Run With New 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Run With New 5.0

My dad bought a 2013 5.0 6M 3.73 Brembo package car last year. I cant believe how much faster it is than my bolt-on 2004 GT 5speed. It drives and handles sooo much better, Ford really built a sweet car with the 13-14s.

Anyway, without supercharging or spraying it, is there any way to get my New Edge to run with the new Coyote?

I would love to sale my car and buy a 5.0 but my car is a weekend toy that is paid for, so having a car payment for a 3000 mile per year toy isn't really justifiable in this economy.

Thanks guys!
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0440thgt View Post
My dad bought a 2013 5.0 6M 3.73 Brembo package car last year. I cant believe how much faster it is than my bolt-on 2004 GT 5speed. It drives and handles sooo much better, Ford really built a sweet car with the 13-14s. Anyway, without supercharging or spraying it, is there any way to get my New Edge to run with the new Coyote? I would love to sale my car and buy a 5.0 but my car is a weekend toy that is paid for, so having a car payment for a 3000 mile per year toy isn't really justifiable in this economy. Thanks guys!
Nope. Not much you can do if you won't spray or go FI. Without extensive and very expensive engine work the 2v will not go over maybe 330rwhp NA.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
You've got a pretty tall order to try and beat a Coyote with a N/A 2V. Best idea is to shed as much weight as you can and really dial in your suspension for a good launch. You could try to build a motor for it but it's pretty damn tough to make decent power without boost or spray
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm in the same boat as you. I very often think of selling my 98 next year and then financing a 5.0 but I can't justify the $300+/mo payment on a car I will garage most of the time. Plus I'd probably get a Mystic Termi if I was going to have a payment like that. At least then I could justify keeping the miles off it and have it go up in value.

Anyway to answer your question, suspension suspension suspension. Fat tires, gears, all the bolt ons and you might be able to take him in the 1/4. IF you are a better driver. From a highway pull he'll still rape you.

You are looking at a power adder to keep up with him and that's just to keep up. Your shortblock is going to limit you to around 425whp and if he spends $2k-$3k in mods he'll be making well north of 500 to the wheels.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
^+1 considering he is your father, he might be a better driver then you lol I know my dad is he has driven a mustang and other classics muscle, for a very long time before I was born. But he has sold all his toys a very long time ago so I might have a chance lol

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I very often think of selling my 98 next year and then financing a 5.0 but I can't justify the $300+/mo payment on a car I will garage most of the time. Plus I'd probably get a Mystic Termi if I was going to have a payment like that. At least then I could justify keeping the miles off it and have it go up in value. Anyway to answer your question, suspension suspension suspension. Fat tires, gears, all the bolt ons and you might be able to take him in the 1/4. IF you are a better driver. From a highway pull he'll still rape you. You are looking at a power adder to keep up with him and that's just to keep up. Your shortblock is going to limit you to around 425whp and if he spends $2k-$3k in mods he'll be making well north of 500 to the wheels.
There was a dark grey termi for sale at a dealership around here for 17k it was so god damn sexy I wanted it so bad!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
There is no way to beat him n/a lol
Either throw some spray on your car or go forged and supercharge that *****
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
^+1 considering he is your father, he might be a better driver then you lol I know my dad is he has driven a mustang and other classics muscle, for a very long time before I was born. But he has sold all his toys a very long time ago so I might have a chance lol ---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ---------- There was a dark grey termi for sale at a dealership around here for 17k it was so god damn sexy I wanted it so bad!!!
Not necessarily. I know that my dad is probably a better driver than me, but he never beats on his car so I bet if I were to race him id get off the line faster and shift a lot faster than him (him racing our corvette)

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Not necessarily. I know that my dad is probably a better driver than me, but he never beats on his car so I bet if I were to race him id get off the line faster and shift a lot faster than him (him racing our corvette)
(Our corvette) you mean his lol jk jk
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Meh thats what I thought. These 2V cars are pigs unless you drop some serious coin in them. I may just keep it and buy a newer 5.0 after I get my wife's Polaris RZR paid off (yes its hers, she likes it more than I do, lol).

If any of you guys have never driven a new 5.0 I highly suggest NOT doing so. It will make you think of crazy ways to get enough dough to buy one (wonder what the payout for a good kidney is now a days? Hmmm)
0440thgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Meh thats what I thought. These 2V cars are pigs unless you drop some serious coin in them. I may just keep it and buy a newer 5.0 after I get my wife's Polaris RZR paid off (yes its hers, she likes it more than I do, lol). If any of you guys have never driven a new 5.0 I highly suggest NOT doing so. It will make you think of crazy ways to get enough dough to buy one (wonder what the payout for a good kidney is now a days? Hmmm)
Yep, was all about my 2v, till my buddy took me for a drive in his 13 5oh, man I can't wait till this 2v is paid off, than I'll be saving up for a nice down payment on a 5oh, wish my buddy never took me for a drive haha, they are monsters
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Meh thats what I thought. These 2V cars are pigs unless you drop some serious coin in them. I may just keep it and buy a newer 5.0 after I get my wife's Polaris RZR paid off (yes its hers, she likes it more than I do, lol).

If any of you guys have never driven a new 5.0 I highly suggest NOT doing so. It will make you think of crazy ways to get enough dough to buy one (wonder what the payout for a good kidney is now a days? Hmmm)
Just watched Extreme Cheapskates this weekend, dude was trying to get into a clinical trial where they took one of your nuts, replaced it with an artificial one and then released you from the hospital after 2 weeks with a $35,000 check.

So would you literally sell your left nut for a 5.0?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Meh thats what I thought. These 2V cars are pigs unless you drop some serious coin in them. I may just keep it and buy a newer 5.0 after I get my wife's Polaris RZR paid off (yes its hers, she likes it more than I do, lol). If any of you guys have never driven a new 5.0 I highly suggest NOT doing so. It will make you think of crazy ways to get enough dough to buy one (wonder what the payout for a good kidney is now a days? Hmmm)
I feel you on that about not driving one! Haha I test drove one after having to do brakes on it and holy crap, I thought I was happy with the power I had but now I don't think ill ever be satisfied lmao
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just watched Extreme Cheapskates this weekend, dude was trying to get into a clinical trial where they took one of your nuts, replaced it with an artificial one and then released you from the hospital after 2 weeks with a $35,000 check. So would you literally sell your left nut for a 5.0?
Hmmmmm
Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Just watched Extreme Cheapskates this weekend, dude was trying to get into a clinical trial where they took one of your nuts, replaced it with an artificial one and then released you from the hospital after 2 weeks with a $35,000 check.

yes
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
I feel you on that about not driving one! Haha I test drove one after having to do brakes on it and holy crap, I thought I was happy with the power I had but now I don't think ill ever be satisfied lmao
Guy at work traded in a 03 Termi for a 2011 5.0 for the creature comforts. Had bolt ons and a better intercooler and hates how the 5.0 is slower lol. I'm telling you the 03-04 Terminators are the ones to get IMO if you are spending $20k and just want to go fast. If you want all the bells/whistles then get a nice 2011 that has a known good M6. Or just get the auto.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pony View Post
Hmmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
yes
Doctor denied him because he had low T and losing a nut would have caused him to get bigger moobs and too much estrogen.

Then he was talking about a clinical trial he also tried to get into for $25,000 where they flatlined you for a minute and then brought you back and monitored you for 2 weeks but it got nixed by gov't. Finally he was doing a treatment where he took testosterone pills for $125 a week that were in the clinical testing stage. I'll take testosterone pills for a 5.0 payment haha.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Lmao, I thought I was cheap til I saw that show.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Lmao, I thought I was cheap til I saw that show.
Lmao we and my gf started watching it last week, before it started she looks at me and goes "you should be on this show" 5 minutes into watching it she's like yea nvm I can't really call ya cheap anymore after watching this hahaha
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Guy at work traded in a 03 Termi for a 2011 5.0 for the creature comforts. Had bolt ons and a better intercooler and hates how the 5.0 is slower lol. I'm telling you the 03-04 Terminators are the ones to get IMO if you are spending $20k and just want to go fast. If you want all the bells/whistles then get a nice 2011 that has a known good M6. Or just get the auto.
Oh I'd definitely take a Termi over a 5.0 haha the new edge body style is and probably always will be my favorite. I've never driven a 03-04 cobra but I'm sure it's a lot more fun than my moms 99 cobra haha I drove a 13' GT500 for the first time last week and that's a car ill never be able to afford haha but is the fastest car I've ever been in
twotone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone01 View Post
Oh I'd definitely take a Termi over a 5.0 haha the new edge body style is and probably always will be my favorite. I've never driven a 03-04 cobra but I'm sure it's a lot more fun than my moms 99 cobra haha I drove a 13' GT500 for the first time last week and that's a car ill never be able to afford haha but is the fastest car I've ever been in
+1
Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
I almost asked for a test drive in the termi that was for sale at a local dealership, from what they said it had an upgraded supercharger, but my true dream is to drive a gt500 lol
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
(Our corvette) you mean his lol jk jk
Hey I've driven it a few times lol. Just have to say, it's so much faster than the Mustang. 3rd gear in my car sucks but in that car it still pulls like a mofo

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Maybe...
As long as I could still use my pee pee for doing the naughty, I suppose that I could get by without my left nut.
I'm kind of partial to my right nut though...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Maybe... As long as I could still use my pee pee for doing the naughty, I suppose that I could get by without my left nut. I'm kind of partial to my right nut though...
After having met you in person all your jokes on here have been much more funny for some reason lol.

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Hey I've driven it a few times lol. Just have to say, it's so much faster than the Mustang. 3rd gear in my car sucks but in that car it still pulls like a mofo
Bro, if you and the Cali boys ever come thru OKC let me know, ill toss you the termi keys.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
Bro, if you and the Cali boys ever come thru OKC let me know, ill toss you the termi keys.
I'll keep you posted. But you better have at least a pulley swap by then, preferably a KB or Whipple though lol

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Boost that 2v!
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll keep you posted. But you better have at least a pulley swap by then, preferably a KB or Whipple though lol
Haha, I wish, I should have a pulley port and full exhaust by then.
If I get this new job ill throw a whipple on there, I just love the looks of the whipples, look like the eaton but bigger lol and more efficient
Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
Haha, I wish, I should have a pulley port and full exhaust by then. If I get this new job ill throw a whipple on there, I just love the looks of the whipples, look like the eaton but bigger lol and more efficient
But that KB whine.

HID end all thread
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
No chance

5.0 are beast
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But that KB whine.
Whipple looks sexy and whines but it's quieter
Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
A Whipple has more of a that old school fire truck wail than a whine
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
A Whipple has more of a that old school fire truck wail than a whine
True.
Back in topic
Whipple that 2v
Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
No chance

5.0 are beast
I've seen NA 2Vs on the stock longblock run faster times than mild bolt on 5.0s. But on a highway the 5.0 would run that ***** down and blow the doors off. Also the ease of getting power out of the 5.0 is ludicrous. Still not like the Termi though.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
I've seen NA 2Vs on the stock longblock run faster times than mild bolt on 5.0s. But on a highway the 5.0 would run that ***** down and blow the doors off. Also the ease of getting power out of the 5.0 is ludicrous. Still not like the Termi though.
i wish you would chime in on 4.6 vs 5.0 thread
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

I did. He who has the most money wins. They both have their pros and cons. Biggest negative to the Coyote right now is upfront cost which will be mitigated somewhat over time. Its not like a 2009 or 2010 3V is exactly cheap to get into either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT