New DD! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
New DD!

Well guys I've finally scraped together enough cash that I get to park the mustang and start prepping for my complete rebuild. I picked this thing up for a steal. The guy got it on a trade and thought it was just a fancy Neon with a body kit. 2004 SRT4 Neon, 89000 miles, 3" catted down pipe, wastegate, HKS SS BOV, brand new turbo less than 6 months old, AEM intake, AEM Tru Boost gauge/electronic boost controller, runs 17psi and makes approximately 270 at the tires. It also has 1200 race seats, completely aftermarket sound system. I get 34mpg and insurance dropped $40/ month lol. Stock it books for 8200 I paid 4900 cash it's not another stang but this will save me money in the long run and make building my Mustang a lot easier since it won't be driven All the time. Here are some pics and a couple of my Mustang for those who haven't seen it since I haven't been on here as much lately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1404919191.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	134480   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1584517114.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	479.8 KB
ID:	134481  

Name:	image-3688152004.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	134483   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-772589384.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	496.0 KB
ID:	134484  

Name:	image-2390506884.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	612.1 KB
ID:	134485   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3423026624.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	134486  

Name:	image-3286137563.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	134487  
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Nice find! Great price too
3.73 Gears
XXR 521 Wheels
20x8.5 and 20x10.5
Count Dragula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Keep a spare set of engine mounts around. Notorious for tearing them up.

Otherwise they are fun little cars and well worth what you paid.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Nice .. Wish I could find deals like that.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Congrats. The srts are pretty sweet rides. I looked at one for a dd for a long time. Just make sure that third gear synchro is good and should be a pretty solid dd.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
its a skittle!!!!!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Nice find, as long as it was well taken care of. When the car released, SRT-4 owners were notorious even in the ricer community for being complete effing morons for the most part. Just make sure all the maintenance is done, motor mounts, trans shifts smooth and she should be good though. At 89k if it still runs great its probably been taken care of. Great fun little car and the price is great too.

With that said... I REALLY can't see this guy you got it from not knowing what it was or even just taking the 5 minutes to look up the KBB value which would lead me to be very suspicious of why he is letting it go so cheap. When its too good to be true it usually is but I really hope it is the case where someone just didn't know what they had.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
its a skittle!!!!!
Lol forgot that was their name.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It has aftermarket pro thane motor mounts, the first thing I did when I got home was dropped the tranny and it has new shift forks, bushings, clutch and the 3rd hear extender already done. It runs and drives like a dream. I've changed the oil and plugs and had it on a rack and everything is clean. The interior looks like brand new and these aftermarket seats are bad ***. I always am skeptical when it's too good to be true but I believe this one was a steal. When I got there it was easy to tell the guy was a complete moron. He got it on a trade and just listed it to make some cash to pay a few bills off. He was asking all kinds of questions and it was obvious he seriously had no idea what he had. I found it in a local ad paper. He got it and listed it the same day and i called him and put my name on it the very next morning. The guy lived in BFE and had no computer or internet so he couldn't have done the KBB. Stuff like this NEVER happens for me so I am super pumped! I used to make fun of these but for a little 4 banger I'm really impressed with how it runs and drives
Old 10-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Awesome!

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Well guys I've finally scraped together enough cash that I get to park the mustang and start prepping for my complete rebuild. I picked this thing up for a steal. The guy got it on a trade and thought it was just a fancy Neon with a body kit. 2004 SRT4 Neon, 89000 miles, 3" catted down pipe, wastegate, HKS SS BOV, brand new turbo less than 6 months old, AEM intake, AEM Tru Boost gauge/electronic boost controller, runs 17psi and makes approximately 270 at the tires. It also has 1200 race seats, completely aftermarket sound system. I get 34mpg and insurance dropped $40/ month lol. Stock it books for 8200 I paid 4900 cash it's not another stang but this will save me money in the long run and make building my Mustang a lot easier since it won't be driven All the time. Here are some pics and a couple of my Mustang for those who haven't seen it since I haven't been on here as much lately.
I had a new SRT 4 back in the day. When it was advertised as the fastest production car under 20k or something like that. I love mine, great in gas, easy mods (had the stage 2 mopar kit), and could take many cars on the road from stop light to stop light (many mustangs included). Surprising fun car to drive and really moves well from 0-85 or so. I never has issues, owned it from 12 miles to 65k or 4 years and it was great the whole time. I've looked for a cheap one in the past couple years and people have beat on them, riced, them or want an arm and leg for good conditioned ones. Have one in my area pushing 380 whp, must have a tremendous amount of wheel hop, uses slicks on the strip. Looks like you got a great deal! Sold mine in 2 days on craigslist, to a guy who was getting rid of his mustang due to has prices and wanted something quick still. I think if maintained well their a nice car. Looks good man.
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
It has aftermarket pro thane motor mounts, the first thing I did when I got home was dropped the tranny and it has new shift forks, bushings, clutch and the 3rd hear extender already done. It runs and drives like a dream. I've changed the oil and plugs and had it on a rack and everything is clean. The interior looks like brand new and these aftermarket seats are bad ***. I always am skeptical when it's too good to be true but I believe this one was a steal. When I got there it was easy to tell the guy was a complete moron. He got it on a trade and just listed it to make some cash to pay a few bills off. He was asking all kinds of questions and it was obvious he seriously had no idea what he had. I found it in a local ad paper. He got it and listed it the same day and i called him and put my name on it the very next morning. The guy lived in BFE and had no computer or internet so he couldn't have done the KBB. Stuff like this NEVER happens for me so I am super pumped! I used to make fun of these but for a little 4 banger I'm really impressed with how it runs and drives
Looks like he thought it was some riced out Neon and he took YOU for a ride lol. Goddam for $4900... you could flip that and double up your money and then spend $3k on some sort of Civic or Accord beater that gets better mileage and will be more reliable. That would be my train of thought.

Because what is going to happen is you will be driving this thing every day and you'll start to think "well I can spare a few $hundred to do X or Y mod to my DD since I'm always in it and I'll get to the Mustang later". Happened to me... If you are in like a 2006 Accord 4 banger 5 spd you will not think that, you'll get better mileage and it'll last longer.

I mean really... that is low mileage, they book for $8200, you NEVER find them in that sort of shape AND the mods AND the trans fix... I bet you could get $9 or $10k to a SRT-4 guy...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Looks like he thought it was some riced out Neon and he took YOU for a ride lol. Goddam for $4900... you could flip that and double up your money and then spend $3k on some sort of Civic or Accord beater that gets better mileage and will be more reliable. That would be my train of thought. Because what is going to happen is you will be driving this thing every day and you'll start to think "well I can spare a few $hundred to do X or Y mod to my DD since I'm always in it and I'll get to the Mustang later". Happened to me... If you are in like a 2006 Accord 4 banger 5 spd you will not think that, you'll get better mileage and it'll last longer. I mean really... that is low mileage, they book for $8200, you NEVER find them in that sort of shape AND the mods AND the trans fix... I bet you could get $9 or $10k to a SRT-4 guy...
That was my train of thought as well! Flip it, double my money and get something cheap. But the more I drive it the more I fall in love with it. My mustang made 420 and was my DD for 2 years. It was a lot of fun but I don't want something that fast or flashy for a driver anymore. This is still a little quicker than what I had planned on getting but I'm loving it! 34mpg and if I want to I can still have a little bit of fun. I could make some cash on it but I'm starting to think that I got such a deal on it that I may never get this opportunity again. I'm going to keep it for a little while and see how things go. I definitely don't want to start throwing money at it because that would defeat my purpose of parking the Mustang and saving for it's build project. I like this but my Mustang is my baby and that is my ultimate goal. If I start getting that mod bug this thing definitely have to go on down the road.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I do have a question though since you guys seem to know a bit more about these than me. A local guy told me I need to let it run a couple minutes at idle before I drive and then again to cool down before I can turn it off. This just doesn't seem right to me?
Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Nice pick up Cody! But I have to scratch my head also because that's one hell of a deal, hope it works out for ya bro!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
Nice pick up Cody! But I have to scratch my head also because that's one hell of a deal, hope it works out for ya bro!
Thanks! And I know, when I test drove it I got away from the guys house and was trying to find something wrong. I've been around cars my whole life and working a body shop for a while and now I'm a parts manager at my local autozone so I've trained myself to find stuff and the harder I look the more I can't find anything. I've gone through it with a fine tooth comb and can't find anything myself. There is one local guy here that these are all he deals with and he is going to check it out this weekend but all the common problems have definitely been fixed and I can't seem to find anything. She runs smooth as a sewing machine and when I did the routine maintenance on it, whoever had the car before has definitely taken care of it. I am still pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming bc like I said this never happens to me
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I do have a question though since you guys seem to know a bit more about these than me. A local guy told me I need to let it run a couple minutes at idle before I drive and then again to cool down before I can turn it off. This just doesn't seem right to me?
as far as turning it off it is a good idea to give the turbo some time to cool down or keep the fan going on the engine to help cool it. They make turbo timers you can hook up to it that will run your electric engine cooling fan for a specified time after you shut it down. I had one on mine for most of the time I owned it. It was fairly easy to hook up and cost about 200 at the time if I remember right. It's supposed to increase the life of the turbo and to stop any performance loss over time. Mine was set for 5 min of fan run time if I drove for around an hour. It automatically runs for the right amount time to give it ample cooling depending on how long the engine was going or the temp of the turbo being a factor also. That's what my take on him saying that would be.
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes^
You want to make sure that the turbo gets warmed up before you drive it because the damn things get HOT!!! The tolerance of the bearings will change drastically when the turbo is at operating temp.
The cool down can be critical to turbocharger longevity. What happens is, when you shut the engine off, the flow of oil to the turbo stops. Again, these things get hot. It can boil the oil that is in the turbocharger and leave deposits on the bearings called "coke" or "coking" as it's referred to.
Probably the #1 cause of turbo failure. The bearing goes and then an impeller hits the housing.

A turbocharged car is the only street car that I have ever felt the need to run synthetic motor oil in...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yup let er warm up before you start driving. And same for cool down. Or just get a turbo timer that'll shut it off when it is cool for you.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Okay sounds like a turbo timer will be an investment in the near future. And all I use is Mobil1 extended performance. It's already been swapped to that and a Mobil1 filter
Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay sounds like a turbo timer will be an investment in the near future. And all I use is Mobil1 extended performance. It's already been swapped to that and a Mobil1 filter
See^
You're already modding it...

I'm with Scotty on this Cody.
Put it up for sale and try to make some cash, BUT, definitely drive the ball sacks off of it until you find a buyer.
You can thank us later...
Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha that's not "modding" that's making it safe lmao

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I'm just so torn! Lol I guess I will see how I feel in a few weeks
Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

With ANY turbo vehicle you should let it warm up until the engine gets to operating temperature before you get on it at all. When you shut it down, yeah if you don't have a turbo timer you should just sit in it and count to 120 and then turn it off. 2 minutes of idle/cooldown is the general rule, otherwise your oil lines will coke up. Coking is where the oil is too hot when it stops flowing and cooks in the lines. Do it enough and the line becomes clogged with that coked up oil and your turbo literally has a heart attack. Make sense?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that makes perfect sense. I've read enough to know not to get in the boost without it being at operating temps and if I get it in boost anytime close to where I'll be stopping to let it run for a minute or two. But this guy was saying I had to every time I drove it no matter the conditions or how I was driving. It just seemed a bit excessive to have to let it run like that to warm up, run to Go-Mart, and then get there and let it sit and run again before I could shut it off and go in
Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't worry about it after a trip to the store.
It's more like after you've driven it hard or after you've been on the freeway for two hours at 75mph and pop off on an exit and stop at a gas station. You don't need to be religious about it but its good practice with a turbo car.
They aren't as fragile as we may be leading you to believe. If they were it would drive the car manufacturers nuts during the warranty period...
Old 11-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys this all sounds much more reasonable. I really appreciate all your help! Going from a blown V8 to this is a huge difference. I have a lot to learn
Old 11-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Hahaha that's not "modding" that's making it safe lmao

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I'm just so torn! Lol I guess I will see how I feel in a few weeks
Keep it, selling it and buying a rice burner is blasphemy.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

I honestly am anal retentive enough to worry about it for a trip to the store. Its going to get to operating temp pretty quick, even after a 5 or 10 minute drive. I've always let stuff I've had with a turbo cool down even though the turbo I drove the most was a 7.3L Powerstroke and that thing was practically invincible.

I'm actually surprised this Neon did not come with a turbo timer already. And I would still consider selling it and picking up a $1500 beater. That'll instantly fund your Mustang and you'll get the same end result you were looking for. But whatever, if you do decide to keep it, that's a badass driver. If you do keep it I just expect to see a classifieds ad in 6 months to a year for your stang lol.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I've pretty much decided the SRT4 is staying. I'm loving this thing. But NO the Mustang isn't going anywhere! I did tell y'all but I got hit in a parking lot about 2 months ago and got a killer insurance check. I had a close family friend fix it for less than half the check and took the money and bought some new goodies. I have tubular kmember, a-arms, front and rear coil overs, front and rear sway bars, flaming river rack, offset rack bushings, bumpsteer kit, moog ball joints, Maximum Motorsports XL FLSFC, and a complete 31 spline rear end all in the basement at my parents house about 20 minutes from here. I will be parking it in their garage and taking my time going through and redoing the entire suspension as I'm saving up for the motor/transmission. I already have a down payment on a MMR shortblock and once that's all done I'll be picking a faceplated T56. I'd say I'm realistically about 2 years or so from everything being complete but I am so close to my dream goal that I can taste it. The Mustang isn't going anywhere. But in the mean time this SRT is a blast to drive! Plus insurance is cheap as crap, I'm getting 32-34mpg depending on how nice I am to her, and my favorite thing is I can drive around and not have every cop in my town follow and stare every second of the day. I live blocks from the police station in a small town and you could hear the Mustang start up in my apartment parking lot when you were standing in the police station lot. I couldn't breath without every cop knowing exactly where I was.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Faceplated trans... blah just go auto at that point. Yes I know I am the resident automatic nutswinger here. I don't see the point of a faceplated trans but whatever floats your boat.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Have two sweet cars. Once you're done with the stang time for a bigger turbo in the srt lol
Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah once the Stang is done I'd love to pick up another DD and start messing with the SRT. But for now every dimes can spare is going into the Mustang fund
Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Yeah once the Stang is done I'd love to pick up another DD and start messing with the SRT. But for now every dimes can spare is going into the Mustang fund
It begins.

And no matter what you do the SRT is not going to be able to keep up with a Mustang with the same money invested. I think that was the thing that pissed off the SRT crowd the most back in the day. You'd have one with 4 or 5K invested in it and a ratty *** bolt on fox with a $500 used nitrous kit and slicks would kick its *** in a race.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
It begins. And no matter what you do the SRT is not going to be able to keep up with a Mustang with the same money invested. I think that was the thing that pissed off the SRT crowd the most back in the day. You'd have one with 4 or 5K invested in it and a ratty *** bolt on fox with a $500 used nitrous kit and slicks would kick its *** in a race.
Man you're busting my balls Scotty! Lol

And of course it will never touch my mustang. I could put $4k in this thing now and it would not touch my mustang as it sits
Old 11-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol I'm just messing. I fell into this trap with a DD of mine a few years ago. Kind of jealous I never come across a "too good to be true" thing like this haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT