Nothing in the front cylinder passenger side. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Nothing in the front cylinder passenger side.

I'm stumped. The cylinder closest to the front on the passenger side is not firing. I pulled the coil out and used it to check the spark plug. It has a strong spark. I put in a new injector. Tested the power to the injector with the noid light. No problems there. Took the fuel rail off to see if maybe it was blocked. No problem there. So I did a compression test. 110lbs. The only thing I can think of would be a wiped cam lobe. Any thoughts? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
loganf1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganf1221 View Post
I'm stumped. The cylinder closest to the front on the passenger side is not firing. I pulled the coil out and used it to check the spark plug. It has a strong spark. I put in a new coil. Tested the power to the coil. No problems there. Took the fuel rail off to see if maybe it was blocked. No problem there. So I did a compression test. 110lbs. The only thing I can think of would be a wiped cam lobe. Any thoughts? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have you tried noid lights and or checking injector pulse on that cylinder? Ohm out the injector on the cylinder in question.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, I meant to say injector in the second part. Just edited it. My bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

To check cam lobe.. do a leak down test.. or just pull valve cover to check valve train for exessive wear on cam lobes, collapsed or damaged valve spring.. RARE! (You can reuse the gaskets $70 bucks if not)
ive had a few where I had to run a new signal wire from the computer to that injector(4.6 truck) RARE..

most of the time its the coils... swap them with another cylinder. . Make sure the boots are not damaged and the pig tail connector. .
Illdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh check engine light on? If so code?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illdrag View Post
To check cam lobe.. do a leak down test.. or just pull valve cover to check valve train for exessive wear on cam lobes, collapsed or damaged valve spring.. RARE! (You can reuse the gaskets $70 bucks if not)
ive had a few where I had to run a new signal wire from the computer to that injector(4.6 truck) RARE..

most of the time its the coils... swap them with another cylinder. . Make sure the boots are not damaged and the pig tail connector. .
Great. I'll try the leak down test. I already checked the power to the injector and found that it is getting power. Also replaced the injector itself. I've checked the coils already. Pulled the coil for the cylinder out and left it hooked up with the spark plug in it and started the car to check the spark. It had a strong spark, so I know it's not the coil.

Also, the check engine light is on. It says something about low MAF or VAF readings. (But trough most of this, I had the intake unhooked)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

What color was the spark.. White, blue or yellow? How do you know this cylinder isnt firing if the computer is not giving you a code? How many miles on vehicle? And what is the engine doing exactly?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What color was the spark.. White, blue or yellow? How do you know this cylinder isnt firing if the computer is not giving you a code? How many miles on vehicle? And what is the engine doing exactly?
Honestly, I didn't really pay attention to the color of the spark. I know the cylinder isn't firing because when I start the car and then pull off the power to the coil or to the injector for that one, nothing changes, while the engine stutters if I do the same for any of the other 7. 70,500 miles on the car. But hadn't run in 3 years before I bought it and got it running for the most part on Sunday. I did the leak test and as it turns out, the cylinder is leaking to the crank case. I know this only because I took off the valve cover after doing the test 3 times getting different results, then heard the air escaping through the holes that let the oil down to the crank case.
First of all, thanks for the suggestion of the leak test. Knowing what I now know, what would you suggest? Where could the air be leaking from?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Maybe a cracked head 😡
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. But I got a great deal on the car in the first place so I think I'm going to go ahead and keep working. If I have to do that much on it, maybe I'll even have it built. Gotta look at the bright side, right?
Old 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ewww.. are you sure its blowing into the crank case? NOT GOOD. Thats bad head or gasket by oil gallery. Piston rings, or the piston it self. Now if its blowing through the intake or exhaust pipe. Carbon build up, collaspe lifter or spring. Broken rocker arm. Damaged or worn cam lobe. Bad valve or valve seats.

If you cant see any visible damage with yhe valve cover off.. get yourself a video probe and take a look at the clyinder through spark plug hole.. inspect your valves if really gunked up, clean them then look for cracks or chips or even a gap between the valve and head...and check piston wall for scoring.. clear sign you have ring and piston issues... that's all I have for now.. the only thing that makes me lean towards a valve issue because you had compression. . Let me know what ya find and if you have anymore questions. ..
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ewww.. are you sure its blowing into the crank case? NOT GOOD. Thats bad head or gasket by oil gallery. Piston rings, or the piston it self. Now if its blowing through the intake or exhaust pipe. Carbon build up, collaspe lifter or spring. Broken rocker arm. Damaged or worn cam lobe. Bad valve or valve seats.

If you cant see any visible damage with yhe valve cover off.. get yourself a video probe and take a look at the clyinder through spark plug hole.. inspect your valves if really gunked up, clean them then look for cracks or chips or even a gap between the valve and head...and check piston wall for scoring.. clear sign you have ring and piston issues... that's all I have for now.. the only thing that makes me lean towards a valve issue because you had compression. . Let me know what ya find and if you have anymore questions. ..
Unfortunately, I am sure. I took off the valve cover last night and did the leak down test. I had the compressor running through for a good 20-30+ minutes trying to figure it out. I had the intake off as well. I could hear the air escaping but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I checked the exhaust, checked the throttle body, and no air coming from either of them. I had my hands all around the engine looking for the location of the leak. Finally, I thought to put my finger in one of the holes that let oil move between the camshaft and the crank case and that was the source of the air.

There was definitely no visible damage with the valve cover off. I unhooked all of the coils and turned the engine to make sure all of the springs and valves are ok. No problems there. I'll see about getting a video probe soon and let you know how that turns out. As far as the compression, I read on here that 110psi doesn't cut it.

But I'll try to get that video probe and see what I find. Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT