Best Anti-Freeze - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Best Anti-Freeze

Will the gold anti-freeze at Ford be ideal to use ? I need to buy some , I've heard it's the best

Any tips ..
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I use the amsoil product. Works very well. Easy on aluminum and gaskets. Lowers ECT's.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I use Prestone myself. I don't think that it makes much difference which brand that you use. Here's the the secret though, Slow... You have to use distilled water. It's the minerals in the water that causes aluminum to corrode.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I use Prestone myself. I don't think that it makes much difference which brand that you use. Here's the the secret though, Slow... You have to use distilled water. It's the minerals in the water that causes aluminum to corrode.
Yes thats true and untrue at the same time. The water portion is true, however different antifreezes have different additive packets to them that make them unique per application they are used in. Certain brands meet few of the standards while others out there meet the majority if not all. If you mix certain antifreezes overtime they gel your entire cooling system. GM has been fighting that battle for years now with DexCool. Gels up when mixed with "universal" antifreeze as well as eats up intake gaskets dime a dozen.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LX306 View Post
Yes thats true and untrue at the same time. The water portion is true, however different antifreezes have different additive packets to them that make them unique per application they are used in. Certain brands meet few of the standards while others out there meet the majority if not all. If you mix certain antifreezes overtime they gel your entire cooling system. GM has been fighting that battle for years now with DexCool. Gels up when mixed with "universal" antifreeze as well as eats up intake gaskets dime a dozen.
You DID NOT just mention a GM product on a Mustang website did you?!?!!??
Im gonna let that slide Newb, don't let it happen again...

You have to regularly flush the cooling system. These "long life" anti-freeze products are bound to cause problems.
Here's the rub though, our cars are at an age where it's highly doubtful that the coolant is going to stay in the radiator long enough to go "bad, due to blown hoses, leaky water pumps, etc., it usually gets changed on a regular basis. The coolant can stay in a brand new car for years without being changed.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I ended up getting motorcraft 50/50 disl.
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I ended up getting motorcraft 50/50 disl.
Any thing motorctaft is the best way to go. When it comes to antifreeze, oil filters, cap and rotors, fuel filters motorcraft is the best
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post

You DID NOT just mention a GM product on a Mustang website did you?!?!!??
Im gonna let that slide Newb, don't let it happen again...

You have to regularly flush the cooling system. These "long life" anti-freeze products are bound to cause problems.
Here's the rub though, our cars are at an age where it's highly doubtful that the coolant is going to stay in the radiator long enough to go "bad, due to blown hoses, leaky water pumps, etc., it usually gets changed on a regular basis. The coolant can stay in a brand new car for years without being changed.
Given my point even more. The amsoil product has a sealing agent as well as additives to help it run cooler and wont allow your water jackets to corrode as well as the rest of the cooling system. Older engine run it cooler and seal her up! Its also non toxic so if you have pets, kids, or even break down on the side of the highway its all safe. Thats just my .02 tho

Btw I brought up the GM stuff due to YOU saying they are all the same. Proving that they are far from.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LX306 View Post
Given my point even more. The amsoil product has a sealing agent as well as additives to help it run cooler and wont allow your water jackets to corrode as well as the rest of the cooling system. Older engine run it cooler and seal her up! Its also non toxic so if you have pets, kids, or even break down on the side of the highway its all safe. Thats just my .02 tho

Btw I brought up the GM stuff due to YOU saying they are all the same. Proving that they are far from.
I never said that they were all the same. I said that it doesn't make much difference which brand that you use.
I never, in my wildest, drug induced, hallucinogenic dream, thought that Slow4V might consider using Dexcool, BUT, this thread is titled Best Antifreeze, so I clearly was making a generalization by only taking into consideration the age of Slow's car, the MAKE, the daily driver staus , and Slow's wallet.
Im aware of the specialized coolants and additives that are available for certain applications.
Most of us on here just have Mustangs and other production cars. Nothing too exotic.
I'd be pissed watching my Amsoil running out on the highway. Hell, I'm pissed when I watch my Prestone run out on the road.
My point is; If you don't need the "designer" blends, then why buy them?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT