1998 GT pi+cam swap opinons - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
1998 GT pi+cam swap opinons

Alright so I'm leaving for basic training in March. I am gathering parts for my father to install while I'm gone. I already have a cam set up but am looking for opinions on everything that needs to be changed or upgraded during the swap. Ik the cams a going to be a VERY tight fit without notching the pistons. Please let me know what you guys think about my plan and setup thanks

1998 mustang GT

Current Mods:
Stock motor with 162k
Full boltons
Bbk equal length headers
Sport cats with magnaflow exhaust
Spec clutch and flywheel
3.73 gears

Baseline dyno 225hp/293tq

Before tune mods:
Pi intake 2001
Pi Heads- have them, looking into porting options
VT stage 2 NA cams- have them
Comp beehive valve springs- have them Machined OEM valves
New timing chains
All gaskets- have them
SCT iTSX- ordered
24#+ injectors
255lph+ Fuel pump
New spark plugs
AEM digital Wideband a/f gauge
AEM digital Water Temp gauge
2 gauge pillar pod

Custom Tune

Non essential mods:

Off road x pipe
New Cat back with Remote dumps
New hydro boost system
Cobra brakes
Mustangguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Get pistons with the notches for the valves since our cars get a bump in compression and to avoid ptv. Also if your gonna change pistons may i suggest build the bottom end forged crank rods and pistons all that good stuff. Doesn't add power but sure as hell adds durability and allows for more power later
Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You sure you are going to be coming back to the states or going to a place you can take your car?

I've been down this road, I am active military. You may want to hold off on dropping a bunch of money on this car till afterwards. And if you are reserve/guard and guaranteed to come back home then it might be a differnet story but I'd still wait.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #4

I'm Air Guard so I'll be back.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #5

1996mustang, how much do you think building up the short block would cost? And the short block would be needed to be disassembled to notch the pistons, correct? A motor build was def on my list but I planned on it later down the road, so I'm not sure.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Having a shop do it all like MMR? Around 4k IIRC but look at their MMR600/1000/whatever shortblocks on the website.

For a super budget build?

-Re-use your stock block
-$250 for bore/hone
-$200 shipped for Boss rods
-$600 for a good set of forged pistons
-Re-use your crank provided you aren't spinning past 6500 regularly
-ARP studs/other hardware/gaskets/water pump/bearings figure $600-$800

This is also assuming you have a good set of tools, torque wrenches, a clean shop to work in, a good hoist to pull it all out and a stand to work on. Most of that stuff can be got at Harbor Freight cheap and there are always ppl at flea markets selling broken Craftsman stuff for next to nothing which you can take to Sears and have replaced with new.

And I would still wait. Depending on your bonus and how much you can save while at BMT/Tech school you might decide to go a different route.

You also come back with a different mindset which nobody ever seems to take into account. Some guys are back to "normal" pretty quick, some are very different. Some come back with a pregnant Tech School wife lol.

Don't come back with a pregnant girl you met in Tech School...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Having a shop do it all like MMR? Around 4k IIRC but look at their MMR600/1000/whatever shortblocks on the website. For a super budget build? -Re-use your stock block -$250 for bore/hone -$200 shipped for Boss rods -$600 for a good set of forged pistons -Re-use your crank provided you aren't spinning past 6500 regularly -ARP studs/other hardware/gaskets/water pump/bearings figure $600-$800 This is also assuming you have a good set of tools, torque wrenches, a clean shop to work in, a good hoist to pull it all out and a stand to work on. Most of that stuff can be got at Harbor Freight cheap and there are always ppl at flea markets selling broken Craftsman stuff for next to nothing which you can take to Sears and have replaced with new.
would recommend this kind of budget build for my year car Scotty??
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
would recommend this kind of budget build for my year car Scotty??
Its what I'm doing to my 2V. Basic MMR forged pistons/Boss 302 rods and a stock crank is going to be good for more power than most ppl will make. I plan on spinning mine higher than 7k RPM but I got a forged crank.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Its what I'm doing to my 2V. Basic MMR forged pistons/Boss 302 rods and a stock crank is going to be good for more power than most ppl will make. I plan on spinning mine higher than 7k RPM but I got a forged crank.
rods from what year boss 302?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

The Coyote.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
The Coyote.
ah I see. Cool. How far over would you bore the block? Would you need different pistons after that?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to leave mine stock bore if I can.

You get whatever size piston you need.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #13

Wow I didn't know how much of a budget you could do a build on. Here are my cams specs .560/.575 lift, 225/235 .050" duration, 108 LSA. Would it be a lot more power to notch the pistons? Also how much would head porting cost? And is it fine to take it to a local machine shop to have them ported?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

More power to notch the pistons?? I know we all had to start somewhere but you need to learn basic engine building or take yours to a shop before you tear into it.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Piston with the notches on them are to prevent valve being bent by the piston specially if you go stage 2 cams. You have to consider a pi head swap raises our compression due to lower deck height also means valves would touch pistons depending on the cam lobes or brand as well. Its to prevent engine going from start to boom in layman terms. I agree with scotty you may wanna take the time and sit down and read what all is involved in building motors. Not to put u down or anything its just some advice since we here all have been down this road as well not knowing much or any but wanting to do alot. Also agree with scotty.......dont get a tech girl prego. Just makes it bad joo joo. Seen it happen to many shipmates
Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #16

Scotty I know how engines work... I'm saying with valve reliefs in the pistons I could degree the cam and allow the cam to reach its full potential. From what I've heard my cams are going to need to be degreed for valve Clearance not optimum power. Correct?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok I was hoping you didn't mean literally notch them for more power but some of the ppl on here...

You degree them to install them correctly. Obviously you can ****** or advance them but any aftermarket piston should have reliefs to be able to install your cams "straight up".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT