Ticking noise?! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
It was lodged inside of the intake manifold somewhere when we got it. We shook it and everything to make sure there wasn't anything loose in it when we got it new almost a year ago. :/
BrandonMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That sucks!
They really owe you a new engine but you'll never get them to pay for that...
See if they'll refund you the money for their crappy intake and get the OE intake from Ford.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they really do owe me… but we decided to just use the replacement Napa Auto Parts gave us. It has a slightly different design to it so hopefully it won't crack or have anything in it.

Ford wants $700-$900 for a replacement plastic intake and we have already spent toooooo much fixing the motor on the GT, so we will take our free replacement for now. We don't have the money to pay $700-$900 for an intake right now, but if we did have the money, that's certainly what we were going to do!

Thanks everyone for the help and info!!! I GREATLY appreciate it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
$700?!??!?! Hell no I wouldn't pay that either I bought a Ford Racing PI intake from summit for $189 plus shipping
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

We rebuilt the entire motor and got everything put back on it after 3 weeks of work, started it up and it smoked a thick white color. We looked under the car and saw a puddle of oil! We decided we are 90% sure it's the rear main seal leaking. So now we've gotta pull the transmission and everything to replace a $15.00 seal.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Man, well hopefully that's all it is

And btw don't feel bad, I have just as bad luck with things as you do. You're not alone lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Man, well hopefully that's all it is

And btw don't feel bad, I have just as bad luck with things as you do. You're not alone lol

Okay lol. The GT has 163,000 miles so I've kinda expected it lol. Once all this is done, it will be done for good lol.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMcCoy View Post
Okay lol. The GT has 163,000 miles so I've kinda expected it lol. Once all this is done, it will be done for good lol.
Don't these motors last a lot longer than 163k? I've heard of easily going 200k+...

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they do. Taxi companies routinely take them to 300,000 miles.

I met a cab driver when I was in L.A. and the Crown Vic he picked me up in was over 275,000. One of the guys in a local Mustang club to me has a 96 GT with 206,000 miles on it, and he still takes it to the track and runs low 13's.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Yeah they do. Taxi companies routinely take them to 300,000 miles.

I met a cab driver when I was in L.A. and the Crown Vic he picked me up in was over 275,000. One of the guys in a local Mustang club to me has a 96 GT with 206,000 miles on it, and he still takes it to the track and runs low 13's.
Yep.
And that's usually after the cops beat on those cars for the first 100k of their life...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why do so many GT stangs die so early then? Seems worse then the v6's. I spent a long time in the 6 forums section and never saw hardly anything on engines blowing.

2003 Mustang GT (Sold)
1999 35th Anniversary V6(SOLD)
V6 stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 stang View Post
Why do so many GT stangs die so early then? Seems worse then the v6's. I spent a long time in the 6 forums section and never saw hardly anything on engines blowing.
Because racecar. Lol

But seriously,
There could be a bunch of reasons. Most under estimate the 2V, and compared to whats out today, stock for stock, its not really impressive. But the 4.6 was the catalyst to Ford and improvements for what we have available tody. Not to metion it was on the top 10 list of best engines in the world for quite a few years (albeit in different forms).

Alot of it could be hype, or exaggerations; its not any more susceptible than an LSX, BBF, BBC, etc...etc... Bad tunes, lack of proper maintenance, exceeding maximum hp ratings.etc..etc.. these could all be factors. Also, you have to remember, the 4.6 was the same engine used in alot of different vehicles at FoMoCo.

And to clarify, to my knowledge, there isn't a ton of threads regarding blown engines here. Alot you might see are swaps, or plain rebuilds; or discussions of upgrading power plants. This Doesnt necessarily mean someone blew an engine. For example, the OP (and correct me if im wrong) had an issue because of a faulty aftermarket intake. Thats not an engine problem, just bad luck. (Hence why I mentioned the comment about having bad luck too) Had there been a different intake (oem or quality aftermarket) this may not have happened.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, you are correct. It was just bad luck and a mess up at the factory. Had all of this not happened to me, the engine would have been fine to 300,000 miles. This tiny piece of medal was evidently lodged in the intake when we purchased it from the factory new. Me driving it (normal, not rough housing it) just happened to loosen it up roughly after a year.

Since we have gotten it all done and put back together, it has been a LONG 4WEEKS. But it has paid off with me now getting 23 MPG. I was previously getting about 19 MPG, and all of this is driving long distances because I live roughly 20 mins (about 7 miles) to my nearest town. So this is basically highway driving, not city driving.

It is running better than I have ever seen it before. If the belt wasn't rotating on the front of the motor, I wouldn't even know it was running (because it runs so smooth, no shaking).

---------------- ✨

Thank you EVERYONE for ALL of the advice you have given me, my dad, uncle, brother, and grandpa.
WE TRULY DO APPRECIATE IT EVERYBODY!!!

---------------- ✨

This is what we unveiled when we took the heads off:
cylinder walls look great. That is factory honing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390193165.317293.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	145165

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390193251.186496.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	145166

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1390193293.639939.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	145167

I took several pictures of the motor, so if anyone is curious to see what everything looked like in our project, just leave a reply.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT