Teskid block details - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Teskid block details

What year mark8's have the teskid block is there a vin number on the block to verify that it is a teskid block?
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

All 93-98s had them. You can tell a teksid by the checkerboard looking pattern in the valley. All 96-99 Cobras also had them and they got the forged cranks too. SOME 01 Cobras had Teksids but most got the WAP, they used up the last remaining blocks in their supply in 01 and transitioned over.

The WAP is a good block but the Teksid is stronger and, IMO, the most desirable block to get. I have one sitting in my garage on a stand right meow awaiting me to get my financial house of cards in order to throw some good rods/pistons into.

That's the way you tell a Teksid, look at the valley and look for that.

2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know some had forged cranks also thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Added some pics for your viewing pleasure. All Cobras had forged cranks, all the Mark VIIIs had cast cranks. I was fortunate enough to get my block out of a 98 Cobra with a blown motor. I paid $250 cash and trashed the stock rods and pistons. And this is why I will stay modular. In pushrod land an aluminum block good for 1000+whp and a Forged crank is $6k...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, all my buddies have LS cars and I have found more mustangs to bring around and I love the arguments lol

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Have to love the fact for like 4 grand you can have a motor good for 1000 hp ready for all the boost lol
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvicar04 View Post
Yea, all my buddies have LS cars and I have found more mustangs to bring around and I love the arguments lol

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Have to love the fact for like 4 grand you can have a motor good for 1000 hp ready for all the boost lol
Um, you can have a SHORTBLOCK ready for that power level. And that's it. Still need a top end, suspension, driveline mods, full chassis reinforcement, fuel system, power adders etc... Figure more like $15-$20k total to build a 700-900hp that will hold together and be safe. And that's on the low end...

Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another source of Mustang info
There are actually four versions of the aluminum blocks. The first is part number F6LZ-6010-AB used in the 1996-1998 Cobra and 1993-1998 Mark VIII cars respectively. They are made in Italy by Teksid who also makes Ferrari engines. The block is an aluminum alloy of SAE 319; it weighs roughly 85 lbs.

The second-generation aluminum block can be found in the 1999 Cobra. The main caps in this block are slightly different as Ford took out the jackscrews. The width of the cap and different size bolt with a higher torque number are also changes in the new block. One thing should be noted that if a 1996-1998 Cobra or 1993-1998 Mark VIII is using this block, the knock sensors will have to be drilled and tapped since the knock sensor holes are smaller than the knock sensor bolts found in the earlier cars. The part number for this block is XR3Z-6010-CA.

The third generation aluminum block is found in the 2001 Cobra. This block is even lighter, weighing in at an amazing 80 lbs. Ford still uses the same SAE 319 aluminum alloy but they add some special ribbing around the block and main bearings. The oil drain-back holes are different in this block, keeping the oil further away from the crankshaft. So far, this block is still experimental; Sean Hyland reports using this block up to 600 HP but because of the lightening and ribbing to “help” it, I would not recommend this block for high HP. I also do not have the part number on this block. I do know for a fact, however, that it can be used up to around 800 rwhp.

The fourth generation is the new Mach 1, Explorer and Marauder block. While the exact information I have is somewhat lacking on this new block, it is slightly lighter and slightly weaker than the 1999 and 2001 Cobra block.
I'm researching all of this in the hopes of one day (like 5-6yrs from now lol) building one up. Much like Scotty above, but he already has the block, plus knows what the hell he's doing lol. Anyways, here's something relevant to your query
Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

1999s had Teksids, maybe a few had the WAP though. In 01 a few Cobras had the Teksid but most had the WAP. All in what was available in the plants where they were being assembled and random acts of god.

All the post Teksid blocks are "WAP" blocks but as with most things on cars there are small changes from year to year. IIRC the Mach blocks are technically called "NVH" or something... I forget.

I made it easy on myself and just got the best setup. One of the last run Teksids with an OEM forged crank. Block good for well over 1000whp which I can't see myself ever approaching and crank good for 8k+ RPM no problem.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I made it easy on myself and just got the best setup. One of the last run Teksids with an OEM forged crank. Block good for well over 1000whp which I can't see myself ever approaching and crank good for 8k+ RPM no problem.
Is what i'm trying to find, as well. All in due time...will eventually get around to ordering the reference materials before asking a myriad of questions. So for now, I live vicariously thru others

Besides, gotta do suspension with that sheer amt of power anyways, so time is best spent doing it first before any delusions of grandeur...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvicar04 View Post
What year mark8's have the teskid block is there a vin number on the block to verify that it is a teskid block?
I've had this question in the back of my head for awhile

So if i got a teksid block, Theoretically i could replace my 03 mustangs block with it no problem?
Thenervemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not theoretically, its a 99% direct swap. There are a few dowels you need to buy for the front cover but other than that they are all interchangeable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT