'99-'04 GT Competitors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
'99-'04 GT Competitors

I figured this would be a pretty informative discussion.
What other cars compete with the '99-'04 GT's?
There isn't another muscle car competitor for these years. The Cobra and Z/28 compete, but the GT doesn't stand a chance (LS1 seems to be the only GOOD engine Chevy made).
Some ideas include Civic's with turbos (without an engine build), newer trucks, any thing you can think of?
I know it's not really fair V6 vs V8 or car vs truck, but new engines are pretty freakin' good and turbos about level the playing field.
04beautyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The S2000 is just about on par with the the 99-04 GT, as well as the 350z.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I can't speak for the newest ones, but the older hawk eye/bug eye WRXs are fairly competitive until they hit stage 2.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Road Trip!

+1 on the wrx (Non-sti)
But Chevy LT1s run pretty much on par with GTs
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
+1 on the wrx (Non-sti)
But Chevy LT1s run pretty much on par with GTs
+1 on the lt1s
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Ran a modded trans am tonight 3rd gear rolls

I won
He won
I won
He won

Then I had to exit

For A GT your going to have trouble with LS1 cars
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Road Trip!

I say op runs a pushrod 5.0
I think everybody would like to see that lol
Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You talking about the 94-95s? If so then it's pretty much a bend over and take it for the 5.0 guy. They have a pretty poor top end even when compared to a 2V
Old 11-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
The 5.0 can make power easily, just like LS motors because they are pushrod based. But a stock 5.0 vs a stock 4.6 2v, you better give that 5.0 guy some lube at least.

HID end all thread
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The 5.0 can make power easily, just like LS motors because they are pushrod based. But a stock 5.0 vs a stock 4.6 2v, you better give that 5.0 guy some lube at least.
Nah not stock
Modded vs modded!!
Stock cars racing are boring
Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nah not stock
Modded vs modded!!
Stock cars racing are boring
The only problem with comparing modded cars is that it comes down to who dumped more money in their ride than the other.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
You talking about the 94-95s? If so then it's pretty much a bend over and take it for the 5.0 guy. They have a pretty poor top end even when compared to a 2V
I routinely assraped my buddie's bolt on 04 GT with my bolt on 95 Cobra. Wasn't even a fair fight as to which one of our cars was faster.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
The only problem with comparing modded cars is that it comes down to who dumped more money in their ride than the other.
thats the point yo!!
If they're stock you don't even have to look at the cars to have a pretty good guess at who will win.

When you start modding it's fun to see how it ends up. Everybody has a different set up and there no such thing as equal drivers.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

I routinely assraped my buddie's bolt on 04 GT with my bolt on 95 Cobra. Wasn't even a fair fight as to which one of our cars was faster.
My buddies 95 GT was consistently slower than my GT (1.3 seconds at the drag strip) and we both had a CAI and 3.55s.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
thats the point yo!!
If they're stock you don't even have to look at the cars to have a pretty good guess at who will win.

When you start modding it's fun to see how it ends up. Everybody has a different set up and there no such thing as equal drivers.
Yep, he who has the most money wins... if he who has the most money knows what he is doing. I have seen many cars making far less power than their competition run much faster times at a track. Case in point, 520ish ported Eaton automatic Terminators in the 9s when cars making several hundred HP more can't get past low 10s.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote:
My buddies 95 GT was consistently slower than my GT (1.3 seconds at the drag strip) and we both had a CAI and 3.55s.
The 95 GT dynos around 195whp for a stick shift. The 95 Cobra does 230 to the wheels bone stock. The Cobras were drastically underrated from the factory. Also I doubt he had the 95's computer's timing tables fixed or the tip-in ****** removed. I was running an A9L in my old Cobra.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats the point yo!!

That's where it gets the most complicated though. One person could drive the **** out of a 2V and beat the driver of a Vette, while at the same time everybody else is gonna get raped by that Vette if it had a better driver

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote:

Yep, he who has the most money wins... if he who has the most money knows what he is doing. I have seen many cars making far less power than their competition run much faster times at a track. Case in point, 520ish ported Eaton automatic Terminators in the 9s when cars making several hundred HP more can't get past low 10s.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

The 95 GT dynos around 195whp for a stick shift. The 95 Cobra does 230-240. The Cobras were drastically underrated from the factory. Also I doubt he had the 95's computer's timing tables fixed or the tip-in ****** removed. I was running an A9L in my old Cobra.
Ok that makes more sense. Did the Cobras have the GT40 heads? I do remember him mentioning that he advanced the timing a little bit but I doubt it did that much.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
That's where it gets the most complicated though. One person could drive the **** out of a 2V and beat the driver of a Vette, while at the same time everybody else is gonna get raped by that Vette if it had a better driver
Very common thing I have been able to do in my 98 against cars I know I should lose to is get a really good launch and watch them panic thinking I'm going to keep pulling and they blow their tires off in 1st/2nd trying to catch me. Need to fix that issue this year coming up so I actually WILL keep pulling haha.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Ok that makes more sense. Did the Cobras have the GT40 heads? I do remember him mentioning that he advanced the timing a little bit but I doubt it did that much.
94/95 Cobras had GT40 heads, GT40 intake and actually had a milder cam than the GT but had Crane 1.7 roller rockers to give a little more aggressive of an overall profile than the GT setup. I had:

-A9L computer
-Timing advanced to 14
-3.73s
-Shifter
-Full exhaust
-Pullies
-CAI

That car was a boatload of fun and you can get them for next to nothing these days for some reason.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Very common thing I have been able to do in my 98 against cars I know I should lose to is get a really good launch and watch them panic thinking I'm going to keep pulling and they blow their tires off in 1st/2nd trying to catch me. Need to fix that issue this year coming up so I actually WILL keep pulling haha.

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

94/95 Cobras had GT40 heads, GT40 intake and actually had a milder cam than the GT but had Crane 1.7 roller rockers to give a little more aggressive of an overall profile than the GT setup. I had:

-A9L computer
-Timing advanced to 14
-3.73s
-Shifter
-Full exhaust
-Pullies
-CAI

That car was a boatload of fun and you can get them for next to nothing these days for some reason.
Ha I wish I could do that. Nobody even tries to mess with me for some reason.
I think everybody just underestimates the 94-95 Cobras since they are overshadowed by the 96-98s. My buddy had the Cobras intake and was looking for some GT40s for his car.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

-A9L computer
-Timing advanced to 14
-3.73s
-Shifter
-Full exhaust
-Pullies
-CAI

+1 on that, there is a clean 97 Cobra in my area being sold for 7k with a **** load done to it.

HID end all thread
Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Overshadowed because ppl are uneducated about them. IMO they are one of the best buys going in the Mustang world. You get a numbered car, you get a factory HCI already done on the venerable 5.0 pushrod and you get all the Cobra goodies like the big brakes, front bumper, airbags etc... already done. And the Crabclaw wing was a cool unique piece that I NEVER see done properly on the Cobra clones.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
+1 on that, there is a clean 97 Cobra in my area being sold for 7k with a **** load done to it.
Yeah but that's a 4V and it would go for more than that if it was stock or near stock. I've seen very low mileage stock 94/95 Cobras go in the $8k range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT