HELP!! P0141 Code - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Larrondo
Region: California
Posts: 2
HELP!! P0141 Code

I've been having some issues with my car passing smog and I'am in need of some advice.
I took the car to see if it would pass smog and the gentlemen told me that the readiness monitors were not ready. He also notice when he drove the car that it was running way to rich and recommended that I change the O2 sensors.
So long story short, I replaced all four sensors (smell went away) and drove it about 120 miles. Once i got home I checked the computer and it threw this code: P0141.
P0141- OXY SENS HEATER CIRC ( BANK1-SENSE2). What does this code mean? Is the sensor bad? The wiring to the sensor bad? Please help..Thanks!
Adl_s07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adl_s07 View Post
I've been having some issues with my car passing smog and I'am in need of some advice. I took the car to see if it would pass smog and the gentlemen told me that the readiness monitors were not ready. He also notice when he drove the car that it was running way to rich and recommended that I change the O2 sensors. So long story short, I replaced all four sensors (smell went away) and drove it about 120 miles. Once i got home I checked the computer and it threw this code: P0141. P0141- OXY SENS HEATER CIRC ( BANK1-SENSE2). What does this code mean? Is the sensor bad? The wiring to the sensor bad? Please help..Thanks!
Causes of Oxygen Sensor Trouble Codes P0133 P0135 P0141

Oxygen sensors monitor the amount of oxygen in the exhaust so the engine computer (PCM) can adjust the fuel mixture to minimize emissions and maximize fuel economy. There are two types of oxygen sensor trouble codes: O2 heater circuit codes and O2 sensor codes. A heater codes will set if a fault is detected in the circuit that warms up the oxygen sensor when your engine is first started. This is necessary to reduce cold start emissions. An O2 sensor performance code will be set if the O2 sensor readings remain low (lean), or high (rich), or do not change quickly enough, or do not change at all.

A low voltage (lean) oxygen sensor reading may indicate the sensor has failed, or that it is being "fooled" by an exhaust manifold vacuum leak, or a condition that allows unburned oxygen to enter the exhaust such as a burned or bend exhaust valve, or a misfiring spark plug.

NOTE: If you get an oxygen sensor code plus a random misfire code and/or a MAP sensor code, the engine probably has a serious vacuum leak.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
Causes of Oxygen Sensor Trouble Codes P0133 P0135 P0141 Oxygen sensors monitor the amount of oxygen in the exhaust so the engine computer (PCM) can adjust the fuel mixture to minimize emissions and maximize fuel economy. There are two types of oxygen sensor trouble codes: O2 heater circuit codes and O2 sensor codes. A heater codes will set if a fault is detected in the circuit that warms up the oxygen sensor when your engine is first started. This is necessary to reduce cold start emissions. An O2 sensor performance code will be set if the O2 sensor readings remain low (lean), or high (rich), or do not change quickly enough, or do not change at all. A low voltage (lean) oxygen sensor reading may indicate the sensor has failed, or that it is being "fooled" by an exhaust manifold vacuum leak, or a condition that allows unburned oxygen to enter the exhaust such as a burned or bend exhaust valve, or a misfiring spark plug. NOTE: If you get an oxygen sensor code plus a random misfire code and/or a MAP sensor code, the engine probably has a serious vacuum leak.
Hope this helps
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Larrondo
Region: California
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Graymach View Post
Causes of Oxygen Sensor Trouble Codes P0133 P0135 P0141

Oxygen sensors monitor the amount of oxygen in the exhaust so the engine computer (PCM) can adjust the fuel mixture to minimize emissions and maximize fuel economy. There are two types of oxygen sensor trouble codes: O2 heater circuit codes and O2 sensor codes. A heater codes will set if a fault is detected in the circuit that warms up the oxygen sensor when your engine is first started. This is necessary to reduce cold start emissions. An O2 sensor performance code will be set if the O2 sensor readings remain low (lean), or high (rich), or do not change quickly enough, or do not change at all.

A low voltage (lean) oxygen sensor reading may indicate the sensor has failed, or that it is being "fooled" by an exhaust manifold vacuum leak, or a condition that allows unburned oxygen to enter the exhaust such as a burned or bend exhaust valve, or a misfiring spark plug.

NOTE: If you get an oxygen sensor code plus a random misfire code and/or a MAP sensor code, the engine probably has a serious vacuum leak.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------


Hope this helps
Helps me out a little. Still confused on what should be done. Should I just replace the O2 Sensor?
Adl_s07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yuma
Region: Arizona
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adl_s07 View Post
Helps me out a little. Still confused on what should be done. Should I just replace the O2 Sensor?
Well you said your already replaced all 4 right? If so, it's possible I guess one if the new ones is bad, but that code could also signify you have a vacuum leak.

There are some how to vids out there in YouTube to help you try and track that down.

All else fails, take it to your trusted mechanic
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
03Graymach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brenham
Region: Texas
Posts: 328
What's it's saying is that yes one of the new ones could be bad or you have a vacuum leak or a bad spark plug causing it to run real rich. I can tell you the problem is in the front 2 o2 sensors if it's one of then but I would replace spark plugs first before you leak check it
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adl_s07 View Post
I've been having some issues with my car passing smog and I'am in need of some advice.
I took the car to see if it would pass smog and the gentlemen told me that the readiness monitors were not ready. He also notice when he drove the car that it was running way to rich and recommended that I change the O2 sensors.
So long story short, I replaced all four sensors (smell went away) and drove it about 120 miles. Once i got home I checked the computer and it threw this code: P0141.
P0141- OXY SENS HEATER CIRC ( BANK1-SENSE2). What does this code mean? Is the sensor bad? The wiring to the sensor bad? Please help..Thanks!
P0141, HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12) indicates the heater in the passenger side rear O2 sensor did not pass the I/M tests--it has the same possible causes as P0135.

Here is what the shop manual says about P0135, including possible causes and diagnostic tips.

It could just not be plugged in properly...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Constantine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 129
MIL eliminators from americanmuscle.com
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
MIL eliminators from americanmuscle.com
MIL eliminators will not correct a heater malfunction; except that the act of installing them might correct an electrical connection problem...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Constantine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
MIL eliminators will not correct a heater malfunction; except that the act of installing them might correct an electrical connection problem...
Oops. You're right. Sorry, I got my codes mixed up.
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:42 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.