Need new clutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Need new clutch

Alright so I have a 03 gt with minor bolt ons so nothing crazy but I do drive it kinda hard and my clutch just have out on me so I'm in need of a new clutch and was wondering what the big difference is from a performance one from American muscle and a clutch I could just pick up from autozone. Will I feel any difference from a cheaper one or?
03gteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
There's a ton of options to choose from, depending on what route you want to take with your Mustang. It sounds like the clutch you're looking at from Autozone is just an OE replacement, correct? If so, this clutch won't hold up to anymore power than before. I don't suggest this, as you mentioned your aggressive driving style.

There's no need to go over kill either! We carry a few clutches that are designed to be stronger than stock, but not stiff as a rock. The Exedy 350 will suit your perfectly! It's rated for 430ft-lbs of torque and has excellent street manners. This also gives you room to add more mods down the road and still handle the power!

Hope any of this info helps you out. If there's any other questions I can answer, let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
There's a ton of options to choose from, depending on what route you want to take with your Mustang. It sounds like the clutch you're looking at from Autozone is just an OE replacement, correct? If so, this clutch won't hold up to anymore power than before. I don't suggest this, as you mentioned your aggressive driving style.

There's no need to go over kill either! We carry a few clutches that are designed to be stronger than stock, but stiff as a rock. The Exedy 350 will suit your perfectly! It's rated for 430ft-lbs of torque and has excellent street manners. This also gives you room to add more mods down the road and still handle the power!

Hope any of this info helps you out. If there's any other questions I can answer, let me know!

Shane
+1 I got the exedy 400 and love it
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exedy 400 works great
Kstangs2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Thanks for sharing guys! The Exedy 400 is a perfect clutch if you're planning to add boost down the road. It holds 510 ft-lbs of torque and still maintains easy street manners. The Exedy 400 is just a little stiffer than the 350 series.

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I too am running the Mach400 clutch, in my 04 GT. It behaves basically the exact same as my stock clutch did. I will mention not to follow Ford's torque specs on the pressure plate bolts since I'm here, though. I did, and had to use a frankenstention (two extensions and a swivel) to tighten them down through the inspection plate on the trans after the install.. go German spec, gutentite!
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
It's expensive but I went the RAM dual disk clutch and it's freaking crazy.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT