Bushing issues need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bushing issues need help

I had aftermarket upper and lower rear control arms installed in my car, when installed I noticed my rear end sat up higher and my rubber bushings only lasted about 4 months, is there an underlying problem or is this normal please help I don't want to have polyurethane bushings installed to have them wear prematurely again thanks!
sikstang03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
So you had new rubber bushings in that only lasted for 4 months or you got the car and it was only 4 months before they **** the bed or what? I'm confused.

At any rate the poly bushings will be a lot firmer and tighter. Or the control arms you got were some cheap brand that are off a little?

Also not the best idea in the world to install poly or even tubular upper control arms. Just new rubber in the stock stamped uppers is good if you are not going to convert to a torque arm setup or go IRS.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well when my bushings went out the first time on my stock control arms rather than paying $80 I could spend a little more and get brand new upper+lower control arms with new bushings that came with rubber ones, I know the poly will be much better and I thought it was what it had came with in the beginning, but yea after brand new control arms and rubber bushings the bushings are tore up and need replacing, idk if our mustangs are just infamous for this or there's an underlying problem or if I just replace my bushings it'll be fine, but like I said after the installation my rear end sat up higher which I'm not sure is normal since the only things holding my car up is the springs
sikstang03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

OEM rubber bushings should not be torn up that fast. Something else is wrong with your setup if that is happening.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
These arm mine after 1 month I got free replacements the uppers and the lowers were bad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3334795982.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	134862  
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
These arm mine after 1 month I got free replacements the uppers and the lowers were bad
What brand are those?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

What brand are those?
Sve from latemodelrestoration
Old 11-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Sve from latemodelrestoration
Yeesh.
Not a very good service life...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

A buddy of mine at work is dead set on the SVE stuff for his Mach. I keep telling him to get a known good brand like Steeda or MM and you get what you pay for but he won't do it. Might show him that pic... I had MM LCAs in my 95 for YEARS and they looked perfect when I sold the car. The Steedas in my 98 are also solid as a rock and I've had the car almost 2 years now and I know they were on the car for at least another 2 years before I got it.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

Yeesh.
Not a very good service life...
They sent me new bushings and they are holding up really good I like the tubular arms I get a way better launch !!

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
A buddy of mine at work is dead set on the SVE stuff for his Mach. I keep telling him to get a known good brand like Steeda or MM and you get what you pay for but he won't do it. Might show him that pic... I had MM LCAs in my 95 for YEARS and they looked perfect when I sold the car. The Steedas in my 98 are also solid as a rock and I've had the car almost 2 years now and I know they were on the car for at least another 2 years before I got it.
Yes I should have went with a better brand but I just did not have the money at the time and you are right you get what you pay for
Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Stay away from urethane UCA bushings. They will damage your torque boxes, because they will increase bind. The OEM rubber ones allow for proper axle articulation. The urethane will damage your torque boxes from hard launching.
It takes several years for the OEM rubber bushings to go out. You have other issues maybe to much pinion angle???
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can do the Team Z UCA relocation kit, you can also weld battle boxes into your UCA/LCA areas (which anyone launching hard should probably do anyway) to keep any damage from occuring.

There are guys running very fast times on the UPR pro series stuff with the wishbone and double anti roll bars. If you want to go fast in a straight line and stay light you do have to work with the stock 4 link stuff because a torque arm/panhard bar setup is heavy and more suited to road racing and the IRS just won't hold up like the SRA will with slicks, even a built one.

But for the stock setup, no you do NOT do poly bushings and the UCAs should stay the stock factory stamped ones.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
To me it looks like they are way over tighten and have absolutely no grease on them what so ever.. No matter what brand you decide to go with they should all come with a little packet of grease or lube if you will to prevent the bushings from binding up like these in the picture above. Without the grease and way over tighten of the bolt you get binding between the bushing and the bracket its in and it will also cause the rearend to set higher until it tears the bushing.
The cheap LCA's i had in my 93 GT were in there for 8 years and are still going in another car because they were installed correctly.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
To me it looks like they are way over tighten and have absolutely no grease on them what so ever.. No matter what brand you decide to go with they should all come with a little packet of grease or lube if you will to prevent the bushings from binding up like these in the picture above. Without the grease and way over tighten of the bolt you get binding between the bushing and the bracket its in and it will also cause the rearend to set higher until it tears the bushing.
The cheap LCA's i had in my 93 GT were in there for 8 years and are still going in another car because they were installed correctly.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
If your are talking about my pic they where greased they have grease fittings on them when I took them off I cleaned it off before I took the pic and they came with lock nuts so you do not have to tighten it very tight I did mine snug and left it and all 4 of mine went bad but the new set is great have not had a prob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« New DD! | DTC HELP »