New to a convertible 1997 gt - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
New to a convertible 1997 gt

Hello guys.i just recently purchased 1997 gt.i traded in my 1995 v6.well to start off I love this car is so fun to drive.this is my first v8 also.
Well with the goods come the bads.at first when test driving it off the lot the reverse gear seemed to grind but since this is my forts manual car in a couple years I didn't pay much attention thinking it was my fault,a short while after i purchased it the clutch started feeling hard and it felt as if it wear jammed to switch into gears.i took it to my mechanic and he's gonna change the clutch set.
2nd. Idk if I'm being car sensitive about this one but the temperature gage seams to move up and down.while I'm driving on the street the meters hits to the M on the temperature gage wear it says NORMAL I don't smell anything out of the ordinary.i don't have this problem on the freeways and my water tank is full..
Well besides these to problems I'll say I love this car just looking forward to correct the wrongs.
9stan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Before he just tosses in a clutch check to make sure the clutch cable isn't stretched or binding anywhere. These cars have known reverse problems, only way to truly fix it is to rebuild the tranny. Most guys just learn to deal with it.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks.i gotta slowly shift to reverse and hope it doesn't disengage if that's the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yea reverse is terrible. Was like that in my 96 and it's the same in my 03 now... To get into reverse smoother I find it easier to put it into 1st then to reverse. Never grinds
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96smoke View Post
To get into reverse smoother I find it easier to put it into 1st then to reverse. Never grinds
I've used that trick on all manuals since I started driving in '67. I thought that was a normal way to shift.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking maybe I need a new clutch set so it can engaged and disengage properly?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
First off, if you have a stock clutch quadrant, grab ahold of the clutch pedal and yank UP towards you. You should hear a zip tie style noise as it takes all the slack out of the line.

You also might have an aftermarket cable from a previous owner and if that's the case it needs to be replaced with an OEM one. Max Motorsports has OEM ones you can buy. Finally, does this car have a firewall adjuster or anything? You need to crawl all over the car and try to find every little modification that the previous owner/owners might have done. If its bone stock, that is a much better starting point.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure of any modifications.
Yesterday pulling in the drive way the shifter got jammed and wouldn't shift to any gears even though the clutch was pressed all the way down.
So it was pretty much stuck on neutral.luckily later that night the car was functioning properly.ima purchase the clucth set and get it changed Saturday.i hope that's the problem :/
Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah but if its the cable the new clutch won't do a damn thing. Or if your quadrant is jacked a new clutch won't fix that either. Do not just throw parts at a problem without first diagnosing exactly what is wrong.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
As far a reverse goes... Our T-45 tranny's are notorious for not going onto reverse or grinding into reverse. Like 96smoke said, shift into 1st, or I shift into 5th first (doesn't matter what forward gear). It's a habit you will develop when having a stick.

Hope you figure the other stuff out. My suggestion is, if you have to do the clutch, do it all... throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch and pressure plate. I would even have your flywheel checked and possibly resurfaced.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hhmm what confuses me is that my car will drive fine from home to work fine but as a soon as I pulled in today with the clutch Pedal fully pressed I couldn't hit any gears.it was jammed as if it acts up when my car heats up..well tomorow im seeing a mechanic hopefully this resolved....
I still love this car though lol
Old 11-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pilot bearing/TOB should be done ANY time the trans comes out unless its literally like a week later to fix or change something. What I would do is get the Maximum Motorsports quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster kit and install that. The way to properly adjust the kit after you install it all is to put the car on ramps/jackstands and start it in neutral. Make sure it is chocked like crazy, crawl under it while running and look at the throwout bearing. Have someone adjust the firewall adjuster until it just starts to spin. Then do another click or two and that is your preload.

If you are still having issues then its the clutch and time for a change. For a 1998 you an get the $150 King Cobra kit from CJ Pony Parts and that'll be good for a long time. Always a good idea to get the flywheel resurfaced when you do a new clutch.

As for reverse, yep 1st 1st reverse or 5th 5th reverse. The T-45 is notorious for reverse issues though and a full rebuild with billet forks, new synchros and the reverse fix is the only way to really make one rock solid.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The first gear to reverse actually works pretty well.
I drove out my car to get food and I was pulling out the plaza in second gear and the car was still pulling forward with my foot of the clutch.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

I can drive around parking lots with my foot off the gas and the clutch in 1st gear just fine in mine. I also do not use the gas to back out of parking spots unless the car is on a slope and needs it.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So my cars at the shop.while replacing the clutch set they also pulled out a broken clutch fork which also contributed to my clutch and shifter acting up.the problem is that no auto shops have this part.so now my car has to stay at the shop till tomorow while I bus it to galpin ford,the only dealer around me with the part in stock.it runs about 80 so it's not to bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT