Lots of Noise with Stock Shift Knob - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 3
Lots of Noise with Stock Shift Knob

So I tried to search extensively on Google for some info but I couldn't really find anything. I just purchased an 03 GT and I noticed TONS of noise while shifting. I then noticed that if I had my hand on the knob that the noise would increase. I went ahead and took the knob off and shifted with just the shaft and 90% of the noise went away.

Has anyone had this happen. How did you fix it? Is there something you can stuff in there? My friend is looking for the stock knob off his Mach 1 tomorrow and I'm gonna try that if he can locate it.

Also, I noticed some play in the shaft below the rubber grommet. The two upper bolts were very tight, though. Maybe the previous owner had a short throw and removed it or something but does that normally cause noise? Thanks in advance for the help.
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Id just upgrade to an mgw shifter and upgrade the shift knob while you're at it.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Id just upgrade to an mgw shifter and upgrade the shift knob while you're at it.
I've read that that would create all sorts of noise as well haha. I remember the Hurst on my Shelby GT was extremely annoying.
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
The mgw is quiet and is better than any on the market imo
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 16,785
The MGW is near as quiet as a stock shifter plus they include a fitted piece of dynamat to put around it to make it near silent. I still like my Tri-Ax but that's a debate for another time.

You could have some piece rattling around in the stock shifter knob or something, are you sure your shifter (not the lever, the actual shifter) is stock? If its aftermarket besides the MGW they will all make noticibly more noise. Can be quieted down with CobraBob gaskets and you can buy a piece of dynamat and cut it to fit yourscrelf as well.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
I bought a mgw shifter and got a lot of gear noise after the mgw. The stock shifter was silent, so I bought cobra bob's gasket and noticed a little more difference but still not much. IMO best bet would be dynomat, that's what I'll have to do also
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas
Region: Texas
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The MGW is near as quiet as a stock shifter plus they include a fitted piece of dynamat to put around it to make it near silent. I still like my Tri-Ax but that's a debate for another time.

You could have some piece rattling around in the stock shifter knob or something, are you sure your shifter (not the lever, the actual shifter) is stock? If its aftermarket besides the MGW they will all make noticibly more noise. Can be quieted down with CobraBob gaskets and you can buy a piece of dynamat and cut it to fit yourscrelf as well.
It looks stock as can be and I would say the throws are pretty long. Longer than my stock FRS. Though it feels considerably notchier than my friend's Mach 1 (on the flipside my reverse works perfectly unlike so many others). It actually feels pretty terrible but I don't have the cash to blow on a short throw since I have to buy Christmas presents . Is it possible to buy a small piece of dynamat? Everything I've seen is a kit for large portions of the car.
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO5T5NIPER View Post
I bought a mgw shifter and got a lot of gear noise after the mgw. The stock shifter was silent, so I bought cobra bob's gasket and noticed a little more difference but still not much. IMO best bet would be dynomat, that's what I'll have to do also
And I also bought royal purple manual transmission fluid and that didnt do a whole lot for noise part but its beautifully smooth, except when its cold..
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 16,785
Royal Purple fluid is nothing special in my experience. Having NEW fluid in there probably did more for you than anything. I run basic Mercon V autozone brand in mine and it shifts nice and smooth unless I try to power shift it and that's not the fluid's fault thats a 120k mile T-45 on the way out.

Like I said the new MGW shifters COME with a piece of dynamat already, the older ones did not. And I will still go for the tri-ax any day still. IMO the MGW is more of a DD street car shifter and the tri-ax is meant for slamming the **** out of the gears.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Royal Purple fluid is nothing special in my experience. Having NEW fluid in there probably did more for you than anything. I run basic Mercon V autozone brand in mine and it shifts nice and smooth unless I try to power shift it and that's not the fluid's fault thats a 120k mile T-45 on the way out.

Like I said the new MGW shifters COME with a piece of dynamat already, the older ones did not. And I will still go for the tri-ax any day still. IMO the MGW is more of a DD street car shifter and the tri-ax is meant for slamming the **** out of the gears.
Is the dynomat on mgw's somewhere inside the shifter? I just bought and installed mine about 2 or 3 months ago and I don't remember seeing any dynomat
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 16,785
Its supossed to come as a piece that goes over the shifter after you put it in. Its in their install video, would be pretty ****ty of them if it isn't coming with the new gen 2 shifters.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Its supossed to come as a piece that goes over the shifter after you put it in. Its in their install video, would be pretty ****ty of them if it isn't coming with the new gen 2 shifters.
Yeah I have the 2nd gen shifter, ill have to find the box and see if its in there, got me curious now
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 16,785
Well like I said its in the vid. If its not there call them and be like "wtf mate?". There are 18x32" pieces for sale on the evilbays for $30 shipped too from a quickie search. That's enough to do 3 cars at least.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
GHO5T5NIPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Well like I said its in the vid. If its not there call them and be like "wtf mate?". There are 18x32" pieces for sale on the evilbays for $30 shipped too from a quickie search. That's enough to do 3 cars at least.
Just looked in the box and guess what was at the very bottom of it? Haha
GHO5T5NIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 16,785
Lol, been there. Hopefully there was no dumpster diving or garbage can digging to get to the box. Been there too... bonus points if you've just picked up the dog poop in the yard.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:00 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.