5 speed stiff to shift - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
5 speed stiff to shift

I was driving in 5th gear and went to downshift and I like couldn't. The shifter is very very hard to move and takes a lot of force to get it into gear and I hear like a grinding noise. Please help it's my daily driver
calebnaasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebnaasko View Post
I was driving in 5th gear and went to downshift and I like couldn't. The shifter is very very hard to move and takes a lot of force to get it into gear and I hear like a grinding noise. Please help it's my daily driver
sounds like something's jamming up inside. Bent shifter fork maybe?

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
sounds like something's jamming up inside. Bent shifter fork maybe?
It's fine now. Idk what's wrong. 5th gear has a bad synchro cuz when I shift into it grinds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Then you are just asking for it to happen again. If this is your DD you need to replace that trans or get it rebuilt. If you don't have the funds... well it might hold till tax returns.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Then you are just asking for it to happen again. If this is your DD you need to replace that trans or get it rebuilt. If you don't have the funds... well it might hold till tax returns.
So it's the whole trans
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well is it stiff just going into 5th or every gear?

When was the last time you adjusted the clutch cable? When was the last time you did the clutch. Does the clutch feel like it is grabbing? Is it an aftermarket or OEM cable? Could be a lot of stuff but if its only doing it in 5th and is good in all other gears that means there is an issue with 5th specifically and you'd need the trans to come out for work.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
if the problems only with 5th and you don't have the $ I work on the trans then don't use 5th . Really only need it on long highway trips and even then doesn't have to be used

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well is it stiff just going into 5th or every gear? When was the last time you adjusted the clutch cable? When was the last time you did the clutch. Does the clutch feel like it is grabbing? Is it an aftermarket or OEM cable? Could be a lot of stuff but if its only doing it in 5th and is good in all other gears that means there is an issue with 5th specifically and you'd need the trans to come out for work.
Only 5th gear. An I just bought the car last week
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Did it do it when you bought it? Where did you buy it from? Did you sign a bill of sale or anything that said "AS IS". If you didn't you might be able to go after the seller for recompense. I can't imagine you didn't try out 5th gear when you test drove it though...

Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did it do it when you bought it? Where did you buy it from? Did you sign a bill of sale or anything that said "AS IS". If you didn't you might be able to go after the seller for recompense. I can't imagine you didn't try out 5th gear when you test drove it though...
We weren't by a highway. I don't think it's a big deal I just need to know if it'll be ok an what to do.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I traded my stang for his. Mine was in worse shape and had more miles and problems
Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well then you may have made out you may have not. Depends what your definition of a problem is, a trans rebuild is a pretty big issue but it isn't like you can't swap one out in 2 or 3 hours if you have access to a lift.

Dude might have thought he got the better end of the deal if he knew the trans was on the way out.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well then... highway drive is something you need to do on any test drive but w/e. Won't be a big deal if you don't use 5th. Don't be surprised if it gets stuck and strands you though if you try to use 5th. Trans will need to come out to fix it if it is indeed the 5th gear synchro.
So I shouldn't use 5th? Cuz it'll mess up and stuff
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is it the stock shifter cause I had the same problem with mine at one point and a bolt had come out of my aftermarket and got stuck where you go to out it at in 5th and would not let the shifter slide in
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

What I would do:

-Yank the shifter out and see what brand it is and if its installed right. There is no adjusting stops in a 3650 if you have an 01.5-04 car. If you have a T-45 make sure your stops are adjusted.
-While its out, drain the fluid from the bottom and fill it back up with 3 qts of Mercon V through the shifter hole.
-Check to see if you have the stock quadrant, if you do then yank UP on the clutch pedal. You will hear a zip tie like noise, that is the pawl taking up slack in the cable. If you have an aftermarket one make sure the cable is on the correct hook for multi hook and that the quadrant is properly spacered and centered.
-Check for any firewall adjuster, if you have one, make sure the clutch is engaging/disengaging properly
-Check the cable, make SURE you have the OEM style cable. Aftermarket ones are trash, every single one of them.
-Finally, pull the dust cover off your trans and take a gander in there and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary. You never know.

I mean really just go through it like crazy and check everything. If she still grinds going into 5th then I dunno. I had a pile of chit B&M Ripper shifter get stuck in 5th once and that sucked. Did not grind or have any issues once I removed the shifter and put a different one in though.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: California
IF YOU CANT FIND IT, GRIND IT

Lol just something old truckers would tell me when I was learning to drive semi's
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« Oil leak? | My 98 »