse yet, I have seen the exact same thing happen with aviation fuel.
Chevron inadvertently mixed some Jet A into 100 ll. If I remember correctly, no one was killed but it definitely caused some aircraft issues.
They had to buy, literally, hundreds of new engines for every plane that received even a drop of that fuel.
I believe that it was around $20, 000. average per engine at that time.

I was a recipient of some of that fuel...
Good thing our C-17s run on Jet A just as well as they run on JP-4/5/8 etc lol. Some of the fuel trucks that roll up out in the sandbox are SUPER sketch and the dudes driving them... I'm positive I've met at least a few who had to be working for Al Qaeda.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I have a 98 GT and it took ten minutes to change the fuel filter. Mine was right above the rear axel, don't see why yours would be any different.
Grrrr.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Good thing our C-17s run on Jet A just as well as they run on JP-4/5/8 etc lol. Some of the fuel trucks that roll up out in the sandbox are SUPER sketch and the dudes driving them... I'm positive I've met at least a few who had to be working for Al Qaeda.
Absolutely.... Especially since most my deployments land me literally On the countries airport so you see them all the time. Sketchy stuff.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

For the last year an a half I was a flying crew chief which means I flew with the jets/aircrew everywhere they went. Went to some cool places, went to some SKETCH *** PLACES. Best two trips were 4 days in Berlin and 3 days in Tel Aviv.

Never did make it to the "far east" for some odd reason. One of my buddies got Thailand for a week and got to feed a Tiger cub out of a bottle, literally. *******... I'd probably have gotten into way too much trouble in Thailand though lol.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I work with FCCs all the time man. I'm a jet troop. Lol i work on those million dollar things hanging off the jets. Haha. Not gonna lie- most CCs are dumber than a box of rocks. FCCs are Wayy better. I'm trying to be FCC qualified right now actually. Thats awesome man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT