Question about a new drive shaft. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Question about a new drive shaft.

Hey guys,

I am using my GT as a daily driver and putting about 125 miles on it a day. I have a long list of what I want to do to it but since I am using it all through the winter I am planning on just doing most of them next year in the spring. I am however thinking about putting a new drive shaft on it to make the ride a little smoother and relaxing since I spend over 2 hours a day in it.

Do you guys think its worth it in my case?

If so do you guys recommend the ford racing aluminum drive shaft from AM?

Thanks

Or would just getting it balanced make it just as smooth. I am not looking for performance just a more quality ride.
Thenervemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenervemann View Post
Hey guys,

I am using my GT as a daily driver and putting about 125 miles on it a day. I have a long list of what I want to do to it but since I am using it all through the winter I am planning on just doing most of them next year in the spring. I am however thinking about putting a new drive shaft on it to make the ride a little smoother and relaxing since I spend over 2 hours a day in it.

Do you guys think its worth it in my case?

If so do you guys recommend the ford racing aluminum drive shaft from AM?

Thanks

Or would just getting it balanced make it just as smooth. I am not looking for performance just a more quality ride.
I put one on my stang, cut down on the noise and weight was a big diff imo, I recommend it!!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ok good. Ha, i get a lot of vibration when getting onto the highway and rev past 3k. Its kind of annoying at 5:30 a.m.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Might not be your DS. My stocker in my Cobra was nice and smooth. You could always pull it off and take it to be re-balanced for $40 if you don't feel like spending the money on an aluminum one.

How old are your tires, did any of the weights on your rims fly off? Did you check your U joints and wheel bearings?

All wheel bearings should be done at 100k, U joints checked and all your bushings should be replaced with new OEM rubber or Delrin ones. A arm bushings go out in these cars fairly early and your steering wheel will shake slightly over 50-60mph. The more worn out they get the harder she'll shake.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about trying that first. Right now when i drive at a constant speed i am noticing a good amount of road noise and vibrations (55mph+). I need to get the wheels balanced i believe. and the drive shaft i think is just making it worse. Maybe ill just do the wheels and drive shaft and go from there. The tires look great and it drives perfectly straight when i let go of the steering wheel so i dont know what else it could be.

Ill also keep those other possibilities in mind. it has about 55k miles on it now.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Get the tires rotated/balanced and the aluminum driveshaft is a very nice piece, just really expensive these days.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you, I will be getting them rotated/ balanced tomorrow while I am at work. I will follow up and let you know.

Just one other question real fast.

I hear a lot of road noise from the back right tire. I dont see any ware on it or anything wrong with the rim. I also didnt see a wheel weight, or signs that one may have been there. You have any idea what else could be causing that noise in the back?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Aluminum drive shafts are more for people that race and have loads of HP. It's not going to cut down on vibration, your currant shaft is balanced, and rarely become unbalanced. I would start by checking all the stuff other people here have commented about. U-joints, bearings, tire balance, alignment, shocks/struts. $500-600 can be spent other places to help performance. Aluminum driveshafts are usually one of the last things people do to their cars.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not back when they were $160 they weren't lol.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

well i notice a clack sometimes when i shift so i wonder if its the u joint. ill check that tonight when i change the oil. any specific way to check if there is play? or if its bad?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Not back when they were $160 they weren't lol.
Agree with you there. For $160 I would have done it sooner.

Unfortunately now....
http://www.americanmuscle.com/alumin...ft-9604gt.html
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
Agree with you there. For $160 I would have done it sooner.

Unfortunately now....
Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft - 31 Spline (96-04 GT, Mach 1; 96-98 Cobra) - Free Shipping MAMT4966-5
dang, yalls is 150$ more than I gave for mine!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
well i notice a clack sometimes when i shift so i wonder if its the u joint. ill check that tonight when i change the oil. any specific way to check if there is play? or if its bad?
Grab the drive shaft and wiggle it around, you'll be able to feel the play if there is any.

I had the same issue with my car. I would have sworn that there was a drive line vibration.
It was the tires out of balance...
When they balance your tires, ALWAYS have them put the weights on the inside AND outside of the rim if necessary.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Grab the drive shaft and wiggle it around, you'll be able to feel the play if there is any.

I had the same issue with my car. I would have sworn that there was a drive line vibration.
It was the tires out of balance...
When they balance your tires, ALWAYS have them put the weights on the inside AND outside of the rim if necessary.

Im hoping that these guys do it right. ive known them for awhile and they only do tires. thats it no inspection or nothing else ha.

also i can tell one of my bearings are going out. Whats more common back or front one? I cant tell if its coming front or back haha.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Im hoping that these guys do it right. ive known them for awhile and they only do tires. thats it no inspection or nothing else ha.

also i can tell one of my bearings are going out. Whats more common back or front one? I cant tell if its coming front or back haha.
It could be either one.
I think that the front would be more likely associated with a vibration though.
The rear axle bearings will get VERY noisy when they go out.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It could be either one.
I think that the front would be more likely associated with a vibration though.
The rear axle bearings will get VERY noisy when they go out.
Ok. Well i just finished the first oil change ive had to do on it. and looked at the front bearings, zero play. However both back had some play.

Tomorrow when the wheels get balanced i will ask them just to check the rear bearings real fast (since it makes that noise when a bearing goes out and when i turn right it goes away). and we will go from there.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys. got a call. they said the bearings were all good. but the front right wheel was a bit cupped and another wheel was a little out of balance. Gonna get it back tonight and see how it goes!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT