Bouncy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Bouncy

I've been noticing my ride is getting a bit bouncy
And is kind of rough..

I've had my Tokico HP struts and shocks for about 2 years,
And cut springs..

Any ideas ?

And when I hit bumps or pot holes it hits hard
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
You need to match your struts/shocks to your springs. Your struts/shocks probably wore out quickly.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
How much tread is left on your tires?
It's surprising how much worse the ride gets as the tires wear out.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
You need to match your struts/shocks to your springs. Your struts/shocks probably wore out quickly.
I keep hearing people mention this and have no clue what you are referring to...
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I keep hearing people mention this and have no clue what you are referring to...
Me too.
I can understand the matching the struts and shocks to the springs but the wearing out part stumps me as well.
I think that Slow has stock springs that have been cut.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt

Me too.
I can understand the matching the struts and shocks to the springs but the wearing out part stumps me as well.
I think that Slow has stock springs that have been cut.
What are people matching? That's what I am confused about.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

What are people matching? That's what I am confused about.
The manufacturer sets a spring rate and how low the struts can handle on a car. I know Maximum Motorsports has a couple charts showing the various recommendations for the struts and shocks they sell
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
What are people matching? That's what I am confused about.
Well 2 things mainly
1)try to stick to the same brand
2) make sure the shock/strut is designed for a certain length spring/#
stock shocks/struts aren't designed for cut or aftermarket springs (with a big drop <1) that's why they wear out quickly.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF

The manufacturer sets a spring rate and how low the struts can handle on a car. I know Maximum Motorsports has a couple charts showing the various recommendations for the struts and shocks they sell
Correct

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
Well 2 things mainly
1)try to stick to the same brand
2) make sure the shock/strut is designed for a certain length spring/#
stock shocks/struts aren't designed for cut or aftermarket springs (with a big drop <1) that's why they wear out quickly.
What does brand have to do with anything. I have two different spring brands on my car with another shock/strut brand. Best riding mustang i've been in.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Correct ---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ---------- What does brand have to do with anything. I have two different spring brands on my car with another shock/strut brand. Best riding mustang i've been in.
Parts that are R&D together stick together 👍
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
What are people matching? That's what I am confused about.
The spring rates are what you're trying to match with the shocks and struts. I think that you need to buy a complete suspension kit to really get a good match. I had some Monroe's on my Bullitt from the PO where the valving was way to light for the springs. Most manufacturers just sell one part# for each car, usually dependent on the weight of the vehicle. This is where adjustable shocks and struts come into play and allow you to adjust the valving to match the set-up on the car.
I'm not sure why people are saying that mismatched springs and struts wear out faster though. You're still driving over the same bumpy roads...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
How much tread is left on your tires? It's surprising how much worse the ride gets as the tires wear out.
Tires are about 6 months old
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Tires are about 6 months old
Lol. I completely wore out a set in 6 months.
How many miles are on your car?
Have the strut bushings ever been replaced?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
The spring rates are what you're trying to match with the shocks and struts. I think that you need to buy a complete suspension kit to really get a good match. I had some Monroe's on my Bullitt from the PO where the valving was way to light for the springs. Most manufacturers just sell one part# for each car, usually dependent on the weight of the vehicle. This is where adjustable shocks and struts come into play and allow you to adjust the valving to match the set-up on the car. I'm not sure why people are saying that mismatched springs and struts wear out faster though. You're still driving over the same bumpy roads...
I'm not saying mismatched as in different brands. When I say mismatched, I'm referring to wrong springs for the wrong strut/shocks

The reason I'm recommending the same brand, however, is because it takes out the guesswork. Making it easier for most people to pick something and go.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:07 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.