Cam or supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Cam or supercharger

YEs, this may seem like a "dumb" question. But I'm torn between the two. I have the option of one or the other.

The main reasons I'm doubting the supercharger is mainly because I have high miles. If I were to get one I would more than likely get a vortech v3, non intercooler mainly because I would be more than happy with the horsepower that produces. But then again, the high miles scare me.

The cams on the other hand... EVERYONE loves the sound of a cammed car, and although for nearly the same price as a supercharger, their lack of producing the same power makes me doubt getting cams...but it would be easier and safer on my motor.

---139,xxx miles
---Daily driver
---Track rarely (although will be going a lot more often here soon)

Also, on the topic of superchargers, what are opinions on Paxton novi? If I were to go the supercharger route, I would go non intercooler for the time being.

I'd love to hear opinions!
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Boost! Vortech and Paxton are the same company i believe. All in the tune for a daily drive and intercool if you can but low boost should be good.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Boost! Vortech and Paxton are the same company i believe.
how long should I expect my internals with that many miles to last :/ lol
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No idea. Some get a compression test done. I would boost these and save to forge. Once they go you can forge and crank up the boost. Intercooled of course.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Boost! Vortech and Paxton are the same company i believe. All in the tune for a daily drive and intercool if you can but low boost should be good.
thats what I hear, I have a shop right around the corner from me that does great work. They've built a 1200 hp ford gt TT , and a 1300 hp jeep srt8 so more than likely I'd get them to tune me up lol!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Get cams once you forge and do it while the engine is apart anyway. Then you can have both and have cams that work better for a blower.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
For a daily driver, Vortech all the way. Do a leakdown/compression test or have that shop do it and if it comes back good then go for it. Price will be about the same buying new, you need a tune either way. Cams will sound better yeah but you'll make a solid 100whp more with the Vortech and retain stock gas mileage and driveability as well. The Vortech is really only going to hit starting in the mid 3k RPM range so if you keep it out of boost its just like driving around with just bolt ons.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately mpg's drop usually because of the heavy foot you learn to love lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
For a daily driver, Vortech all the way. Do a leakdown/compression test or have that shop do it and if it comes back good then go for it. Price will be about the same buying new, you need a tune either way. Cams will sound better yeah but you'll make a solid 100whp more with the Vortech and retain stock gas mileage and driveability as well. The Vortech is really only going to hit starting in the mid 3k RPM range so if you keep it out of boost its just like driving around with just bolt ons.
I plan on piecing together a kit, my question is with the headunit (v3) what piping will I need (non intercooler) is it the same for all the kits? I will also be purchasing a 90mm lightning maf, injectors , and either focus pump or gt pumps.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The lightning is good and is a blow through maf but will require some modification to operate on our cars. There's a whole piece together thread on the corral I believe and on modded mustangs. Or google vortech install guide for our cars. It shows some if not all of the assemblies needed if I remember correctly.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If it makes u fell any better I got 153000 on my stock 2v and I've been spraying 125 shoot sense 105000 , they strong motor just don't go over 420 HP
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy d View Post
If it makes u fell any better I got 153000 on my stock 2v and I've been spraying 125 shoot sense 105000 , they strong motor just don't go over 420 HP
what do you dyno at with the 125 shot? Any bolt ons?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Biggest issue now with piecing together a vortech kit is the word is out on how cheap everything else is and just getting a good headunit is a $800+ proposition and that's a V1. Used to be $500-$600 a few years ago...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
cam...and supercharger lol
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
cam...and supercharger lol
You'd be surprised at how many people do this and THEN realize that their bottom end isn't going to be able to take any more power than the supercharger would make on its own without cams.

Kind of like the pushrod guys who put fully forged rotating assemblies and a full HCI with a blower onto a stock block and then see the guy with the JY explorer motor making the same numbers that they can't get past because the block will let go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT