Trick Flow Heads & 5.0 Stroker - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Trick Flow Heads & 5.0 Stroker

So I found a place that has both Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads and a full 4.6-5.0 Stroker setup. I'm wondering what type of gains I might see with these. Hoping to get individual numbers and combined numbers if I can. The rest of my car is stock, as I just got it. I was planning on doing pretty much just bolt-ons, but I think I'm going to have to pull the engine out anyway to fix something and am considering starting something like this while I have the chance. I'm hoping to get numbers separate as well as combined because I don't know if I want to put 2-3k into it. Also, would I need much for the heads other than the heads themselves? I'm not sure whether or not anything else comes with them. THANKS!!
loganf1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Do you have a link to this place?

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: California
2-3k will get you the heads MAYBE lol

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

2v TF heads aren't for the modder on a budget that's for sure lol
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm getting a good deal on them from a friend. He's replacing his engine and not reusing them, so he's letting me get it relatively. I just want to know what type of numbers I might see if I do get them. That would be great.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Well if you do just the heads you won't see much if anything. You'll need to do the cams too, fuel system, if its a stroker setup then the whole motor is going to come out/bored/forged/put back in. Then suspension to get the power to the ground, safety items, wheels/tires etc... Not cheap. I mean if you have the funds and another car to DD then the winter is a GREAT time to do it all. Just don't think it's going to be a few $thousand and go. To PROPERLY do a stroker and get the rest of the car to reliably support it you are looking at a $10k+ investment.

And you still won't make the power you would if you just supercharged...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganf1221 View Post
I'm getting a good deal on them from a friend. He's replacing his engine and not reusing them, so he's letting me get it relatively. I just want to know what type of numbers I might see if I do get them. That would be great.
oh alright cool. But if you get those heads def get a new cam for them. You will have tons more clearance than you would have with your stock heads! And if you get a good cam make sure you have a decent gear ratio in your car to make up for the power you lost down low. Either way good stuff! I wanna get those heads too! I have to money to get them and all kinds if stuff but I have other stuff besides my car I need to worry about first lol! Post up some pics of the heads when you get them!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Will do! although I still don't know if I'm getting them yet. Money is tight. Haha. Given a decent set of cams, what kind of gains might I see? If I do this, what other upgrades/bolt ons would be best to throw on with this, or maybe a bit later? I'd guess opening up the exhaust with something like 2.5s & o/r mid pipe would be really beneficial, correct? Intake as well? Any other recommendations?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

You should be doing all the bolt ons FIRST. If money is tight doing a set of heads/cams/tune is probably not the best idea and I'm not trying to discourage you just a dose of reality.

Again, you can't buy JUST the heads and a set of cams is $600, degree service is another $200 with the crank gear, tune is $600, exhaust/gears/pullies/subframes is $1000-$1500 and then suspension and wheels and tires to get it all to the ground is going to be $2k minimum for something that actually works.

This also doesn't include any nickel/dime stuff or things you find that need replacing along the way or labor if you aren't doing it yourself.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You should be doing all the bolt ons FIRST. If money is tight doing a set of heads/cams/tune is probably not the best idea and I'm not trying to discourage you just a dose of reality.

Again, you can't buy JUST the heads and a set of cams is $600, degree service is another $200 with the crank gear, tune is $600, exhaust/gears/pullies/subframes is $1000-$1500 and then suspension and wheels and tires to get it all to the ground is going to be $2k minimum for something that actually works.

This also doesn't include any nickel/dime stuff or things you find that need replacing along the way or labor if you aren't doing it yourself.
Thanks Dad
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Road Trip!

You don't NEED all that stuff for just cams/heads. It's. Good idea to do full bolt ons first but you don't HAVE to. Gears you prolly will though because your low end will suck.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Thanks Dad
No problem, I've found that most ppl on here have never even done a catback install much less a full HCI on "limited funds" and sometimes need real world experience/advice from those of us who have.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Heh, I just finished a 3 week long suspension overhaul on my S10. I had a $700 drop kit, and spent over $200 in new bushings and balljoints to do a complete job. After it was all said and done, I easily eclipsed another $200 plus in misc expenses, hardware, paint, alignment, etc.
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #13

Region: Canada
As stated, you dont see much in way of numbers. The heads are overkill on a bolt on NA car as they dont get used to their full potential.
Stroker adds some low end torque that does make the car feel much more powerful.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT