Question on Intake Air Temp Sensor 96 SVT Cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Question on Intake Air Temp Sensor 96 SVT Cobra

Since the weather has gotten colder I'm getting a CEL. The code is P0113. Intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high.

I'm not familiar with the layout of sensors on a 4.6 4V Mod engine. I do have a K&N CAI, but it's been there forever. Only other new thing is a BAMA Tune. I did detail the engine bay about 1-2 months ago, perhaps I knocked something loose. Where do I start looking? Can I check the sensor with a digital multi meter? Thanks, Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Dave,

It's possible the IAT did go bad, but lets rule a few things out first. You can take a multimeter to the power side of the IAT sensor and make sure it's getting about 5v of reference. Place the ground side of the multimeter on the engine block. Then depending how on the IAT sensor is scaled (not sure for this year), usually the colder the temperature outside the more resistance is shown. So, there should be significantly less voltage on the return wire to the PCM during cold weather. If the return line is close to the voltage you measured on the hot side, then the sensor is bad.

This is assuming the IAT sensor scales from hot to cold with cold being the most resistance. You would need to confirm that before testing.

Also, how long ago was the custom tune added? Also, how long ago did you start getting this CEL code?

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Tune was added in September. This issue didn't show up until the weather started getting cold. If I reload the tune I get no CEL and can run for hours without cel. But one I turn the car off and restart it when the air temp and the block is cold, then I get this code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Tune was added in September. This issue didn't show up until the weather started getting cold. If I reload the tune I get no CEL and can run for hours without cel. But one I turn the car off and restart it when the air temp and the block is cold, then I get this code.
The CEL will turn off every time you reflash the PCM no matter what the code. Specifically the IAT sensor will not throw a code until it reports issues during two engine cycles. Which means you can drive for hours during the first reflash, but that only counts as one cycle. Then when the engine in finally turned off and back on again (second cycle). The PCM picks up issues with the IAT sensor for the second time and throws a CEL.

It definitely sounds like your issue is the IAT sensor or IAT sensor harness. If it was the tune, you would have seen symptoms a long time ago.

Hope this helps clarify things for you!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Easy repair, I had suspension components installed last week. For some reason the installer removed the sensor connector. I plugged it in and will start her up in the morning, should be fixed. Thanks for your help. Dave.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I was gonna say good luck on that block ground.. Haha aluminum Teksid block lol glad you got it fixed
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Easy repair, I had suspension components installed last week. For some reason the installer removed the sensor connector. I plugged it in and will start her up in the morning, should be fixed. Thanks for your help. Dave.
That will do it haha. Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Let me know if anything else turns up!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla View Post
I was gonna say good luck on that block ground.. Haha aluminum Teksid block lol glad you got it fixed
Believe it or not, aluminum is a great conductor of electricity. In fact, aluminum is a better conductor per weight than copper, but not width. Some of the reasons automotive and house hold wires are not made of aluminum is because it's too brittle and radiates too much heat. However, aluminum wires are still used in aircraft to this date!

Just some fun facts lol. I was under the same impression as you until I took a few automotive electrical classes back in college!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT