Transmission Lightly Grinding in Cold Weather - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Transmission Lightly Grinding in Cold Weather

I drove it today and its about 14 out w/some snow. Noticed the gears "grind" when shifting from 3 to 2 and from 3 to neutral to 3. I was wondering if anyone recommends a different transmission fluid for cold weather.
Thenervemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
That's normal ... Just shift really slow till it gets warm
Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ha well i wasnt really worried much at first, but i drove for about an hour and at the end of my commute it kept happening. But ok. Ill just shift slow...allllll winterrrrr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
twenty 26 here this morning. Today I will be short shifting starting out in 2nd to 3rd or skip to 4th from 2nd. Every drive of mine starts with caution when the trans lube is even chilly. Some real cold days it takes a long time to smooth out. The shifting is never 100% perfect. I always have to think about my shifts and not in a good way. I always am thinking, Gee I hope this shift is grind/nibble free one. My car sleeps in an attached garage temp is near 55 when it's 25 outside its not a DD, always dealing with cold shift idiosyncrasy of the MT82 hongkong tranny. I can only imagine the difficulties with real cold shifting if the car was out overnite in the teens....holy hell man! Maybe Ford will come out with an additive for the additive....
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtmoto View Post
twenty 26 here this morning. Today I will be short shifting starting out in 2nd to 3rd or skip to 4th from 2nd. Every drive of mine starts with caution when the trans lube is even chilly. Some real cold days it takes a long time to smooth out. The shifting is never 100% perfect. I always have to think about my shifts and not in a good way. I always am thinking, Gee I hope this shift is grind/nibble free one. My car sleeps in an attached garage temp is near 55 when it's 25 outside its not a DD, always dealing with cold shift idiosyncrasy of the MT82 hongkong tranny. I can only imagine the difficulties with real cold shifting if the car was out overnite in the teens....holy hell man! Maybe Ford will come out with an additive for the additive....
Yeahh. Well ill just be real careful. Maybe double clutch? but my daily drive is basically all highway/interstate driving so i will only have to stop a few times. Maybe ill do the second gear start though and shift less.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Once it warms up it really should be ok honestly. I'd drain the fluid out and put 3 qts of fresh Mercon V in it and see if that helps. I've driven these in all sorts of weather with various different transmissions and even my current t45 that is on the way out was smooth coming in today in 30 degree weather as long as I did not try to powershift (it cant powershift anyway till I rebuild it).
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
That's normal ... Just shift really slow till it gets warm
This may be 'the new normal' but it ain't right. I would call it more common rather than normal. A manual gearbox in a high performance car should have a properly shifting transmission, every one of them, without having to work around niggling little irritations. Missed it by that much Ford....someone needs to get there act together at Ford on this one. It will not be a cheap fix, but it wasn't me that signed off on a substandard gearbox.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Im double clutching now. it works fine, just have to be more defensive when driving. 3-4 and 4-5 is fine though. but yeah this sucks.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Sounds like a bent fork or synchro on the way out honestly.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Sounds like a bent fork or synchro on the way out honestly.
the only reason i doubt that is because it drives so perfectly when temperature is warmer, but im not enough of a car guy to know. Im just gonna live with it and see what happens.

but, just to be clear. are you saying its possibly a fork or synchro since it IS happening in the cold that that is just a small sign of a problem?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Does your tranny leak at all??? Sounds low on fluid or like Scotty said maybe synchro going...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

hmm. idk ive never checked if it leaked. im gonna look when i get home tonight after its parked for awhile.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

ugh you guys are scaring me. this car only has 55k miles on it. What is the cost of new sychro or worst case replacement costs usually?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenervemann View Post
ugh you guys are scaring me. this car only has 55k miles on it. What is the cost of new sychro or worst case replacement costs usually?
My buddy's 04 GT had the trans go out at 30k miles in 2005 but it was under warranty and they just replaced it.

If its a bad synchro then any shop is going to want to do a full rebuild on it. Like I said I'd just replace the fluid with fresh stuff, check for any leaks and see what it does after that. If it is just doing it when its cold and you can beat the crap out of it when its warm then it might very well be as simple as the fluid. Any old Mercon V will do. I just use the Autozone/Advance Auto brand stuff which is like $5/qt IIRC.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys I got the new fluid. I should be changing it soon. Also i cannot shift into first when i go over ~10 mph. Is that normal?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Uh, yeah you should NOT be shifting into 1st unless at a stop or just about at a stop. Is this your first stick shift?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Uh, yeah you should NOT be shifting into 1st unless at a stop or just about at a stop. Is this your first stick shift?
Yeah its my first manual car. I dont shift right to first, always to second before first, unless i dont fully stop then just keep it in second. Only reason I ask is since when i first learned it was on a legacy and the owner told me to shift into first hold in the clutch and just brake fore stops so when i first started driving i tried it once and it didnt work so i never really did it again.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

That owner was a dip****, all that does is put extra wear on the throwout bearing, also can jack up 1st if the car doesn't want to go into gear and you force it. Just put it in neutral and stop like you would with an auto or downshift and engine brake if you like that sort of stuff. IMO its much easier to do the brakes than the clutch. $.02

Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: California
I brake with it in gear and put in neutral right before it turns off
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'll rev match / down shift and brake at the same time
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok guys i changed the fluid. I know some places say 3.2 quarts, some say til it comes out the hole. I found something that says .75 inches below the hole. Ended up putting in 3.2 quarts didnt seem enough so i was like well ill just measure what came out... ended up having 5 quarts come out. Put in 4 quarts in the end which was approx .75 in below the hole. whatever. its done. still nibbles.

found this..

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/04-15-06.pdf
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
5 quarts is way too much.
3.2 is the right amount.
Hopefully that solves your problem...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

5 qts... looks like some idiot dumped 5 qts in through the shifter or added fluid for no good reason. The CORRECT way to do it is to drain it all, put the bottom plug back, pull the top plug, fill through the shifter with the car level and have a buddy down there to let you know when it starts to spill out of the top hole. When it does, just stop, button it all up and go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT