Suspension "combo kit" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Suspension "combo kit"

Anyone have experience with the SR Performance Spring and Camber Plate kit?

I was wondering if this is a decent kit to lower my car, for the price. Cost is $299.99.

Or, would i be better buying other brand items separately?

Last question; what is the difference between from a 3 bolt and 4 bolt camber plate. Aside from the One bolt?

Only looking to lower the car about 1.5 inches. But i'm looking to do a quality job.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Anyone have experience with the SR Performance Spring and Camber Plate kit? I was wondering if this is a decent kit to lower my car, for the price. Cost is $299.99. Or, would i be better buying other brand items separately? Last question; what is the difference between from a 3 bolt and 4 bolt camber plate. Aside from the One bolt? Only looking to lower the car about 1.5 inches. But i'm looking to do a quality job.
I'd say it would be decent ,
Springs don't really matter unless you get coil overs , the extra bolt is probably for more alignment adjustments.
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I'd say it would be decent , Springs don't really matter unless you get coil overs , the extra bolt is probably for more alignment adjustments.
kinda figured about the 4th bolt, but wasn't sure. Ever have any experience with SR products, i've only ever messed with their cold air intakes on my V6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
kinda figured about the 4th bolt, but wasn't sure. Ever have any experience with SR products, i've only ever messed with their cold air intakes on my V6.
Any reviews online ?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well yes, however, being a house brand, i think AM would try to keep their Reviews as positive as possible. So i'd like to see if anyone here has actually had experience with them. I know when i got my SR cold air intake, that thing was rusting up real good in less than a year. But i never saw my review posted on AM. So i figure we're all honest car guys, here. I'm sure someone out there has to be eager to either bash them or glorify them.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Well yes, however, being a house brand, i think AM would try to keep their Reviews as positive as possible. So i'd like to see if anyone here has actually had experience with them. I know when i got my SR cold air intake, that thing was rusting up real good in less than a year. But i never saw my review posted on AM. So i figure we're all honest car guys, here. I'm sure someone out there has to be eager to either bash them or glorify them.
Your review never made it on the site?
And you stated that it rusted over time?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
Your review never made it on the site? And you stated that it rusted over time?
yep, submitted it maybe 6 months or so ago, but, i always give the benefit of the doubt, because theres always the possibility it didn't get submitted. That sucker rusted so fast, it was unbelievable. But i never trust house brand reviews, like Amazon Kindle, ect.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yep, submitted it maybe 6 months or so ago, but, i always give the benefit of the doubt, because theres always the possibility it didn't get submitted. That sucker rusted so fast, it was unbelievable. But i never trust house brand reviews, like Amazon Kindle, ect.
Try latemodelresto

Can't believe their cold air intake

Smh
Old 11-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Try latemodelresto Can't believe their cold air intake Smh
What happened to yours ?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ive used quite a few SR products on my Foxbody, but no suspension parts to think of. Of the parts ive used, ive had no problems with them (TB, plenum, short throw shifter). Id say cut your stock springs, but I know you want to do it "right". And with 1.5 drop, you might get away without needing cc plates. Just some food for thought.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Ive used quite a few SR products on my Foxbody, but no suspension parts to think of. Of the parts ive used, ive had no problems with them (TB, plenum, short throw shifter). Id say cut your stock springs, but I know you want to do it "right". And with 1.5 drop, you might get away without needing cc plates. Just some food for thought.
So in your opinion, is the SR products you've used worth the cash you put out? Would ya buy again for the price?
And also, i'd totally cut the springs, BUT, if i cut them too low, my aftermarket front bumper is going to scrape like no other. So i'm getting the aftermarkets just incase i have to swap back to stock.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah for sure they were worth it. I've been tooling around the idea of buying thier LCA's cause I've heard good things about them too, but I've yet to pull the trigger. Some say the only thing you need to do with the SR LCA's, is go with some better bushings.

And on the cutting springs topic, I did it to both my cars, and and very happy with the results. The key is to take a little off at a time. But if you've got the cash, and for reasons like you stated, might as Well just get the kit. I'd say go for It, especially since it has the cc plates. I think it'll be fine for a DD (which I'm going out on a limb here and assuming is your purpose).

***resident gun idiot***
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The SR CC plates are garbage. Don't buy them, your better off not getting them. I had them on for a week and had to take them off and send them back and get the MM plates. The SR plates were terrible, they banged on every bump. Installed the MM plates and it was a night and day difference. The springs are fine from what I have heard but you would enjoy the H&R supersports much more, I love them. But just say NO to SR CC plates!!
Follow on Instagram @steviesstangs
15% off waxgods.com use code: manic15
10% off toplabel.com use code: Manic10
Steve96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve96 View Post
The SR CC plates are garbage. Don't buy them, your better off not getting them. I had them on for a week and had to take them off and send them back and get the MM plates. The SR plates were terrible, they banged on every bump. Installed the MM plates and it was a night and day difference. The springs are fine from what I have heard but you would enjoy the H&R supersports much more, I love them. But just say NO to SR CC plates!!
Well, there you go, some first hand experience!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I keep saying stuff on this and other forums like "you get what you pay for" when it comes to that econo/budget stuff.

Doesn't surprise me that the SR CAI rusts like a mofo, its just polished metal, no **** its going to rust without a good powdercoat and not being stainless. For the SR shifter/TB/Plenum... guarandamntee that you are losing performance/power over the good name brand stuff like a Tri-Ax shifter and an Accufab/Dragon combo. Yeah money is saved but your parts are junk.

As far as suspension... if there was EVER a category of car parts you do NOT want to buy cheap parts it is suspension. Spend the extra $70 and get the good MM plates and you will thank yourself later.

AM is great for name brand parts because of the free shipping and all but don't trust the reviews on the site. Hell I bought a T handle from them a few months ago that was TRASH. Posted a review about how bad it was and never saw the review go up. I post a review on Amazon positive or negative and it goes live in like 2 minutes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ehh, i haven't had it dynoed, but its on a car with a vortech, and I have no problems with keeping up with my buddies stock ls1 camaro; So i won't complain. But since your so dead set in me losing power, go ahead and buy the parts, and ill do a before and after dyno. If they post a considerable difference, I'll pay you what the parts cost.

Heck, I have thier short throw in my new edge too, and sure its not a mgw, but its the smoothest shifter I've felt besides that one. And the price difference is not worth it to me unless I find a used one and a whicked good deal. And yes, I've tried a tri ax, and pro 5.0 to name a few in other friends cars.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
man, you're killin me. Shoulda posted this up last night! I ended up buying both springs and cc plates separately off the black friday deal. So it came out to like $270 compared to 360 with the combo kit with isolators included. So worse comes to worse, i'll take um off and sell um, go the route you went and pick up some MM plates. I daily drive my car, but very little. I've put about 4500 miles on it in a year, so who knows. Maybe i won't notice anything, thanks for the input though. Like i said, you'll almost never see that on the AM comments.

As for the CAI i bought from them, its not the fact it rusted; so much as how far gone it was within a year of it being on there. I'm not talkin surface rust, i'm talking entire corners nearly eaten through. It was nuts.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well they do have a good return policy, so there's that lol

Hopefully it won't get to that point though. Let us know what happens.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's why I never ever shop on AM anymore

Couldn't even give me hardware for a chin spoiler,

AM is trash the site just looks cool and friendly haha

Try latemodelresto.com

The guys there are real friendly and products are good quality .. Might be a little bit more though.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

I got my seat skins through LRS. I mean I could have ordered direct from TMI or went through CJP too but all transactions I have had with them were smooth. Even when I got some weird *** part I didn't order and the email system wasn't helping I went on the corral and PM'd the owner and like 5 minutes later the issue was resolved. Stand up company.

Hell, I've been using them since they were 50Resto.com way back in the day.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Ehh, i haven't had it dynoed, but its on a car with a vortech, and I have no problems with keeping up with my buddies stock ls1 camaro; So i won't complain. But since your so dead set in me losing power, go ahead and buy the parts, and ill do a before and after dyno. If they post a considerable difference, I'll pay you what the parts cost.

Heck, I have thier short throw in my new edge too, and sure its not a mgw, but its the smoothest shifter I've felt besides that one. And the price difference is not worth it to me unless I find a used one and a whicked good deal. And yes, I've tried a tri ax, and pro 5.0 to name a few in other friends cars.
I'm not saying that the stuff you bought isn't better than stock as far as performance, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the build quality is going to be crap compared to the high end stuff and in the end it is just a rip off of other company's designs.

For example, I would not trust that shifter's spring mechanism (if there is one) to hit 3rd like the Tri-Ax does, forget smoothness . Also does the SR TB have a ball bearing setup to keep the throttle blade from sticking, is the throttle shaft slotted, is the inlet radiused etc... Plenum... all depends on who they copied. Accufab and TFS consistently produce more power than the other brands proven on dyno sheets. And then there is the wonder that is Chinese quality control...

Again, you always get what you pay for and if you are having good luck with the SR stuff more power to you. Personally I will not let it come near my car as SR is the same thing as "Pro Products" that is a company that makes cheap Chinese ripoff copies of Edelbrock stuff among others.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

I'm not saying that the stuff you bought isn't better than stock as far as performance, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the build quality is going to be crap compared to the high end stuff and in the end it is just a rip off of other company's designs.

For example, I would not trust that shifter's spring mechanism (if there is one) to hit 3rd like the Tri-Ax does, forget smoothness . Also does the SR TB have a ball bearing setup to keep the throttle blade from sticking, is the throttle shaft slotted, is the inlet radiused etc... Plenum... all depends on who they copied. Accufab and TFS consistently produce more power than the other brands proven on dyno sheets. And then there is the wonder that is Chinese quality control...

Again, you always get what you pay for and if you are having good luck with the SR stuff more power to you. Personally I will not let it come near my car as SR is the same thing as "Pro Products" that is a company that makes cheap Chinese ripoff copies of Edelbrock stuff among others.
And I'm not saying that the SR products are as good as the name brands either. If I was building a race car, using it for my bread and butter, I wouldn't be cheaping out on parts. But for my purpose, it works fine. Its not for everybody, but for me its the best fit between price and performance. I actually hated the tri ax, I still would miss 3rd. Spring didnt really help at all. I had to tinker with the shifter bracket to get it just right, and even then. The only one I never would get hung up on was the mgw. But its different for everybody pending on body type. I've got a short reach, so I need more of an angle on the grip than most. And I sure as hell don't want to pay twice, almost three times the price to have the same issue.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got my seat skins through LRS. I mean I could have ordered direct from TMI or went through CJP too but all transactions I have had with them were smooth. Even when I got some weird *** part I didn't order and the email system wasn't helping I went on the corral and PM'd the owner and like 5 minutes later the issue was resolved. Stand up company. Hell, I've been using them since they were 50Resto.com way back in the day.
Same here when I had my 86 fox
Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
man, you're killin me. Shoulda posted this up last night! I ended up buying both springs and cc plates separately off the black friday deal. So it came out to like $270 compared to 360 with the combo kit with isolators included. So worse comes to worse, i'll take um off and sell um, go the route you went and pick up some MM plates. I daily drive my car, but very little. I've put about 4500 miles on it in a year, so who knows. Maybe i won't notice anything, thanks for the input though. Like i said, you'll almost never see that on the AM comments. As for the CAI i bought from them, its not the fact it rusted; so much as how far gone it was within a year of it being on there. I'm not talkin surface rust, i'm talking entire corners nearly eaten through. It was nuts.
You won't have to sell them, you can send them back to AM. Their not supposed to sound like they did on mine, you will know right away if yours are junk too. It's a sound like your strut is coming thru your hood, and banging like no other. I called AM and they said this is common and most of their SR CC plates come back. My car is a garage queen to so it won't matter how much you drive it, if their bad their bad and my were bad before they even went on.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

But others have used them and been fine. You will just have to find out. I found at that I didn't even really need the CC plates when I got it aligned, they said they could have got it back into spec with the stock adjustments, or very close to it. But some people need them and some don't for the allignment aspect.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are lowered you should have them. If SR is having THAT many problems with their CC plates that should tell you about the quality of that and other SR products. Again, chinese ripoff no quality CRAP. Won't let it come anywhere near my car but that's me.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just personal experience. I was in the same bind wanted a lowered car but not necessarily didn't have the money just didn't want to spend money all in suspension because other things are wanted. When it came down to it, not saying it's the case, you pay what you get for. Springs are springs get whatever you want to lower and handle. CC plates go steel and as best as you can. I've got maximum motorsports cc plates on the way. Anything on your car other than appearance is very important, just ask yourself would you want a cheap set of brakes that may or may not stop or go name brand that you know will work.
02GtRespect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GtRespect View Post
Just personal experience. I was in the same bind wanted a lowered car but not necessarily didn't have the money just didn't want to spend money all in suspension because other things are wanted. When it came down to it, not saying it's the case, you pay what you get for. Springs are springs get whatever you want to lower and handle. CC plates go steel and as best as you can. I've got maximum motorsports cc plates on the way. Anything on your car other than appearance is very important, just ask yourself would you want a cheap set of brakes that may or may not stop or go name brand that you know will work.
let me know how the Maximum Motorsport CC plates work out for you. Might invest in some if these SP plates turn out to be Duds.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
let me know how the Maximum Motorsport CC plates work out for you. Might invest in some if these SP plates turn out to be Duds.
I'm running them on my 98 and DD it when its not going to have precipitation. Dead silent, alignment is perfect, top notch quality pretty much everything you could ask for.

Again, pay the extra $$$ for a quality part ESPECIALLY on something where if it fails you could be on your way off the road or worse.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm running them on my 98 and DD it when its not going to have precipitation. Dead silent, alignment is perfect, top notch quality pretty much everything you could ask for. Again, pay the extra $$$ for a quality part ESPECIALLY on something where if it fails you could be on your way off the road or worse.
+1000 MM plates are the best if you ask me. Like Scotty said, quiet and perfect alignment. Wouldn't use anything else after my experience. But who knows you may get a quality set and be fine. Let us know how it turns out. Don't get discouraged you can always fix it as AM will let you return them if you have issues. Just spend 50-60 bucks more if need be and get the MM plates if that's the case. Again let us know I'm curious how they will work for you. Good luck, and lowering it will make your jaw drop and is sooooo satisfying.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
I'm running them on my 98 and DD it when its not going to have precipitation. Dead silent, alignment is perfect, top notch quality pretty much everything you could ask for. Again, pay the extra $$$ for a quality part ESPECIALLY on something where if it fails you could be on your way off the road or worse.
+1 Running MM c/c plates on my lowered '02 GT. I haven't tried any other plates because these were a dream. They're beefy and dead silent with easy multi-directional adjustment. Not to mention they look fantastic. Don't go cheap..

If I can do the build I'm doing on the budget I have and not cheap out then anyone can spend the extra money.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT