Small oil leak? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Small oil leak?

Roughly a month ago I got my car back from my mechanic who was fixing a pinion seal leak...upon getting it back I noticed he changed my oil, which I was actually unhappy about because I changed it 2 days prior to dropping it off and always use Mobil 1 5w30..well after checking under the car It looks like a bit of a mess by the drain bolt, so de greased the entire area, went to sleep, woke up and there were few drops pooled near the bolt again, this time I tightened the bolt and got about 1/4 of a turn in, de greased it all again, and boom again a few drops by my drain bolt the following morning. My guess tho is it's not the bolt it's leaking from above and dripping down over the bolt..My oil level has not seemed to drop 1 bit, so obviously it has to be a very small leak. Now I'm pretty sure my mechanic put in 5w20 as that's what the vehicle calls for but I have always used 5w30, could the change from 5w30 to 5w20 cause a small leak to show? If not are there any common areas our vehicles are known to leak oil I could check out myself? Money is a tight for me now as I just ordered new wheels and tires for 1200$, fixed a pinion seal leak, and fixed a gas tank grommet leak, so it looks like I'm about 3-4 weeks away from being able to even afford a mechanic so hopefully it's nothing major..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My bet is he stripped the drain plug. Easy fix go get a new one from autozone. You need to change the plug when the engine is cold so you don't melt your hand. If you choose to save as much oil as you can it will be messy. Or you could drain it all and put back in the 5w30. The drain plugs are a softer metal than the oil pan. This is done so the plug will loose its threads before the pan does. Or else every time some novice oil change person cranks too much on the plug it would damage the pan and thats a bigger headache.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
My bet is he stripped the drain plug. Easy fix go get a new one from autozone. You need to change the plug when the engine is cold so you don't melt your hand. If you choose to save as much oil as you can it will be messy. Or you could drain it all and put back in the 5w30. The drain plugs are a softer metal than the oil pan. This is done so the plug will loose its threads before the pan does. Or else every time some novice oil change person cranks too much on the plug it would damage the pan and thats a bigger headache.
Yea that's what I'm hoping! I mean it never had this problem before he changed my oil, I've always used 5w30 so was thinking maybe the switch to 5w20 would have caused a small leak but I just don't see it...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT