Tomorrows the day! Hopefully... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Tomorrows the day! Hopefully...

Dropping the engine in tomorrow! If i can get some help with the install, everything will be a piece of cake and go quick! May even try to turn it over tomorrow afternoon! As long as i can remember what bolts go where... Haha! Wish me luck! The cars been sitting for a year and a half so I'll be So happy if it starts up perfect.
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is so cool!

Take your time and get it right the first time...

Good luck with the install!!!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ooof, been there, done that. Make sure you've got fresh gas in the tank, fresh filter and take a good long look at your injectors.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ooof, been there, done that. Make sure you've got fresh gas in the tank, fresh filter and take a good long look at your injectors.
+1

Roxanne- 1998 Mustang GT Convertible: 5-Speed, 2001 PI 2V swap, o/r h-pipe, Magnaflow catback, MGW shifter,
3.73 gears, Auburn LSD, TA diff cover, MM FLSFCs, Ford Strut Tower Brace, J&M SS Brake Lines, and a lot of visual/restoration work.
DutchManDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
todays yesterdays tomorrow... howd it go
Mustangman705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry guys. I spent 2 hours trying to get the pilot bearings out and couldn't do it. I'm replacing the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and clutch, so i needed to pull the bearing out before droppin in the engine. Well, the shop here on base doesn't exactly replace they're tools when they're kind of worn down, so i had about 4 different kinds of pilot bearing pullers that would not work. They were shredding the metal into chunks! I tried the hydraulic method as well but that just got it messy! I might need some help guys... This problem is stopping everything right now!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
Sorry guys. I spent 2 hours trying to get the pilot bearings out and couldn't do it. I'm replacing the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and clutch, so i needed to pull the bearing out before droppin in the engine. Well, the shop here on base doesn't exactly replace they're tools when they're kind of worn down, so i had about 4 different kinds of pilot bearing pullers that would not work. They were shredding the metal into chunks! I tried the hydraulic method as well but that just got it messy! I might need some help guys... This problem is stopping everything right now!
well damn! that sux
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it does! If i can get that off and put the new one on, then i can drop in the engine and get her started!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just keep pulling out chunks at this point. It'll eventually all come out. Had the same slide hammer/puller experience you are having now at Dover AFB. One I broke the bearing and chunks started coming out I just used 2 or 3 different slide hammers to rip the rest of it the hell out. That was my first experience with a pilot bearing over 10 years ago btw lol. McGuire's tools are worse and I refuse to patronize their hobby "shop" after that yahoo pretending to work there nicked up the brand new wheels I was putting on my DD 3 years ago.

I can jack my car up 2 feet in the air and put fatass jackstands under the subframes and work on my back before I drive an hour to use a crappy shop with old *** lifts and some dude blasting the worst country music possible on the lift next to me and acts like I shot his dog when I tell him to turn it the ufck down.

At any rate, you'll get there, triple the time you think it'll take you to do this and that's about how long it'll take lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Just keep pulling out chunks at this point. It'll eventually all come out. Had the same slide hammer/puller experience you are having now at Dover AFB. One I broke the bearing and chunks started coming out I just used 2 or 3 different slide hammers to rip the rest of it the hell out. That was my first experience with a pilot bearing over 10 years ago btw lol. McGuire's tools are worse and I refuse to patronize their hobby "shop" after that yahoo pretending to work there nicked up the brand new wheels I was putting on my DD 3 years ago.

I can jack my car up 2 feet in the air and put fatass jackstands under the subframes and work on my back before I drive an hour to use a crappy shop with old *** lifts and some dude blasting the worst country music possible on the lift next to me and acts like I shot his dog when I tell him to turn it the ufck down.

At any rate, you'll get there, triple the time you think it'll take you to do this and that's about how long it'll take lol.
I sense a recurring theme in worn out tools at base hobby shops! Slide hammer was jacked at the one here too, plus they don't have a single universal joint that isn't held together by electrical tape...I normally bring my own.

Biggest benefit I see in them are the lifts(the ones here are fairly new) and they do have a fair assortment of specialty tools, plus a huge bennie air tools
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

One of my requirements for my next house is a large, preferably detached garage that I will have plenty of room to buy my own lift and a bigass compressor and an assortment of air tools.

I will not use the base hobby shop for anything mainly because they suck but also because you are time limited and if you need something you are SOL. If I'm at home and I hit a point where I don't have a tool or am just fed up with it I can stop, have a few beers and whatever and come back to it later or the next day.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help guys! Yea the hobby shop at Fairchild AFB isn't exactly bad... But when it comes to specialty tools, they never throw anything away. Which means the bearing pullers teeth just slide right out after being tightened As much as i can. But they do have all the tools i need for almost everything. Sand blaster, welding, tires, balancing, resurfacing, all of it will help eventually!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
One of my requirements for my next house is a large, preferably detached garage that I will have plenty of room to buy my own lift and a bigass compressor and an assortment of air tools.
This^^

I retire from the Marines in the next 2 years. Wherever we settle down, I will have a huge garage and a lift will be installed!
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT