Cat deletes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cat deletes?

Was wondering if it would be worth it to delete my cats from my 03 gt my exhaust set up is just a cat back manga flow exhaust . What will happen if I just delete my cats ? Hp gains? Good bad?
03gteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You'll get louder, you'll throw a check engine light and you'll pick up some power just from the restrictive cats being gone. You can buy MIL eliminators to get rid of the CEL. Just buy an offroad mid pipe and swap the pipe. Keep the stocker hung up on a wall in the garage for emissions day. I did the "mid-pipe shuffle" every 2 years back when I had my 95 Cobra in NJ and never had a single issue.

You can also just buy a high flow catted mid pipe and you'll pick up the same amount of power, stay emissions legal and not worry about the MIL. Won't be as loud but louder does not equal better.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
While you may not have state inspections, its against Federal law to remove them and operate the car on public roads. Folks do it though, and don't worry about getting caught. Its when you go to trade or sell the car....make sure you keep the cats and re-install when you do sell. Both a private buyer and a dealership can come after you. A dealer will not want it as a trade, because they cannot sell it without its Federally required equipment. A private sale will not hold up in court either, even if you sell it "as is".
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You'll get louder, you'll throw a check engine light and you'll pick up some power just from the restrictive cats being gone. You can buy MIL eliminators to get rid of the CEL. Just buy an offroad mid pipe and swap the pipe. Keep the stocker hung up on a wall in the garage for emissions day. I did the "mid-pipe shuffle" every 2 years back when I had my 95 Cobra in NJ and never had a single issue.
I've heard this Alot but does getting a diff mid pipe increase more than just the car delete or no?
03gteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I removed my cats and just the sound would be worth it. Mine is two and a half inch with flowmaster 40s and turn downs with a o/r h pipe.
Seegin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gteddy View Post
I've heard this Alot but does getting a diff mid pipe increase more than just the car delete or no?
By the time you pay to have the stainless stock mid-pipe welded up (and you will have to take the pipe off anyway as a shop will not remove cats and let you drive off) you can buy a good O/R midpipe and install it yourself in about an hour in the driveway. Much faster after you break the hardware free after the initial swap.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Was wondering if it would be worth it to delete my cats from my 03 gt my exhaust set up is just a cat back manga flow exhaust . What will happen if I just delete my cats ? Hp gains? Good bad?
1hp and a check engine light is what you'll get
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I did this on a previous car. Found a local muffler shop that would do the job as long as I was willing to not get a receipt from them (no records I guess) cost me about 100 bucks, they cut them off and welded in pipe in place (aluminum if I remember right). CEL lights came on, didn't notice any gains of course, but got exactly what I wanted, which was the "loudness" of removing cats. If that's what you want then go for it or find a shop willing to do it as that was the easiest way for me and the cheapest at the time. An o/r mid pipe would be ideal, cost more of course but this will do the trick also.
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
1hp and a check engine light is what you'll get
No, not when dealing with the stock cats. For aftermarket cats, yeah a free flowing set of cats will eat up all of about 1hp until you get up into the much higher levels. I'm talking like 600+ and even then.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
When we bought our 96 Cobra it had an OR H pipe and was programmed to not have the cel come on. It's also inspected as emissions exempt. We can only drive 5000 miles a year. It has Flowmaster exhaust and without the cats sounds sweet. Everyone loves the low end gurgle of our car. During a sale I bought a set of Hi flow cats from AM. How much would it effect the sound to put them on?

Btw, we have the complete original Ford exhaust including all the cats.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

It'll get noticeably quieter but not too quiet if you have flows. Mine has cats and I think its a very nice sound. Throaty, rumbly but not overly obnoxious like so many ppl seem to like. I had an OR pipe with dumped 2 chamber flows on my old 91 and holy hell my ears would ring after any drive of more than 15 minutes. Had to turn the stereo up all the way up to hear it on the highway because of all the drone. Made my miss the warnings on my radar detector more than once... also when your ears are ringing after you get out of your car its time to maybe re-think what you've got going on lol.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I think my car only has flow masters welded in not a whole cat back. Would an OR H pipe match up or would I need to do the whole thing?
JCOB72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

It'd match up just fine.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If it's a stock midpipe then a new catback would work just fine.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

He's asking if he can put an O/R pipe to a stock catback with flows welded in. The OR pipe will be the same dimensionally as the stock pipe so yeah it will go right on in.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

On my 2000 Roush with side pipes w/no cats I gain (avg) 3+ mpg highway and a lot more noise, with the side pipes, stock h pipe with cats is average mpg.
Saberstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberstang View Post
On my 2000 Roush with side pipes w/no cats I gain (avg) 3+ mpg highway and a lot more noise, with the side pipes, stock h pipe with cats is average mpg.
With side pipes, which I love, where are the mufflers? Back in the 70's I had a 70 fastback that I hung chrome side pipes on, it was loud. I think there were like Thrush or Cherry Bomb glass packs in the side pipe. I always loved the black side pipes on the 427 Cobras and Stingray Corvettes.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Performance shops do it but they also charge more. Much easier to learn to DIY
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Performance shops do it but they also charge more. Much easier to learn to DIY
+1 saves moneys

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT