Need Help Diagnosing Steering Issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Need Help Diagnosing Steering Issues

So my 98 GT is having some serious steering issues right now. It makes me not even want to drive it because I almost dont feel safe.

The car likes to drift/wander on the road by itself...if I go over some ridges or bumps in the road, the whole car will wander around without any input from me.

Then there's the allignment, which I know is off. I have to hold the wheel to the left, and if I am on a straight flat road the car will pull to the right.

I jacked the car up and wiggled the wheel back and forth and it did make a click or chunk noise when I would change directions (ie, I am turning the wheel left, when I switch and turn it right it makes a short *chunk* noise)

I checked the rack and it looks like I need new rack bushings, but other than that it looks like it is okay notthing looks loose.

So I was going to get new bushings, and obviously I need an allignment. Im tight on money right now so I am wondering if there's anything else to look at before I go ahead with the bushings and allignment.

Also of note, I just replaced both balljoints, and also last winter I did hit a curb with the front right wheel.

Thanks,
DMD

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Double check tie rod ends as well as wheel bearings
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You need to have everything fixed before it is aligned or you're just wasting your money.
One thing that gets overlooked is the strut bushings. They can really throw your alignment off and make the car drive like crap.
Check everything!
Also, when you go to have it aligned, put your best tires on the front. Brand new tires are the best, but don't use unevenly worn tires.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I'm in the same boat, my car likes to drift off and do its own thing sometimes. Almost feels like the suspension is just worn out. And I hear a clunk when I hit a bump or stop too hard. I would like to know exactly what causes the car to sway while driving between the lines. Let me know if you pinpoint the problem.
Grrrr.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManDann View Post
So my 98 GT is having some serious steering issues right now. It makes me not even want to drive it because I almost dont feel safe. The car likes to drift/wander on the road by itself...if I go over some ridges or bumps in the road, the whole car will wander around without any input from me. Then there's the allignment, which I know is off. I have to hold the wheel to the left, and if I am on a straight flat road the car will pull to the right. I jacked the car up and wiggled the wheel back and forth and it did make a click or chunk noise when I would change directions (ie, I am turning the wheel left, when I switch and turn it right it makes a short *chunk* noise) I checked the rack and it looks like I need new rack bushings, but other than that it looks like it is okay notthing looks loose. So I was going to get new bushings, and obviously I need an allignment. Im tight on money right now so I am wondering if there's anything else to look at before I go ahead with the bushings and allignment. Also of note, I just replaced both balljoints, and also last winter I did hit a curb with the front right wheel. Thanks, DMD
It's your toe it's off , go get a alignment ,

If anything rotate your tires first maybe it's radial pull..
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If your feeling a clunk when you wiggled the wheel their is a problem....a few possiblities like inner n outer tie rods,,,,ball joints,,,control arm bushings,,,wheel bearings,,,bent control arm,etc...its easy to diagnose if you have a buddy to wiggle wheel back n forth and up n down so you can lay under there and see what's going on....and spin wheel to hear if a bad wheel bearing also...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
If your feeling a clunk when you wiggled the wheel their is a problem....a few possiblities like inner n outer tie rods,,,,ball joints,,,control arm bushings,,,wheel bearings,,,bent control arm,etc...its easy to diagnose if you have a buddy to wiggle wheel back n forth and up n down so you can lay under there and see what's going on....and spin wheel to hear if a bad wheel bearing also...
I don't think my wheel bearings has ever been replaced and the body of my car has 150k so that's worth checking out.

I just did tie rod ends and ballpoints so I doubt that's what it is

Is it possible that there is something totally wrong with that rack itself? That I could fix by replacing the rack? I had my dad wiggle the steering wheel and the clunk noise came from the rack/shaft area not a particular side.

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It's probably the bushings. The ones on my car are bad as well. Particularly, the one on the drivers side which gets soaked with oil every time that the filter gets changed.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's probably the bushings. The ones on my car are bad as well. Particularly, the one on the drivers side which gets soaked with oil every time that the filter gets changed.
The steering rack bushings? Mine looked really bad so I'm hoping that's what it is.

Probably going to put in a Maximum Motorsports steering shaft while I'm messing around with the steering too

Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManDann View Post
The steering rack bushings? Mine looked really bad so I'm hoping that's what it is.

Probably going to put in a Maximum Motorsports steering shaft while I'm messing around with the steering too
Yes
Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Inner tie rods or rack bushings...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Weird Ding.. | Cams »